Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well on Monday I had dropped my wheels off at the powdercoater, HOPING to get them back as we speak, put back together and back on by 5 pm.......huge change of plans

I woke up at 9 am to a phone call from the PC place, saying that when they started to sand blast, they got completely through one rim with no problems, but, halfway through rim number two the chrome plating started to peel on the lip. I woke my ass up and got down there. sure enough, the plating was coming off in an area about 4 inches long and 3 wide. reminded me exactly of trying to get the chrome plating off my crosshairs a while back. some areas had super high parts, and some super super low parts that came off with some sanding.

long story short, i picked them up and took them to CalChrome, a place out here that does large scale chroming for only rims (insane warehouse btw...i thought i was leaning against a wall but it was over 100 boxes of 22x10 rims!). only problem with this, is its a 140 bucks i didnt want to spend, but deep in my head i knew i should have done in the first place before pressing my luck with chrome. also, the rims can be dechromed anywhere between 3 days to 2 weeks from now.....they need at least 50 rims to use the dechroming solution

so stupid. done ranting.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
At least there is a chrome shop close to you. I had my stock rims for my truck that the previous owner had chrome plated and it was a poor job. The chrome started to flake off and discolor. Only one shop in town does custom wheel work, and they have to send rims off out of state for chroming or d-echroming. $75 a rim shipping plus whatever it was going to cost to remove the chrome. The rims weren't worth that much for all the work, so I just bought the ones I have now instead.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I can feel your pain on the wait, took 30 days exactly to have my wheels chrome stripped and powder coated. Reason was apparently when they use acid instead of sand blasting it can leave small pits in the metal and they kept showing up when the were being powder coated. All in all I think they were stripped and re-powder coated about 5 times because the owner wasn't happy with how they came out. It was a crappy wait, but they came out flawless.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can feel your pain on the wait, took 30 days exactly to have my wheels chrome stripped and powder coated. Reason was apparently when they use acid instead of sand blasting it can leave small pits in the metal and they kept showing up when the were being powder coated. All in all I think they were stripped and re-powder coated about 5 times because the owner wasn't happy with how they came out. It was a crappy wait, but they came out flawless
ahhh. sucks dont it? glad they turned out great. im sure mine will now that the PCer will have a blank and flawless canvas to work with. and hopefully when he has them he can hurry up with them and the turnover will be quick.

At least there is a chrome shop close to you. I had my stock rims for my truck that the previous owner had chrome plated and it was a poor job. The chrome started to flake off and discolor. Only one shop in town does custom wheel work, and they have to send rims off out of state for chroming or d-echroming. $75 a rim shipping plus whatever it was going to cost to remove the chrome. The rims weren't worth that much for all the work, so I just bought the ones I have now instead.
true that. i remembered when i started looking into powder i accidetally came across a chroming place almost a few blocks away from the PCer. soon as i hung up the phone with the powder place this morning, i typed in some stuff in google, and oddly enough it was the first place to pop up. they took my wheels, will dechrome, they tested them to see if they were true or bent, and strip the paint all for 35 a wheel. i was sold. hell, if i wanted to, they could even put them back on the car and balance them right there in the shop. good bunch of guys with good service over at CalChrome. So far, i recommend them

Were they trying to remove the black?
yeah, they were trying to remove the black. im not sure why they decided to sandblast over the chrome on the lips (i guess they didnt want to mask), but they did. like i said....one wheel was perfect looking, and the second one was halfway good and halfway like crap with the peeling. i read and heard from here and other sources that they could have just tried to powder over the chrome and not **** with it, but i figure that because of the low spot in the chrome this would have happened when they baked the rims. i guess its a good thing this happened BEFORE they powdered and not after, and have to wait more and possibly pay double for the botched job

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recommend CalChrome for any of your chrome or powdercoat/painting needs as well... Just ordered a set of wheels from them and it took only 2 weeks or less to get the job done. Matter of fact they shipped out yesterday. Sent me pics of the fresh wheels and all before they sent. Excellent communication too. And Im from TX.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recommend CalChrome for any of your chrome or powdercoat/painting needs as well... Just ordered a set of wheels from them and it took only 2 weeks or less to get the job done. Matter of fact they shipped out yesterday. Sent me pics of the fresh wheels and all before they sent. Excellent communication too. And Im from TX.
Looking at their front office, i could tell they did that. and every single phone call i overheard, they were nothing but polite and seemed to be good friends with whoever it was and for whatever reason. two walls of their front office were just rows of clipboards, one per customer with pictures of their job, statuses and invoices. they are on their game

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Dammm that sux Bugs!

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Sorry to hear that bugz, but it sounds like Calchrome is the chit! :rocker:

Good luck with everything...can't wait to see the final result!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
what are your plans to do with them.. scheme and all that.. i liked the way they looked before... maybe i missed your thread on what your intentions were.. whats the secret?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i DID want to do a gloss/matte combo, but with all the masking needed and it having to be powdered twice it was around 250 per wheel. no thanks. then i decided to just go all matte with them. while they were at the PCer the first time, i had a revelation of how to add some silver steel into them. I need to find some more wheel rivets and paint them silver steel. itll be super subtle, but enough color to make you look closer at them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts