Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this car you really have to rotate the tires or keep the ESP on. Otherwise your rear tires are shot in 10,000 miles. I ran 245/45-20 Avon MTech 550 A/S all the way around but need more grip.

Has anyone run the 255s up front?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm running 255/45/20 up front, on the stock SRT8 20" wheels.

No problems whatsoever.

Although personally, I'm a little OCD and so it seems the front tires "look" just a smidgen too big, so I might go back to 245/45/20 up front next time.. Still not sure. I like knowing I have more traction and potentially longer life with the 255s.

FYI, I'm running 285/40/20 in the back.

Nitto NT420S on all four. I love them, although they don't have the traction the OEM F1s did, they seem to be lasting longer, and have a nice aggressive look (esp. the 285s viewed from the rear!).

I'd really like to go 295 or 305 in the back, but I need wider wheels.. :(

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
With this car you really have to rotate the tires or keep the ESP on. Otherwise your rear tires are shot in 10,000 miles. I ran 245/45-20 Avon MTech 550 A/S all the way around but need more grip.
My next set will be 255/45's up front, and 275/40's in the rear. Sure, I can't rotate, but the extra rubber on the back will be welcomed. I grow tired of leaving rubber wherever I go....

Lots of folks with 255's on the front, no worries.

·
Registered
275 Posts

I have the Toyo's 255 all the way around without any problems. My original RSA's lasted 16K.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

I think I am going 255s all the way around.

Maybe in a year or so when I start modding I will go to 285s in the rear since the 255s will not get grip

·
Registered
676 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever running the 255's up front. As for the rears the largest I have heard people running without any rubbing is 305's. When my tires finally wear out, which won't be for a long time, I'm going to get the beefiest tires I can fit all four corners. Don't care if they are the same or not.....but the widest I can fit. Guess that means new rims too, the chain reaction modding sickness never dies :lol:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Thanks guys
I think I am going 255s all the way around.
Maybe in a year or so when I start modding I will go to 285s in the rear since the 255s will not get grip
The widest tire within spec for a stock rim is 275, although a lot of 285s are driving around. If you stagger with wider rims, no problema.

·
Registered
571 Posts
With stickier 275s in the back, I've blown two diffs, a u-joint, and cracked the rear cross member.

I am going back to 255 in the rear.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
The widest tire within spec for a stock rim is 275, although a lot of 285s are driving around. If you stagger with wider rims, no problema.
Actually that depends on the tire manufacturer rating more so than the rim width.

OP: thousands of miles on the 255s w/ F1s - no problems....

Added bonus - got them installed at a nearby Goodyear dealer, bought the road hazard warranty, they change my oil for $20 (I supply it) and the rotations are FREE!!!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
With stickier 275s in the back, I've blown two diffs, a u-joint, and cracked the rear cross member.

It would be wise if you disclosed your mods.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Isn't Jamos the person who went through 3 sets of tires in 4 months? That would explain the breaking of parts. If it wasn't you Jamos, I apologise.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Very interesting indeed

How many people have upgraded to a Quaife and the GSM half shafts?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Ya, something's up with that car.
Considering the SRT TE gets about 80 miles out of a set of tires and those cars are beat on like crazy, it seems like serious driver judgement with that guy.

Like doing burnouts going up and down curbs? :rolleyes:

You know - ASSuming he's close to stock.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts