Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I am moving this discussion over from ChallengerTalk and starting its own new thread here. To continue:

I have a 2019 Charger SXT (basically same a Challenger and 300). I bought it new last April, and since my first weekend of ownership, there has been a loud “THUMP" or "WHUMP" from underneath the car about every 5-10 starts. It is super intermittent, and I cannot discern a pattern. It definitely is not coming from the front. Imagine someone underneath the car or in the trunk hitting the structure with a big rubber hammer - one big, solitary THUMP!

It may go a week without doing it, or it may do it two-three times in one day. One thing it has never done is thump first thing in the morning while cold, but it will do it on a cold start in the afternoon. It is more likely to happen, I think, when the car is warm after having been run but not exclusively. The first time it happened, I thought someone next to me had slammed their door really hard.

My first thought was the exhaust was hitting the bottom of the car. I took it to my dealer twice and was told there are no interferences. I was able to get it to do it once in the presence of a service advisor. I left it over a weekend, and he said his techs were able to duplicate it, and it was coming from the stereo because of a voltage spike. It really did not sound like this to me, but my car does have the premium Alpine stereo, and frequently it does sound like it is coming from the subwoofer area. I was told there was a upcoming software upgrade that would fix the problem.

A couple of weeks ago, my dealer installed a software update, and it has made no difference whatsoever.

Some have suggested a backfire. Maybe it is, but it does not sound exactly like one, and I frequently start the car from outside using remote start, and every start from outside the cabin sounds perfect.

Oh, well, I’m not letting this drop. I really believe the dealer does not know what to do, because they have no guidance from FCA. I have bought the factory service manual, and it gives no guidance in this area at all. If it is a radio/stereo problem, the only advice given is to simply replace the faulty parts. There is not much diagnostic guidance given. I have recommended to the dealer to consider replacing either the head unit, amplifier, subwoofer - anything to narrow this down (if it is stereo-related).

I spoke to two other Dodge dealers in an adjoining state, and they had never heard of this problem, either. I’m not sure FCA is onto this problem at all, but I have opened up TWO cases, the latest with a Dodge Cares rep who contacted me on the ChallengerTalk forum. Both my cases were closed with no resolution and with no notification to me they had been closed. I had to contact them to find out the status of the cases. The only "help" offered by Dodge Cares was to contact my dealer, who is not motivated to run this down but did tell me to contact Dodge Cares, who tells me to contact the dealer, who tells me to contact... Well, you get the idea.

My dealer says they have never heard of this problem before, and that's likely true, but the existence of the ChallengerTalk thread shows we are not alone in this. Unfortunately, I feel like FCA has left it in the hands of its customers to figure this problem out, even as the cars are still under full warranty.

If I get any kind of path forward from anyone, I will post here. Please weigh in.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Have you had any issues with the catalytic converter? Maybe some raw fuel in the cat is being ignited on start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had any issues with the catalytic converter? Maybe some raw fuel in the cat is being ignited on start.
Not to my knowledge. I bought this car new and took delivery last April. It made this noise the 3rd or 4th time I ever started it up. So far, there has been no issues with the cats that I know of.

The funny thing is this car never seems to sound the same way twice when starting up. Some starts are smooth and quiet as a new car should sound (and as my wife’s Avalon still sounds after 70k+ miles).Some make some slight slight bumping and clunking sounds, and then every 5-10 starts intermittently gives me a big WHUMP

Weird.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
SUBWOOFER..the wifes Rallye did that when we first got it several times, the wiring connection on the back side was loose. I put some dielectric grease in the connector and worked it on-off 20 to 30 times, and the sound has not come back, but we do turn the volume all the way down before we shut the engine off so it is silent when we start the engine (I hate the stereo blaring on start).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s a good suggestion. I’ll give that a check. I can’t say I’ve tried turning the stereo all the way down, but I have tried turning my phone’s Bluetooth off before starting the car, and the sound can still be there. I did that because my dealer said the software update was related to popping sounds in the stereo when Bluetooth connected. As I said earlier, the software update made no difference to my noise. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
SUBWOOFER..the wifes Rallye did that when we first got it several times, the wiring connection on the back side was loose. I put some dielectric grease in the connector and worked it on-off 20 to 30 times, and the sound has not come back, but we do turn the volume all the way down before we shut the engine off so it is silent when we start the engine (I hate the stereo blaring on start).
You need to get a job at Dodge. They need some help from someone like you that knows their product better than they do. Take this as a compliment because it honestly is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, don’t get me started about Dodge and FCA support. Worst customer support I have ever experienced. Ever. Bar none. From any company. I can’t wait until my car is out of warranty so I do not have to deal with that bunch again. My dealer can’t seem to actually execute any work on my car. On top of this thump sound, there is an ongoing issue from new with a whine in the rear axle. Getting the Service Department to move off bottom dead center to do anything with it is impossible. I have to call and call,
leave message after message and feel lucky to ever get a reply all.

About two months ago I took my car in for a scheduled oil change and tire rotation. Because of my schedule, I left the car there a full week before I could pick it up. Driving it home, I noted the oil change sticker had not been changed, and the car‘s oil change reminder still said 13% oil life remaining. At home I pulled the dipstick and found dark, dirty oil still in the engine. Yep, no oil change performed, and they had not rotated the tires, either. Yep, dealer charged me fully me for both jobs. I took the car to Valvoline for the oil change, then confronted the dealer. He apologized profusely and offered me a refund in the form of a mailed check. 2 months later...no check. Every time I call about getting the check, I find out no one has yet put in a request to cut me a refund check. Angry.

I do not know what Dodge Cares is even useful for. They offer to “help” but in actually have to real help to offer you outside of telling you to contact your dealer.

Useless, useless, useless.

Oh, but the dealer is great at inundating you with emails, in effect bribing their customers with special “offers” for leaving good online reviews. This shady practice has to be the only way their internet reviews are not 0/10.

Extended warranty offers? Why on Earth would I spend money on an extended warranty when I cannot get the service department to fix defects under the normal, standard warranty? This is too much work for me. I now understand why Chrysler went bankrupt several times in its history.

Someone once told me there are two mistakes everyone must make in life: getting married and owning a Chrysler product. This is my first Chrysler product. I get it now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, all,

Has anyone had any more enlightenment on this problem? I have not. Right when all this social distancing thing started, I took my SXT to the dealer for a rear differential replacement. I also asked them to check the subwoofer and its connections, based on what someone on a forum suggested. After keeping the car for three weeks, I'm pretty sure they replaced the differential (it still whines, just differently), but the dealer could not tell me definitively if they did anything to the subwoofer. I'm assuming they did not address it.

I'm seeing more people discuss this issue on some of these forums, and it SEEMS to me this problem is limited to V6 cars, and is a noise related to the exhaust, not the subwoofer or stereo. Most seem to think it is some kind of backfire phenomenon. Still, I personally have not been able to hear anything from outside the car.

There has been nothing from the dealer or FCA about this issue I can find, but my car one year and three months later still does it. No change. Not worse. Not better. A TSB addressing the problem would be the best thing right now, if FCA is even looking into the issue at all. Dodge Cares, which has monitored these forums, has had nothing of value to add that I have found. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have anything significant for an update, but I will say I was looking through a RAM forum (5thgenrams.com) and found a number of new RAM owners describe similar sounds coming from their trucks. Some were able to video the underside of their trucks, and found slight rotation of the driveshafts at startup. This movement caused what sounded to me to be a noise exactly like what I am hearing. Some even reported they do not hear the noise using the remote start. I have never heard the noise using the remote start, either.

At any rate, I do not see why the transmission would transmit torque from the engine to the driveshaft in Park at startup unless there is a transmission/torque converter/controls problem. That power path is supposed to be totally disconnected and sounds to me like it would not be good for the drivetrain long term and maybe a little dangerous if there is a tendency for the driveline to be engaged at startup.

My noise sounds to me to be located primarily in the right rear, but hare again, as you have noted, it also sounds to me to move, sometimes more in the right front passenger seat area, sometimes in the rear center. Strange. I can't predict it.

One thing different from our experiences is the fact many of the RAM owners had trucks with 5.7 Hemis in them, not V6's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just about one year ago today, I took this video of a typical startup thump. All noises on the video are ones being made by the car, not by me. The thump does not come out real well on wimpy computer or cell phone speakers. They can't reproduce the bass. If I play it back over the Alpine car stereo, at a raised volume, the subwoofer really lets the THUMP come out, and it sounds very life-like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so for about 6 weeks now I have been starting the Charger by using the lightest touch on the brake pedal I can get by with - barely pressing the pedal to make up the electrical switches but not (or minimally) pressurizing the brake hydraulics. No thump. Not a single one and this is under a variety of driving conditions, around town, interstate, varying fuel brands, etc.

However, this week, I began starting the car "normally," pressing the brake pedal firmly so the hydraulics get some pressurization. I have gotten two loud thumps, one the loudest I have yet heard, clearly from the back, and hard enough to be felt throughout the entire car.

I don't know what this is. I have never seen this in any of the other dozens of cars I have owned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, here’s the thing. I was able to successfully set up a Dodge Cares case (my 3rd), and that finally progressed to a STAR Engineering case. I made an appointment with my dealer, and FCA Engineering made contact with them. They had my car 2-1/2 weeks.

They found something. FCA is confident the problem was caused by a faulty antenna capacitor. They basically dis-assembled my car’s whole interior to test for bad connections. None were found. For some reason the tech was alerted to the condition of the capacitor, and Chrysler was contacted. He sent them a photo of the capacitor. FCA told them to replace the capacitor, replace the wiring harness, and re-route the harness. FCA says the capacitor was improperly discharging, leading to the THUMP. The advisor told me verbally the harness was found “pinched”. The work order also seems to indicate they replaced a right hand side door speaker. No details on that one, the W/O just says I got a new one.

The rep from Dodge Cares told me a similar problem was found in the RAM trucks, and a fix was rolled out, but it was never rolled out for the Chargers and Challengers. It sounds like the RAM trucks got a software update, too. FCA and the dealer seem confident they have found the problem. Yesterday, I drove the car home and heard no THUMP for 3-4 starts. I know that proves nothing. I’ll drive the car and start it with normal brake pressure and see what happens.

Here’s hoping…

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 09 Dodge Charger V6 3.5 and I also have been having this same exact problem, except never at startup but when I’m at low speeds and accelerate. Not all the time but randomly somewhere around 25mph to 45mph, I’ll get a loud thump or bang noise. I want to say it sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side or middle of the rear end of the car. At first I really thought I got rear ended then after hearing it several other times I was thinking the back axle was gona break or something but my mechanic said everything seems to be fine under there but this thump is loud like a bang the car doesn’t shake or anything when it happens and I do not have any after market stereo system. I been recently noticing a slight thump also when leaving my work parking lot cruising and letting go of the gas peddle when the car start to slow down I’ll hear a thump now too but haven’t further tried to duplicate it or listen for it at these times just because 10hrs of work I just want to hurry and go home

·
Registered
1 Posts
All, I am moving this discussion over from ChallengerTalk and starting its own new thread here. To continue:

I have a 2019 Charger SXT (basically same a Challenger and 300). I bought it new last April, and since my first weekend of ownership, there has been a loud “THUMP" or "WHUMP" from underneath the car about every 5-10 starts. It is super intermittent, and I cannot discern a pattern. It definitely is not coming from the front. Imagine someone underneath the car or in the trunk hitting the structure with a big rubber hammer - one big, solitary THUMP!

It may go a week without doing it, or it may do it two-three times in one day. One thing it has never done is thump first thing in the morning while cold, but it will do it on a cold start in the afternoon. It is more likely to happen, I think, when the car is warm after having been run but not exclusively. The first time it happened, I thought someone next to me had slammed their door really hard.

My first thought was the exhaust was hitting the bottom of the car. I took it to my dealer twice and was told there are no interferences. I was able to get it to do it once in the presence of a service advisor. I left it over a weekend, and he said his techs were able to duplicate it, and it was coming from the stereo because of a voltage spike. It really did not sound like this to me, but my car does have the premium Alpine stereo, and frequently it does sound like it is coming from the subwoofer area. I was told there was a upcoming software upgrade that would fix the problem.

A couple of weeks ago, my dealer installed a software update, and it has made no difference whatsoever.

Some have suggested a backfire. Maybe it is, but it does not sound exactly like one, and I frequently start the car from outside using remote start, and every start from outside the cabin sounds perfect.

