Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my predator. Seems like alot of members swear by the 180* thermostat. Is this a necessity to get the full benefits of the tuner? I also have the hemi builder's guide to performance mods and it states that changing to a lower thermostat is a myth for performance and could be a problem with startup and codes if you live in a colder climate. I live in New York, and we definitely have cold winters and I don't want a problem. Diablosport states that it was tested on a stock car with great results, however; I would appreciate some input from my fellow charger owners. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
From what I have read, you can use the fan to cool it off. But it you get the T-stat, you need to use either a fan mod or the predator to make use of it actually lowering your temp.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
no, its not necessary.
most people who use them live in warm climates, who realyl suffer from heat soak getting to their engine quickly, and people at the track who wanna cool off as fast as possible.

ive found that this car runs best between 185-195. the stock tstat is 202.

with a predator, you probably dont really even need a tstat if you live up north.

its not a myth however. it doesnt make your car go faster or get more horses just by having one.
it just makes it so your engine can cool faster and start cooling sooner, thus preventing the loss of horsies.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ran a factory 205* thermostat in my Z06 and used the Predator for the Vette to turn the fans on at lower temps, for drag racing. Plan to do the same thing with my Daytona. I'll throw a 180* in when it needs a coolant change. Until then, I'll stick with the factory one.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The hemis' lose HP once they hit 190 degrees and up. This is not a myth.

So, engine combustion is what generates heat in the engine. If you had no cooling system at all, the engine will self destruct rather quickly.

Exhaust temps are somewhere in the 500 F and up per cylinder. How long do you think it will take to heat the engine up to 180 F? Not long at all for a V8.

So, what does a 180 t-stat do then? It allows the engine to warm up fast, then it opens to allow coolant from the radiator to maintain the 180 F.

However, once the volume of coolant is saturated with engine heat and is not sufficient to maintain the 180 F, the fans are used to do the cooling down of the engine coolant and in turn engine temp. If the fans reduce the coolant temp to under 180 F, the t-stat closes and the engine temp relies on exhaust gas combustion temps to bring the engine back to 180 F. This is how the older cars work with a fan attached to the water pump.

But since we have electronic fans, we can program at what temp the fans are to come on, and when to shut off.

If the radiator fans fail, the car will overheat pretty quickly. No t-stat in the world is going to save you.

In other words, you can maintain 180 F engine temp with a 205 t-stat; however, the radiator fans will be running non-stop and the engine temps will be varying a lot based on your driving habits. A 180 t-stat with a properly setup fan "on-off" temp range will give the best stability and power.

Oh yeah, HAL will throw a code stating engine temp was not reached by "xxx" time. This is for emission reasons. It won't hurt anything, but will give you an annoying CEL/MIL light. Even with a 180 tstat installed, if you have a predator, just program the fan on/off to 200 F in the winter months. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Crow has just written the best overview on this issue I've seen. Thanks for taking the time....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the info Crow. Happy Motoring!!!!!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Since The thread already started.....I Have my predator and installed the performance 93 tune, it's awesome!! Thing is is that it constantly has the fans on, from pretty much a minute after I start driving, till I shut the thing down. Will a lower t-stat like a 180 help cool the engine faster and help shut the fans down to give them a little break every now and then??

Thanks
Marcos

·
Registered
743 Posts
Since The thread already started.....I Have my predator and installed the performance 93 tune, it's awesome!! Thing is is that it constantly has the fans on, from pretty much a minute after I start driving, till I shut the thing down. Will a lower t-stat like a 180 help cool the engine faster and help shut the fans down to give them a little break every now and then??
Did you read the rest of this thread?...
If so, you would have seen the answer is YES

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
from what im reading you can set your fan temps higher so that they will run the same as stock with the higher predator tune so the fans wont burn out too fast

·
Registered
424 Posts
from what im reading you can set your fan temps higher so that they will run the same as stock with the higher predator tune so the fans wont burn out too fast
That's what I did. Before I changed it back to the stock settings the fans ran all the time.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
take your stock fan settings write them down then put the 93 on your car and change the fan settings to what you wrote down and boom fan runs like normal and car runs with the stock thermo at the stock running temp

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are you finding the stock fan settings by using a program within the predator before loading the 93 tune?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Question on the T Stat. I just received a Predator kit from Tbyrne and it included a 180 deg T Stat. but the T Stat (Napa part) flow diameter is about 1 in. the OEM is 1.5 in. Does someone have a part number / source for a 180 deg T Stat with a 1.5 in flow?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
For normal every day driving I leave the fans at the stock settings with a 180* stat.
At the track I set them at 160* (AC OFF) and I also use the .25 fan mod between runs.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I will be ordering one today, but wanted to know should I wait on installing it until I tune my car with the predator? I just got the predator last week but don't want to screw with it and screw something up. Also is there anything else necessary to have it run 'correctly'?

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
From what I'm reading, it seems like loading the 93 tune LOWERS the fan settings automatically.

It didn't do that for me. The Diablo doesn't automatically lower my fan settings.

I had a 170 degree tstat. I didn't like it. It made my car drive awful on the highway and gave me really bad gas mileage.

I might try the 180 and see if that's better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts