Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many people who store their vehicles or don't drive them often are always looking for ways not to kill their batteries. After all, we have sometimes 12 computers in our cars that are really power hungry.

Nothing like trying to start your car after weeks or months of the power drain to find your battery very low or completely dead.

This is where Chrysler found itself 20 years ago with brand new cars that people wanted to test drive and their batteries were dead. They were dead or very low right off the car carrier!!

So the engineers came up with the IOD fuse that would keep the computers from sucking down all the power. Since I was working with my SRT8 today, I thought I would take a couple pictures and display where it is (at least in my 2006 anyway).....fuse box in the trunk right next to the battery!

Hope for all those who have had a desire without knowing where to look, this helps you take car of your car and your battery!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040

It is the lone fuse directly above the power wire in the first picture, and to the left just beside the red power wire coming into the fuse box in the second picture. It is the fuse closest to the crimp on the red wire! Just pull it up and it stops the ignition, interior lights, and all the computers until you push it back down. :bigthumb:

B.:driving:

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i already told you i'd buy more aces you dont have to butter me up with more fuse threads :grin:

More info

Some of us have over 30 modules, not just a rough 12. I've listed over 38 on here before but few cars have every single one but a loaded srt or daytona easily has near 30.

Now although most modules sleep after an hour they do run off and on. The pcm for instance does fuel system evap testing for up to 24 hours up to key off. The rkm or any door lock/ anti theft system on the car can run constantly.

This i.o.d. is explained in everyone's owners manual. I'm still amazed how people will read a 300 page ipod owners manual and never touch the one for their 40 thousand dollar cars.

This is the fuse that is not even installed at the factory. this fuse is installed at the dealer after the vehicle is sold to keep the batteries from dying while cars sit on the lot for their average 72 days.

This is the complete and utter purpose of this fuse. The owners manual says a week but if you want to extend battery life do it for three days or more in my opinion. Your battery is already in the trunk to keep it more climate controlled and less dirty to make it a 5 year battery instead of a 3 year, push for 6. its just more money in your pocket. Burn 5 calories and pull the fuse and save yourself 125 bucks and maybe a tow truck later.

p.s. from what i've seen the 08+ is completely different with wiring so the iod may be elsewhere but i dont know for sure

·
Registered
526 Posts
Great info for those who's car is getting ready for the winter hibernation.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Great info for those who's car is getting ready for the winter hibernation.
why? cars are water proof. They come with wipers and brakes. I dont understand hibernation. Its not a bear :dunno:

·
Registered
585 Posts
So it's the red 10A fuse... right. Why wouldn't they put it in a more convenient location so that you wouldn't have to get under the floor in the trunk?! Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a IOD switch mod somewhere... particularly easy in Magnums where it could be installed in one of the rear saddle wells.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it's the red 10A fuse... right. Why wouldn't they put it in a more convenient location so that you wouldn't have to get under the floor in the trunk?! Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a IOD switch mod somewhere... particularly easy in Magnums where it could be installed in one of the rear saddle wells.
Tim,

It is the one that looks like a big square with the silver top on it that is surrounded all around by plastic walls, not the 10 amp fuse. Right in the clear plastic it sais IOD.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
why? cars are water proof. They come with wipers and brakes. I dont understand hibernation. Its not a bear :dunno:
Mine hibernates for 2 reasons:

A)OTHER people on the road who don't know how to drive in rain, much less snow

B)they don't know how to plow the roads around here - combine that with morons in Chevy trucks who slide and fishtail all over in a deep snow that freezes over night and you have instant fascia damaging conditions just leaving the driveway.

I haven't pulled the IOD on my car yet, I hope to still drive it a couple more times this year.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine hibernates for 2 reasons:

A)OTHER people on the road who don't know how to drive in rain, much less snow

B)they don't know how to plow the roads around here - combine that with morons in Chevy trucks who slide and fishtail all over in a deep snow that freezes over night and you have instant fascia damaging conditions just leaving the driveway.

I haven't pulled the IOD on my car yet, I hope to still drive it a couple more times this year.
I'm with you Crazy_luck,

But the number one on my list will be Salt...which eats cars for lunch. Here in Ohio, the ones that we do drive year around get oil sprayed every 6 months so that they don't corrode.

Obviously #2 and #3 are on my list although we back out of our driveways instead of drive out frontwards so instead of facia crushing snow, we get to tear off our exhaust systems instead!:biggrinjester:

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Brian, I know why I am up at 0 dark-thirty in the a.m. I work nights and am patrolling in my HEMI now. But you? Einstein never slept either. Me, I have narcolepsy, and work nites. That blows! But I have some serious open roads for data logging.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey I'm in san diego so it's not an issue for me, but i know many put their car to sleep for the winter months to avoid ice roads, salt, winter storms...just called it hibernation for lack of a better term. or i could lie and say i'm a financially independent world traveler who is gone every other month to somewhere else. geez that sounds good, but only get to dream about that one at night...

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey I'm in san diego so it's not an issue for me, but i know many put their car to sleep for the winter months to avoid ice roads, salt, winter storms...just called it hibernation for lack of a better term. or i could lie and say i'm a financially independent world traveler who is gone every other month to somewhere else. geez that sounds good, but only get to dream about that one at night...
Yep,

Just something we have to do here in the Cleveland, Ohio area if we are going to keep the car looking new. Salt eats the brakes, rims and all under body pieces very badly.

Sleep until April!!:rolleyes2:

Thanks
Brian
440-821-9040

·
Registered
162 Posts
i already told you i'd buy more aces you dont have to butter me up with more fuse threads :grin:

p.s. from what i've seen the 08+ is completely different with wiring so the iod may be elsewhere but i dont know for sure

FYI: I have a 2008 Superbee with a build date of 01/08, and mine does have the IOD fuse in the trunk fusebox; maybe they changed the design mid-year, or maybe in the 2009 model year;

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
no thats fine. I just said 08 and newer is different so i wasnt 100% sure but if its still there then thats great.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I restored the pictures that were deleted accidently. Hope it helps you as you don't need a battery mender if you do this.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I tried pulling the IOD fuse but it's pretty hard to pull up by hand. Should I be using a flathead screwdriver or something(don't wanna break it)?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I tried pulling the IOD fuse but it's pretty hard to pull up by hand. Should I be using a flathead screwdriver or something(don't wanna break it)?
No, just grasp it firmly and keep pulling until it pops up or pulls out. Then you can replace it in the up position. Don't ever use a screwdriver!! May need to get a fuse puller, but mine came out after some working back and forth while pulling up.

Good luck!:bigthumb:

Brian
440-821-9040

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hey Brian pulling the fuse was a success but I tried to push it back down just to see if it would go and it's even harder to push it down. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Brian pulling the fuse was a success but I tried to push it back down just to see if it would go and it's even harder to push it down. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
No,

Just push it back down and it will reengage.

Good Luck!

Brian

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just reminding everyone to take advantage of this IOD fuse. Add it to your list if you are storing your car again this year! Aoso good to do if you know your car will sit waiting for a cam or any more than 2-3 days. Computers really eat up the batteries on these cars.;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 20 of 34 Posts