Oh, well, I’m not letting this drop. I really believe the dealer does not know what to do, because they have no guidance from FCA. I have bought the factory service manual, and it gives no guidance in this area at all. If it is a radio/stereo problem, the only advice given is to simply replace the faulty parts. There is not much diagnostic guidance given. I have recommended to the dealer to consider replacing either the head unit, amplifier, subwoofer - anything to narrow this down (if it is stereo-related).

I spoke to two other Dodge dealers in an adjoining state, and they had never heard of this problem, either. I’m not sure FCA is onto this problem at all, but I have opened up TWO cases, the latest with a Dodge Cares rep who contacted me on the ChallengerTalk forum. Both my cases were closed with no resolution and with no notification to me they had been closed. I had to contact them to find out the status of the cases. The only "help" offered by Dodge Cares was to contact my dealer, who is not motivated to run this down but did tell me to contact Dodge Cares, who tells me to contact the dealer, who tells me to contact... Well, you get the idea.

My dealer says they have never heard of this problem before, and that's likely true, but the existence of the ChallengerTalk thread shows we are not alone in this. Unfortunately, I feel like FCA has left it in the hands of its customers to figure this problem out, even as the cars are still under full warranty.

If I get any kind of path forward from anyone, I will post here. Please weigh in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some were able to video the underside of their trucks, and found slight rotation of the driveshafts at startup. This movement caused what sounded to me to be a noise exactly like what I am hearing. Some even reported they do not hear the noise using the remote start. I have never heard the noise using the remote start, either.
I have a 2021 Charger SXT V6 3.6l with the same issue. I have had the car for about 5 weeks and it has 735 miles on it and it has made the "thump" about 20 times at startup. It seems to be more prevalent on warm starts, but same as you intermittent. The only difference is that it jolts/shakes the car when the noise is made leading me to believe it could be the drive shaft scenario. Especially because it occurs precisely as the starter motor stops cranking and the motor starts. I was able to duplicate with the remote start this morning trying to diagnose. I too thought at first it could be related to the vacuum of the emission system such as a solenoid but as time went on noticed it jolt or shake the vehicle at the same time. The stereo or a vacuum solenoid on a canister would not do that. Also, I do not have the Alpine stereo, just the base 6 speaker stereo with the 7" U-Connect 4.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I have a 2021 Charger SXT V6 3.6l with the same issue. I have had the car for about 5 weeks and it has 735 miles on it and it has made the "thump" about 20 times at startup. It seems to be more prevalent on warm starts, but same as you intermittent. The only difference is that it jolts/shakes the car when the noise is made leading me to believe it could be the drive shaft scenario. Especially because it occurs precisely as the starter motor stops cranking and the motor starts. I was able to duplicate with the remote start this morning trying to diagnose. I too thought at first it could be related to the vacuum of the emission system such as a solenoid but as time went on noticed it jolt or shake the vehicle at the same time. The stereo or a vacuum solenoid on a canister would not do that. Also, I do not have the Alpine stereo, just the base 6 speaker stereo with the 7" U-Connect 4.
Hi Tored Charger,
We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support via private messages.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I discovered it is my transmission engaging for a split second. Not only at startup, but when I stop the engine as well as seen in the video below. It actually does it every time, but intermittently it engages so hard it causes the thump noise and jolts the vehicle. It has been doing this since new. I guess I'll take it in and see what the dealer says. I bought the car on April 24th and still don't have my plates or registration sticker so maybe I can get them at the same time. I'm hoping I get a loaner because my job is in field service and I need my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Well I discovered it is my transmission engaging for a split second. Not only at startup, but when I stop the engine as well as seen in the video below. It actually does it every time, but intermittently it engages so hard it causes the thump noise and jolts the vehicle. It has been doing this since new. I guess I'll take it in and see what the dealer says. I bought the car on April 24th and still don't have my plates or registration sticker so maybe I can get them at the same time. I'm hoping I get a loaner because my job is in field service and I need my car.
Hi Tored Charger,
We sincerely regret to hear of your trouble. If it would be of interest, we'd be happy to learn more details regarding your dealer's findings to determine how to best assist you. Please follow up with us via private message when you can.

Rob
Dodge Cares

1 - 20 of 20 Posts