Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my IPOD integration kit today and I love it!! No more static from the old FM transmitter and use of steering wheel controls, who could ask for more. As for delay, I really did not notice much, but just played with it after getting it in. Will have to see how it is on the drive to work. It is well worth it for sound quality. Guess I now have to the full Mopar Kicker upgrade.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was at the service center today and asked about this kit. Price was $215 plus 1 hr labor to install. What was involved on the install? Was it an easy DIY?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine costs under $20....If you have the VES system, you add a splitter to the auxillery plug ins and run a standard connecting cord. Plays directly through the stereo (no FM transmitter) and virtually no delay. The only difference between that and the mopar one is that it doesn't show the song info on the nav screen...but to save $200, I can deal with having to look at my ipod occassionally to see what's playing or change songs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was at the service center today and asked about this kit. Price was $215 plus 1 hr labor to install. What was involved on the install? Was it an easy DIY?

Install was easy and kit came with all the instructions. If you wanna save a few bucks look on MoparSuperCenter.com for the kit.

Mine costs under $20....If you have the VES system, you add a splitter to the auxillery plug ins and run a standard connecting cord. Plays directly through the stereo (no FM transmitter) and virtually no delay. The only difference between that and the mopar one is that it doesn't show the song info on the nav screen...but to save $200, I can deal with having to look at my ipod occassionally to see what's playing or change songs.
I went from a FM transmitter to this kit and it was worth every penny!! Improved sound quality, song/artist/album info on my nav screen and control of IPOD through stereo and steering wheel controls is awsome!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
*laugh* Of course, I went the hard way. I flushmounted an XBox360 in the back seat. My favorite music is all saved on the hard drive or I can connect the iPod directly through the USB on the Xbox and run it that way. I can only use the radio controls, however, to adjust volume. Everything else is done through the 360 controller or the iPod itself. But in this manner, I can also easily watch all the movies on my iPod as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do not have the VES system. Moparsupercenter.com has the kit for $191. Did you mount it in the glovebox? Is it a simple plug and play to the rear of the head unit w/o removing the radio from the dash? Are there instructions anywhere on the web for this that anyone knows about? I have searched, but so far no luck.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to remove the radio, not hard at all. There is a little control box you have to mount to a cross member behind the radio. Then plug in some wires, feed wires to the glove box and put it all back together. Instructions, and any parts needed (rubber gromit for glove box, zip ties) come with the kit. Just need a hole saw for the hole in the glove box. Very easy about 30-45 mins total instal time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well I just did this today. The hole saw was $10. Had to buy a cordless drill.. ok so this is geting expensive... but I needed a new one anyway. I was quoted 2 hours of Labor from my local dealer so I may be breaking even. I did have a little problem. The placement on the box unit wouldnt fit corectly where the directions said it would. Seems there is a bezel of white plastic that goes on the before the radio goes back in on my 2007. Got some of the heavy duty velcro I had and mounted it to the front of the white bezel. Will take some pics of it. Getting used to the controls was at first a little frustrating but I realized I wasn't being patient enough on the channel delay. Sounds great and cleans up my console ... no using the tape player and the lighter for a power source. Took me all of 45 min even with my little hickup. The only thing that gave me a concern was the 4 pin connector attached to the cable that turns on the hazards and the esp. Wasn't sure if it was originally attached to something so I was a bit concerned but deducted that the foam tape around it made me think it had another function.... hopefully that is correct. The kit is easy to install if you take your time and don't rush it. I think as I learn the functionality of the kit I will enjoy it more and more

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great to hear! The improved sound quality makes it all worth it. The delay is not what I imagined from reading others posts. I mainly just shuffle my entire IPOD so I am not bothered by the delay you would get if you were searching for a specific artist or album. Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Instead of buying an ipod integration kit Im looking into putting an aftermarket dvd touch screen in that has ipod ports on it. Looks like they will run less than $300. Just an Idea

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great! Thanks for the info. I found this at Hunt radio. seems like the real deal for $50 savings over list. I will try to call tomorrow to see if it is the same as the stock part.http://www.hunt-radio.com/ServiceParts2.aspx?PartNo=82209617AB
To whomever was thinking about this supplier, don't bother. They are out of stock and will not be getting any more in. Seems strange to me since I thought this was a new item. Looks like I'll try moparsupercenter.
About the bezel, how easy is it to remove? I seem to break off those little tabs which hold those things in place when I pull at faceplates. Is there a specific way or do I just start at the top and pull around the perimeter?

·
Registered
329 Posts
where do you leave the ipod once you have the dealer install it? in the glovebox? and hows the sound.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i have also been told that when you do this you have to lose your sirius radio, can any of you confirm this? cause if that is the case i dont think ill ever do it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For bezel removal, start at the top. Tilt your ac vents all the down, it will give you a place to start pulling from. You have to unhook ESP and AC control wires to completely remove. It is not hard at all. Search forum, I believe there is a write up on bezel removal.

IPOD is in the glove box, whether you or dealer installs. The kit comes with a rubber grommit to put in the back to the glove box. You have to drill a hole.
Sound is one million times better than a FM transmitter.

From what I read in the manual you can have both IPOD and Sat radio.

·
Registered
35 Posts
what kit did you get for under $20? I have no aux connection on the front oviously and the 6 disk changer with serius. wil it work with that?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts