Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ah Hah! Thanks, Pa!

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is pretty sick looking.

Any idea when you are gonna get to phase 2 and 3?

This may be my first mod when i get my charger..:rockon:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Awesome write up. I am really excited for this mod. so easy, and fun. Just one question. How do i figure out which resistor to put in line for the LEDs. any help would be appreciated.

:rockon:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Tapping into the Dimmer Switch

So after sitting around with a battery pack under my seat, I figure it was about time to tap into the Dash/IP dimmer circuit to light up my LED's I installed back in January.

I called Autometer, they said the lights were probably on the CAN signal and I wouldn't be able to find the feed... but I figured, if there are little lights ON the switch that light up at night, there has to be a "raw" power feed.

After I searched through ther service manual and found the wiring diagram, I came to the conclusion that the Orange wire with the Gray (or is it grey) stripe was my feed. I grabed a 22-18 Ga wire tap and broke out my trusy DMM. Sure enough, it was the right wire!

(Note: Use any metal surface for ground (-). There's a metal support bar that runs just under the "knee" panel on the lowest part of the dashboard, that's what I used for my negative terminal)

To take off the switch, I stuck my Border's Rewards Card in the seam between dash and switch and used a dinner knife to pop out the tabs:

There are 2 tabs on top and one on bottom.

Next, isolate the ORANGE with GRAY stripe and use a wire crimp to tap into the feed.

At high dimmer setting, it puts out 12-13 volts and at low setting it is around 4 volts - perfect for aftermarket gauges, etc.

As for my LED's... I didnt get that far. I've got my feed from the IP and my wire to my LED's, I just need to pick the right resistor so they aren't too bright at night - they ARE accent lights, you know.

Stay posted for Phase 3 when I finally connect them both!

Thanks to sccharger for sending me a PM about this... I've actually had this done for about 3 months and haden't gotten around to posting this yet. Sorry to all for keeping this a secret!

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh.. and I've got auto lights... I can't see that the wiring for the bulbs in the switch is any different than the non-auto lights, but you never know!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts