Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a total newb at messing around with electrical parts on my car, but that green interior lighting was killing me! After scrubbing the web, forums, youtube, you name it... I finally have an entirely blue dash and center console. :banana: Pardon the pics, I can't really figure out how to take pictures the capture the true color of the lights with my iPhone. Some parts of the lighting look white, but everything is actually blue. Next up, door switches!!!

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/yhopkins45/library/Charger Mods - Lighting?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
183 Posts
This looks awesome! I'm in the process of doing this as well, I need some advice though. How did you do the air conditioning control part? I put in Led's with resistors in there and they turn on and what not just, but they are not showing to the outside or are bright enough. Did you get rid of the light distributor in there (the clear plastic that sits above the bulbs)?

I just am curious of your setup? did you use simple 5mm Led's with resistors and replaced the old bulbs with them?

Your response is very appreciated

·
Registered
183 Posts
By the way I like the gauge face. Is that a black cat custom face with LED needles?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh... The dreaded climate controls... Honestly, I think I failed at this about 7-8 times before I got it to work. Initially I just tried installing T-1 3/4 LEDs. FAIL. They lit up a nice pretty blue for about 3 seconds, then burned out. So I tried the same ones again with resistors... FAIL. Tried surface mount LEDs... FAIL. Added resistors to those... FAIL. Lol... you get the picture. So after weeks of research, I stumbled across a post that recommended using these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151172412408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can do an ebay search for Neo Wedge LED if you're not looking for blue. Initially, I only used three of them, but I was missing a bit of light towards the lower right-hand side so I added a fourth. I added a pic of the board to the album linked in my original post. I had to correct the polarity on a couple of them after I took that pic, but you get the idea. I also screwed up the connection for the top left bulb, which is why I had to jump it to the bulb in the middle. Anyway, by no means am I a pro at this, but I managed to get it going so I'll answer any questions for you that I can. FYI if you're looking to do the headlight switch, this bulb works there too. I won't even tell you how many failed attempts I had with that. Lol Good Luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ahhh... The dreaded climate controls... Honestly, I think I failed at this about 7-8 times before I got it to work. Initially I just tried installing T-1 3/4 LEDs. FAIL. They lit up a nice pretty blue for about 3 seconds, then burned out. So I tried the same ones again with resistors... FAIL. Tried surface mount LEDs... FAIL. Added resistors to those... FAIL. Lol... you get the picture. So after weeks of research, I stumbled across a post that recommended using these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151172412408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can do an ebay search for Neo Wedge LED if you're not looking for blue. Initially, I only used three of them, but I was missing a bit of light towards the lower right-hand side so I added a fourth. I added a pic of the board to the album linked in my original post. I had to correct the polarity on a couple of them after I took that pic, but you get the idea. I also screwed up the connection for the top left bulb, which is why I had to jump it to the bulb in the middle. Anyway, by no means am I a pro at this, but I managed to get it going so I'll answer any questions for you that I can. FYI if you're looking to do the headlight switch, this bulb works there too. I won't even tell you how many failed attempts I had with that. Lol Good Luck!
That setup looks interesting lol. So do those lights mount to the board? How did you get the 4th one you added in to mount to the board with out messing up the other stuff on the circuit board? Also, what's the benefits of these blue Led's just curious why did they work better? Your results look great, just kinda stinks that I just ordered some other LED's because I may go your route and buy those. I am also doing the blue look.

As for the gauge cluster I have already put in the LED pointers and added in a blue gel sheet behind the stock gauge face to get the blue glow. Looks good in my opinion. Was just curious about yours and what route you went. Just curious are the numbers in the gauge cluster that show what gear you're in and the mileage and such, are those blue also. I couldn't tell by your picture but I could help ya out with that if you were wanting to do that

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup! They mount right to the board. If you look at the lights on eBay, you just unwrap the wire and solder it to the board. To add the fourth light I just used a wire. The fourth light isn't touching the board, but I put a piece of electrical tape under it so it wouldn't short anything out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
183 Posts
oh cool cool, thats clever. so you left the light diffuser in there? it was the clear thing that sat above the old bulb.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I so want to do this to my 06 SRT, however, I'm a bit stumped as to how to handle the door window/lock lighting, and the lighted controls on the steering wheel, including the cruise control lamps.
Since my SRT is black with red thread trim on the seats, I planned on doing red LEDs.
I've seen write ups with pics on how to disassemble the REC stereo and the climate control to replace the lamps, and the colsole does not appear to be an issue; and I've seen how to convert the headlight switch.
The steering wheel switches/controls and door panels are where I'm getting stuck.
It appears in your pics that the steering wheel is not lighted; do you not have the audio and EVIC control buttons on your wheel?

BTW - great looking interior!

Thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
How hard was the glow gauges install?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was a piece of cake actually. I found a video on YouTube that showed how to get the cluster out. It's really smooth sailing after that. It's just an overlay so you don't even have to remove the factory face. Be careful with the needles though, you may have to reset them after the install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey, I don't have the sound and EVIC controls in my steering wheel. I just have the plastic inserts wrapped in carbon fiber. I found a link though on changing the lights in the controls. If you search the other forum for thread 74097 you should find it. I can't post it here.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
You should add a library of all the links you referenced to your first post. You did a great job. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
You should add a library of all the links you referenced to your first post. You did a great job. :bigthumb:
I agree with him! I know how to do everything except the window switches now, would love some advice and or pictures of the circuits underneath for those.

BTW guys I have done some research regarding the interior lighting change, I'll copy the links in that I have saved up in my next post.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Links for Interior lighting change

Okay guys so here are all the links that I have that should help guide you through this process if you decide to do this. Enjoy!

How To:Change Interior Backlight Color (NAV, HVAC, Switches, etc.) PICTURE HEAVY!!!
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77449

How To: Change backlight color (HVAC, switches, etc.)
This one is the older How To than the above from the same person
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58382&page=4

How-to: Bulb swap everything on the interior
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/152615-How-to-Bulb-swap-everything-on-the-interior

This one is just replacing the old bulbs if one went out in the A/C control, not changing the color
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/240913-Climate-Control-Lights-Replacement-Info

Just some info to help learn
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/polarity/diode-and-led-polarity

You will need some "PLCC - 2 Led's", they can be found at oznium as well your typical "5mm Leds"
http://www.oznium.com/leds

The climate control is tricky, but thanks to yhopkins she suggests to use "T5 Neo Wedge LED Bulbs" instead of 5mm leds. These distribute the light best in there and is way easier than soldering in resitors with the led's. These don't require resistors because they run off of 12v where as the 5mm run off of around 3v. If you just put in the led by itself in there it would fizz, pop, and would not work. If you type in to ebay what's in quotes you should find some for sale. I'd get the 10 pack because it's always better to have too many than not enough. You will probably only need 5 total though, 4 for the climate control and 1 for the headlight switch.

Keep in mind that everyone has different interiors based on the model you have and also what year your charger is. This is why I posted so many links. Also note, none of these links are for the 2nd generation chargers. But if you are courageous I bet you can use these as a starting ground to do it yourself.

Hope these are useful to you all!

Maybe this could be added to the How Do I do... Everything??? thread

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome Post Surfcharger... Just one little thing... yhopkins is a "she" Lol Just sayin. Great links though, I think I've visited them all at least 10 times trying to get all of this done.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It was a piece of cake actually. I found a video on YouTube that showed how to get the cluster out. It's really smooth sailing after that. It's just an overlay so you don't even have to remove the factory face. Be careful with the needles though, you may have to reset them after the install.
Have a link to that video?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
183 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts