Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some thought, I realized this car won't be a great platform to modify.
Here's my reasoning:

1. For some reason you loose a lot of time off the line due to the computer not opening up the throttle all the way and engaging the tranny, etc. I can't explain exactly what’s happening there because I don't know for sure but the full output of this vehicle is not engaged when you first punch it.

2. This car is so heavy you’re really have to put down close to 500 hp to get this thing to really go and on this power train it's probably not worth the money.

3. Here in Tucson, everything is light to light and you don't usually get up over 50 mph due to the lights being so close together and there are cops everywhere!!!

4. They don't offer this car in a manual tranny which is great for racing because you don't loose as much HP through the power train and you don't have to rely on the tranny to shift.

5. The parts are way to expensive for this car, cat backs for 900 when I could buy a cat back for my mustang for 350. **** that’s just ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great car and I'm very happy with the performance and style of my car. My Daytona is going to make a great family car and it's everything I need but in reality this car should have been able to keep up with the mustang from the factory without having to spend 50,000 on an SRT8.

·
Banned
113 Posts
This is by no means a race car or even a sports car.

It is still worth modding :) just do that cheap mod to knock out the resonators (I"m going catback and later headers) CAI or at LEAST K&N drop in are about as many mods as normal people would do. beyond that, if you want a project car buy something older and work on it :) I'm thinkig about buying a solstice or a miata and beefing them up for my "fun" car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
Here's my reasoning:

1. For some reason you loose a lot of time off the line due to the computer not opening up the throttle all the way and engaging the tranny, etc. I can't explain exactly what’s happening there because I don't know for sure but the full output of this vehicle is not engaged when you first punch it..
I haven't started the mods yet (to start next week), so I can't comment on this...but I haven't heard any complaints from the other guys here...

Go ManGo! said:
2. This car is so heavy you’re really have to put down close to 500 hp to get this thing to really go and on this power train it's probably not worth the money..
People realize that a 2 ton car will be slower off of the line than a lighter Mustang for say...but it still pulls in the high 13's/ low 14's...dude that is awesome for that weight!

Go ManGo! said:
3. Here in Tucson, everything is light to light and you don't usually get up over 50 mph due to the lights being so close together and there are cops everywhere!!!.
[For legal and litigious purposes] You should only race at a qualified track. :whistle:

Go ManGo! said:
4. They don't offer this car in a manual tranny which is great for racing because you don't loose as much HP through the power train and you don't have to rely on the tranny to shift..
It does have the tiptronic style/ manumatic transmission, which gives the driver much more control on shifting, etc. Plus it is smart, so it won't let you over rev, which you lose time on any way. Also, I hear the GSM torque mgmt part helps out a lot on precision shifting among other things.

Go ManGo! said:
5. The parts are way to expensive for this car, cat backs for 900 when I could buy a cat back for my mustang for 350. **** that’s just ridiculous..
Keep in mind, that this is a $35k car (at least mine was after options...how much is a Mustang or one of those ricers? It is the best luxury/ muscle car in production from my opinion. Also, it is a first year production machine. Prices will come down once competition among vendors rises...right now, not to many vendors are making parts, etc. for it. You can't expect to get a 1st year production car and find all the chips out, cheap exhausts, etc. It wouldn't happen on any car like this.

Go ManGo! said:
Don't get me wrong, this is a great car and I'm very happy with the performance and style of my car. My Daytona is going to make a great family car and it's everything I need but in reality this car should have been able to keep up with the mustang from the factory without having to spend 50,000 on an SRT8
I can keep up with the Mustang and again, it weighs a hell of a lot more than the Mustang does, which translates into safer for your family and kids if there is an accident (pray not though). So the advantages outweigh the disadvantages...

Well...I still think that adding those basic mods (exhaust, CAI, etc.) will give you a little more edge than not. And the more mods = the more HP and torque... A little here, a little there...then you turn around and you are in the 12's (lol...maybe with a s/c) and the thing stills weighs over 2 tonnes! Put that in a mustangs tailpipe and tell 'em to smoke it! :rockon:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
farkedup said:

It is still worth modding :) just do that cheap mod to knock out the resonators (I"m going catback and later headers) CAI or at LEAST K&N drop in are about as many mods as normal people would do. beyond that, if you want a project car buy something older and work on it :) I'm thinkig about buying a solstice or a miata and beefing them up for my "fun" car.

i can see it now, farkedup driving around with a miata pushing 600hp......zoom zooom a gokart that is all engine!!! LOL

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't get me wrong guys, I totally dig this car and I'm really happy with it. If I wanted to buy a mustang I would have, this car does everything I need it to. I'm just in a quandary about whether to mod or just keep it stock.

You have to admitt though, the car off the line hesitates and not because of the weight but its engineered that way.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
Here's my reasoning:

1. For some reason you loose a lot of time off the line due to the computer not opening up the throttle all the way and engaging the tranny, etc. I can't explain exactly what?s happening there because I don't know for sure but the full output of this vehicle is not engaged when you first punch it.

2. This car is so heavy you?re really have to put down close to 500 hp to get this thing to really go and on this power train it's probably not worth the money.

3. Here in Tucson, everything is light to light and you don't usually get up over 50 mph due to the lights being so close together and there are cops everywhere!!!

4. They don't offer this car in a manual tranny which is great for racing because you don't loose as much HP through the power train and you don't have to rely on the tranny to shift.

5. The parts are way to expensive for this car, cat backs for 900 when I could buy a cat back for my mustang for 350. **** that?s just ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great car and I'm very happy with the performance and style of my car. My Daytona is going to make a great family car and it's everything I need but in reality this car should have been able to keep up with the mustang from the factory without having to spend 50,000 on an SRT8.
How long did it take you to come to these conclusions?
(I bet this thread turns in to a GTO and Mustang discussion.)

Your points 2-5 are pretty much understood by all at this point. If you don't understand after 10 minutes on any of the LX car forums or looking at the car live that this is a heavy, automatic, that is highly computer controlled then your not paying attention.

This does not mean that the car is not a great platform for modifying. It just depends on what you expect the car to do. You can?t expect a drag car to ride like a Cadillac, nor can you expect a Cadillac to post ET? like a drag car.

As far as comment #1
I?m don?t know why you think the throttle does not open all the way when you floor it.
The slow response is pretty much understood to be the Torque management. (I could be wrong) But according to my throttle position sensor it goes to 100% as soon as I floor.
________
Depakote lawsuit information

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
without having to spend 50,000 on an SRT8.
I'm buying my SRT-8 for $43,115 not $50K. From what I've seen on the costs to modify the R/T for more HP, you might as well just buy the SRT-8 and be done with it!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
moparfan said:
I'm buying my SRT-8 for $43,115 not $50K. From what I've seen on the costs to modify the R/T for more HP, you might as well just buy the SRT-8 and be done with it!
When I went to the dealer they to pickup my car they had an srt8 magnum for 52,000. Now I know you can order them and wait but if you actually go to the dealer to buy one off the lot your gonna spend some money.

·
Registered
92 Posts
my gto was near 4000 with the stereo in it...there not much lighter then a charger and they only put out 365tq...302 at the wheels with a catback/tune on mine

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maneval69 said:
How long did it take you to come to these conclusions?
(I bet this thread turns in to a GTO and Mustang discussion.)
Not long

Your points 2-5 are pretty much understood by all at this point. If you don't understand after 10 minutes on any of the LX car forums or looking at the car live that this is a heavy, automatic, that is highly computer controlled then your not paying attention.
I was paying attention, (Thanks for the undertone :bored: )

This does not mean that the car is not a great platform for modifying. It just depends on what you expect the car to do. You can’t expect a drag car to ride like a Cadillac, nor can you expect a Cadillac to post ET’ like a drag car.
I've built plenty a Hot Rod and understand the mechanics of luxury V. race car.

As far as comment #1
I’m don’t know why you think the throttle does not open all the way when you floor it.
The slow response is pretty much understood to be the Torque management. (I could be wrong) But according to my throttle position sensor it goes to 100% as soon as I floor.
This is the only thing you've said that makes any sense.

Thanks for your response

Rod

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
farkedup said:

Good input, I think I'll do some of the small stuff and call it a day. As far as another vehicle goes, I'm looking at getting a second hand truck so I can haul crap and go to home depot, etc.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just want to re-iterate that the Charger rocks and I'm very happy with this car. It's one of the best cars I've ever driven :) and I would recommend this car to anyone who wants the best of both worlds(quick and Luxurious).

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
they had an srt8 magnum for 52,000
Just got back from the dealership where I ordered my Charger SRT-8 and they have a Black Magnum SRT-8. Has all options and Sales Mgr. said he would sell it to me for $42K on the spot. :grin:

Tucson market area is jackin the prices way up on you.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
moparfan said:
Just got back from the dealership where I ordered my Charger SRT-8 and they have a Black Magnum SRT-8. Has all options and Sales Mgr. said he would sell it to me for $42K on the spot. :grin:

Tucson market area is jackin the prices way up on you.
We'll see how competitive the market gets as the SRT's(Charger) start to trickle out. The area does make a difference as well.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Understood and agreed.

Just glad I have my Charger SRT-8 Buyer's Order at $43,115 signed by the Sales Mgr.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sorry to be so contemptuous in dealing with your observations but this seem to come up every couple of weeks.
Someone talks about how hard and expensive it is going to be to mod this car. Then you hear the revelations about why this is.
I have been reading for a year now how the LX is not offered in a manual, there is no tuner available, no posi, and it's slow off the line.
I just thing it is a given now.

As far as my statements making sense, they all do.
I think you mean that only the last comment could be considered constructive or relevant.

but in reality this car should have been able to keep up with the mustang from the factory without having to spend 50,000 on an SRT8.
Who's reality? I?m sure for a lot less than 50,000 I can get my charger to out run a stock Mustang. This is the reason I got snippy.
For some reason you and a lot of people have some ridicules idea that this car should run with a Mustang at the track.
That?s what the Cadillac ? Race car analogy was intended to demonstrate.

I did not want to bash you, I wanted to bash the conversation. You were just in the line of fire.
Sorry again.
________
Vaporizer

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maneval69 said:
Sorry to be so contemptuous in dealing with your observations but this seem to come up every couple of weeks.
Someone talks about how hard and expensive it is going to be to mod this car. Then you hear the revelations about why this is.
I have been reading for a year now how the LX is not offered in a manual, there is no tuner available, no posi, and it's slow off the line.
I just thing it is a given now.

As far as my statements making sense, they all do.
I think you mean that only the last comment could be considered constructive or relevant.

Who's reality? I’m sure for a lot less than 50,000 I can get my charger to out run a stock Mustang. This is the reason I got snippy.
For some reason you and a lot of people have some ridicules idea that this car should run with a Mustang at the track.
That’s what the Cadillac – Race car analogy was intended to demonstrate.

I did not want to bash you, I wanted to bash the conversation. You were just in the line of fire.
Sorry again.
I appreciate your comments and I do agree with you, my thoughts weren't well thought out when I made those statements(comparing the charger to the mustang). Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
403 Posts
As far as comment #1
I’m don’t know why you think the throttle does not open all the way when you floor it.
The slow response is pretty much understood to be the Torque management. (I could be wrong) But according to my throttle position sensor it goes to 100% as soon as I floor.[/QUOTE]

Which system does this car use. Does it use the throttle to close off to limit overall power, use the torque converter, or is it a timing retard setup?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GoofyGuy said:
Which system does this car use. Does it use the throttle to close off to limit overall power, use the torque converter, or is it a timing retard setup?
Again, I could be wrong but the only evidence I have is the service manual only references the Torque Management as cutting injector pulses and retarding timing.

I would think the speed limiter would use the throttle position to control speed.

The throttle position sensor I was referring to is actually the peddle position (I checked that on the way home from work). So, that means the throttle could be closing without showing any change in the peddle %.
I guess the only way to tell would be to tap into the throttle signal and read the voltage if that?s possible.

All these are controlled be the PCM so it could be a combination of all three.

I am pretty sure the torque converter does not have anything to do with any of the power reduction scenarios.
________
VAPORIZER INFO

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
moparfan said:

ok was going to stay out of this thread and just watch until i came over this one....headers=1200.....cams and heads=1000 and these are getting over 81 to the wheel based on hotrod mags....mmmmmm i think we can get srt numbers without spending as much....my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts