Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove an R/T for the second time yesterday. When I pulled back into the dealers lot, I played around with the navi for a while. I have to say, I wasn't impressed. The screen was small, the interface was anything but intuitive, and the thing was slow as molasses. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the one in my Acura. I had always heard that Honda made the best factory installed navis, but I didn't realize just how much of a difference there is between one system and another.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yup, I thought the same thing. This is why I ordered my R/T with the stock stereo, which I'm replacing with an in-dash MP3 player. My Garmin StreetPilot 2610 will continue to fulfill my nav needs, and though it won't look as nice as having a nice in-dash model, I can put it directly in my field of view on the dash, and it's got a much better interface. And, easier to upgrade with new maps, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, Honda and Acura are awesome as far as factory Nav goes. I also ordered mine w/o the nav. I'll be doing an Alpine headunit and Navi which, for a couple hundred more than the dealer wants for the nav, blows away the factory nav and radio.

·
Registered
91 Posts
SEDave said:
Yes, Honda and Acura are awesome as far as factory Nav goes. I also ordered mine w/o the nav. I'll be doing an Alpine headunit and Navi which, for a couple hundred more than the dealer wants for the nav, blows away the factory nav and radio.
The factory Navigation unit is made by Alpine...

·
Registered
82 Posts
TommyLee said:
The factory Navigation unit is made by Alpine...
Boston Acoustics makes the speakers too... but I can still replace them with BA speakers that blow the ones it comes with away :wink:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
with getting the Daytona with the color matched center stack... cutting and patching it would look tacky... and with all of the issues and horror stories I have heard about trying to install aftermarket radios in these cars (not compatible with the can/bus) I went stock nav.... it may not be the best out there, may not be the biggest screen... but the trim was designed to fit with it, and I will not have a chopped up dash, and I don't plan to use it much.... to me it is one of those... if I don't get it... I will always wish I did.... but I will never spend the cash after I have the car to add a Nav later....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought Chrysler owned Alpine? At least that's what my mother said and she has worked for Ma Mopar for several years. I may have my brands mixed up, but I know they bought out a entity and it's been kept kind of quiet. :asleep:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
rtmike said:
I thought Chrysler owned Alpine? At least that's what my mother said and she has worked for Ma Mopar for several years. I may have my brands mixed up, but I know they bought out a entity and it's been kept kind of quiet. :asleep:
as per alpines website

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc., is the industry-leading manufacturer of high performance mobile electronics, founded in 1978. Alpine is the only manufacturer specializing in mobile multimedia, an integrated system approach incorporating digital entertainment, security and navigation products for your mobile entertainment. As a consolidated subsidiary of Alps Electric Co., Ltd., one of the world's premier manufacturers of electronic components for computer, communications and car electronic equipment, Alpine is the specialized supplier of quality mobile electronics systems.
So they are owned by Alps Electric Co
Here is there website....
http://www.alps.co.jp/index_e.htm

alpine electronics can be found on the "group sites" page

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DAYTONA_R/T said:
... to me it is one of those... if I don't get it... I will always wish I did ...
Amen! If you're already spending that kind of money, you might as well go for broke. It may not be the best nav out there, but it will still keep you from getting lost. :yes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll call her tomorrow and get my story straight. :embarrese

At the sake of opening mouth, inserting foot. Was it Infinity? Actually I had to go out and look in my 300. :whistle: Yeah so what, I'm old and forget stuff. :happy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts