Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t understand how K&N can say that their cold air intake will give me an extra 20 horsepower. They even show a before and after dyno chart of the Dodge Charger showing a 20 horsepower difference. I have seen many posts on this forum saying that you will, in reality, get only about 5 extra horsepower. Is this false advertising or will it really produce about 20 extra horses? What am I missing?

I appreciate any enlightenment.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
They say what they have to to increase sales. Which model of Charger did they use? Do they say?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
This is based at the flywheel, 5hp at the wheels. Do they add power, not sure but they do make the car sound f$%ng mean

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don’t understand how K&N can say that their cold air intake will give me an extra 20 horsepower. They even show a before and after dyno chart of the Dodge Charger showing a 20 horsepower difference. I have seen many posts on this forum saying that you will, in reality, get only about 5 extra horsepower. Is this false advertising or will it really produce about 20 extra horses? What am I missing?

I appreciate any enlightenment.
Thank you very much.
It has got to be true! I saw it in a two page ad in Car & Driver this month. It says the R/T and SRT8 will get 20 more horsepower. Of course, there was this asterisk thing that did not have an explanation.:rolleyes:

I seem to remember a post sometime back where someone had dyno'd their LX before and after installation of the K&N and didn't see any hp gain. He contacted a sales rep at K&N who said something about environmental conditions, blah, blah, blah. I may not remember this completely correctly, but I believe that person plus several other members contacted K&N asking them to prove their hp assertion. What I do remember clearly is that K&N never replied to any of the requests.

Do a search on K&N and dyno and you may find the thread I am thinking about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I didn't do the dyno but there is a significant increase when I installed my K&N (#63) CAI.

I live on a cheap a$$ paved road that is sticky and had a hard tims getting the wheels to slip befor, after the install I was leaving 15 foot tracks on the same piece of road.

Has to be some validity in what they say.

·
Registered
928 Posts
yeah its 20hp at the flywheel, or on the engine dyno, not at the wheels. If you read more of the forums you will see, pretty much everyone agress that if you add just a CAI you wont gain much, but throw in a few other mods and it will make a signifigant diffrence.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
they get more horsepower due to how terrible they filter. hold a k and n up to a light and see how big particles of dirt can get through there. Or ask any ford guy with a 7.3 who got his warranty claim on his dusted turbo denied cause he had a k and n on there.
Just give it some research and look around. k and N isnt all its shaken up to be

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
TBH, I see a LOT of flakey advertising here - especially on automotive after-market mods/parts. Some are smoke and mirrors, some stretch the truth and some are complete BS. I have no idea why people aren't taken to task over it - but it seems mod manufacturers can just come out with any old chit and get away with it......

K&N 'might' have had one test where they measure/extrapolated a 20hp increase on one engine - and that's what they'll base their claims on. All engines run differently - even off the production line (although I suspect that it isn't as bed as it used to be) and it could be that 1 out of 56 engines gets close to that figure, whilst 6 out of 56 manage around 5hp.

There will be a huge variation (between a potantial loss and their top 20hp claim) and it's just the way that the adverts are worded........

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
they get more horsepower due to how terrible they filter. hold a k and n up to a light and see how big particles of dirt can get through there. Or ask any ford guy with a 7.3 who got his warranty claim on his dusted turbo denied cause he had a k and n on there.
Just give it some research and look around. k and N isnt all its shaken up to be
K&N fib? Naw...... :D

Here's all you need to know about what K&N "does for you."

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Nothing like a standard ISO testing rig to separate the gold from the fertilizer.

Best,

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its usually a Max increase of 20 hp. Not necessarily a 20hp increase in Max HP. That 20 HP might come lower in the RPM range but only 5 or 10 at the very Max

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Maybe their CAI does give you a 5-21 HP increase, and maybe it doesn't. I got the 63 series and didn't notice much of a difference, hell I didn't even notice alot of change in the sound, but whatever. What I want to know is, what about the other CAI,AFE AEM, Mopar, AirAid, are they full of s**t too?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had noticable dfference on my SRT with the 63 series. Maybee it is a condition of many factors including the fact each car is different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts