Charger Forums banner
121 - 140 of 164 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE:

A Class Action Lawsuit has been initiated by several owners:

Hey everyone,

I've been gathering complaints and images regarding the peeling door panels on Dodge Chargers, specifically, the 2015-present models. While the 2011-2014 models have door panels that are visually identical to the 2015-present models, I have reason to believe they used a better quality glue - hence why less of them are peeling after heat cycles/prolonged time. I have rarely seen a few 2013-2014 models with the issue, but it's not consistent.

Dodge seems to honor the 3/36,000 warranty when the car is brought in for this issue, typically replacing all affected panels at no charge. However, once this warranty period expires, it costs a substantial amount of money to replace all 4 door panels. It seems that they are aware of this issue, due to the supply issue with the door panels themselves. Often, they're on back-order for 6+ months. They simply cannot produce enough of them. How much more noise has to be made until they open a recall? They should either start producing all new cars from this date forward with the better quality glue/adhesive on the door panels, or voluntarily fix all older vehicles with the issue at no cost and repair them using a dealer certified method (perhaps taking the panels apart and applying a new glue formula).

My car was manufactured in November 2019, and as such, there is no peeling yet. But it is kept outside, and I expect to see the issue start within 2-3 years. Perhaps someone here knows an engineer that works at the Brampton Assembly Plant, or someone could find a way to contact one and bring this issue to their attention? Obviously, bringing these issues to the dealership Service Manager or Service Advisors is not making its way to FCA Corporate or their interior design engineers.

Images for your entertainment:

· Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my Charger in 2019 but it was a new 2018 model. All 4 of may doors are coming off the frame. My car is parked in the garage and I work from home and my car rarely sits in the sun. This is not acceptable. This is a brand new car and Dodge should repair this problem for everyone as this is an obvious error in their production.

· Registered
342 Posts
Here’s my Video after the local Chrysler dealership said it was normal wear and tear. I was still under 36K /3yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
342 Posts

· Registered
8,237 Posts
I have bought Dodge my whole life, as well as my parents and my husband as well. Dodge please fix this issue. I want to buy a new Charger but now I am afraid.. Both of my door panels have peeled. Started at 25,000 miles..
Good luck with that. They clearly don't care. It's been an ongoing issue for years. I just fixed it myself. Annoying, but not particularly hard or expensive to fix. There's posts here in the forums that show you how.

Best,

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
It seems some specific cars don't have this issue - one high mileage 2015 Scat Pack owner on YouTube has 130,000 miles on his car... and the door panels have never peeled. I wonder if some cars had extra adhesive put on, or perhaps it's just by random chance?

· Registered
808 Posts
Does anyone know if there is more of a chance of this happening if you get the Windows tinted? They do more soaking stuff and poking around those areas while they're applying tint then the panels normally see so I'm wondering if that might not be a good thing to do when they're already known problems with those panels.

· Registered
958 Posts
Does anyone know if there is more of a chance of this happening if you get the Windows tinted? They do more soaking stuff and poking around those areas while they're applying tint then the panels normally see so I'm wondering if that might not be a good thing to do when they're already known problems with those panels.
I've got two 2018 Chargers, one of which I just got a month ago. The new to me GT I just got didn't have window tint, and the door panels were warped before I bought it. I just got them tinted last week FWIW. Anyway, they are getting replaced soon under what is left of the factory warranty.

My Daytona I purchased new off the showroom floor, and had the windows tinted about a week after I bought it. To this day, the door panels look new and have not had any issues.

Both cars have been in Michigan for their whole lives. My Daytona is stored in my garage for the winter, and gets parked there daily at night in the summer. I have no idea if the GT was parked in a garage or not, but it is always parked outside now.

All of that aside, one would think it shouldn't matter if it is always outside or not, glue the stupid panels on constantly everytime LoL!

Edit:

Probably doesn't really matter as they are both 2018's, but my Daytona is currently around 12000 miles, while the GT is about 23000 miles.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,237 Posts
I doubt it has much to do with the environment. Mine has spent its entire life garaged at home and at work. The panels began to peel up right along the weatherstrip facing the window on both front doors at approximately 3 years and about 25k miles.

Best,

Reactions: Fastmoon

· Registered
8,237 Posts
Gorilla Glue.
It's not just for hair.
Gorilla glue is great stuff. However, it does get VERY brittle when it cures. I chose an adhesive that stays somewhat pliable after curing. I'm thinking that will be a better fit for a bond that's likely to see a lot of heat cycling over its lifetime. This is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Catpalm-Adhesive-Multi-Function-Suitable-Jewelery/dp/B07LF1SPGZ

I'm going to have to do mine again. The places I glued are still fine, but areas that I left alone are now starting to come up.

Best,

· Registered
2018 Scat Pack
1,137 Posts
Many years ago my neighbor used to bring home from work an epoxy he called Magnolia & it was a deep red color & IIRC was a potting epoxy for electronics. It was the best. He even used it to "glue" a loose head on a wood splitting maul & the stuff held. I've searched a few times over the years but couldn't narrow it down. If anyone is familiar with this product please let me know where to get it as it may work great on door panels.

· Registered
1 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but a recall is for a safety related issue and I'm not sure how peeling interior trim fits that criteria.
[/QUOTE

so yes, normally recalls are for problems that may result in a safety issue. I am a lead plaintiff in this lawsuit and the issue at hand is when the door Skins peel off, they obstruct airbags, door locks, window switches, and other electrical items on the door. Also, when the dash starts to lift it also affects the airbags and other electrical items attached to the dash. It can easily become a safety problem. Also, the lawsuit is for fraud and breach of warranty. Chrysler knew the panels were coming unglued but continued to sell these vehicles with the defects. then, when a dealership would put a claim through they would give them hell and try to avoid the repairs. When they did actually authorize repairs, they were replacing the defective panels with other defective panels. Total scam!!!!!

· Registered
7,470 Posts
That's interesting. I wonder how many instances the trim has caused these safery items to malfunction. It does sound feasible just like Toyota and the jammed accelerator caused by loose carpeting.

· Registered
8,237 Posts
Do I think we should tie up the courts with something like this? No. Do I think it's a bona fide safety issue? No. Do I think FCA should be compelled to solve the problem? Yes. It pains me to think that some fat cat law firm is going to siphon off a big chunk of whatever is recovered. The rest of us will probably get a free oil change coupon.

As annoying as it is, it's not a particularly hard problem to fix. But the company's reaction to what is clearly defective parts is just one of the reasons why I won't be purchasing any more vehicles from them in the future.

Best,

Reactions: N8ECH

· Registered
1 Posts
Same with my 2016 Charger Ralley package bought in 2016 from Sandy Samsing in Pensacola Fl....appx 3 years later the front drivers and passenger side door panels started curling up from the top of the door away from the window.. Currently the drivers side panel is completely curled off the middle portion of the door frame to the point the locking pop up button is almost below the plastic panel. The passenger side had done the same but was partially glued down...still has partial lift from door frame. Vehicle had appx 50k when We noticed it...veh now has 100k. Love the car but hate rhe look the panels have given this nice car

· Registered
2 Posts
Don’t waste your time with @DodgeCares. I messaged them and they instructed me to call customer service. I did what they said, had a claim number, etc. Over the phone, they sounded like as long as I didn’t cause the damage and it’s a defect, they would cover it even though my car is out of warranty. However I would need to get it checked out by a dealership to determine the defect. I spent a total of $350 to get it checked out and even confirmed as long as it was defect, Dodge would reimburse me and get my doors replaced. And of course, after I get the quote from the dealer to replace the door panels and for them to look at it and say it’s a defect, Dodge customer service says my car is out of warranty and they won’t cover it. @DodgeCares no longer responds to my messages. I should have put that money towards fixing it myself but it really sounded like they were going to get them replaced over the phone. Learned my lesson.

· Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 started doing it around 25k miles. I was also told it was not covered by warranty as "normal wear and tear." It's all bull. All four of my doors have the problem. The front ones are much worse than the rear, but the fact it is doing it at all shows how awful their quality control is. How do we get in on this class action suit??

Driver_Front
Passenger_Rear
Passenger_Front

121 - 140 of 164 Posts