Charger Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
When I get some spare time I think I’m going to JB weld it. Only tricky part will be figuring out how to hold it down following its contours. Maybe thin pliable wood or plastic. Idk I’ll see. If I remember I’ll try to post it if it turns out really well

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I think heat combined with humidity is what makes the foam backing swell up and then pop off the frame... Both my 2016s are tinted, mine stays in the garage 90% of the time, the wife't sits at work for 9hours 3-4 days a week...both have had a door panel pop, both during the summer Monsoon when it was hot & sticky (for NM that is...it is not super humid here on the worst day like it is in the central & eastern US everyday.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think heat combined with humidity is what makes the foam backing swell up and then pop off the frame... Both my 2016s are tinted, mine stays in the garage 90% of the time, the wife't sits at work for 9hours 3-4 days a week...both have had a door panel pop, both during the summer Monsoon when it was hot & sticky (for NM that is...it is not super humid here on the worst day like it is in the central & eastern US everyday.)
That makes sense. Although here in Vegas I did see a charger at work with peeling and it’s super dry here. It sits in the sun all day though and no tint.

Hopefully mine doesn’t do it. Mine is garage kept all day at home and work. Having no humidity here is nice.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My 2018...made it thru 2 summers...always garaged..I'm retired...so car is never baked in a parking lot at work...Just last month...3 rd summer, it started to plump up...in garage...Granted..it was hot in the garage....But not as hot had it been in direct sunlight...so window tint was not involved to save it...Seems like FCA is never going to come to admit this fault...and seems to enjoy watching us run around between some dealers who Help. some that do NOT, and stir in a mix of their customer care, so as to keep our spare time busy. Yup,. .Sort like our Fed Gov't, no plan to actually fix a problem...like covid...
Did not realize yours have started to go. We got our R/T’s around the same time and like yours, mine spends most of the time in a hot garage. I just turned 7K. Have you been to the dealership with It yet?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I recall our 2 cars are treated about the same...Thou my mileage has crept up to 8250 mi.....No dealer visit per this new problem...I'm still trying to get them to notice my intake gaskets whistling sound, randomly...and, of course, much less in the hot summer, especially after they re-tighten the bolts [twice now]--I think the smaller ambient temp spreads now, keep the gaskets tighter.....Soooo, delay now, I'll be revisiting them in the colder fall, and see if my "plumping" up door panels get covered....Right now, not a biggie...Yet !

·
Registered
552 Posts
I recall our 2 cars are treated about the same...Thou my mileage has crept up to 8250 mi.....No dealer visit per this new problem...I'm still trying to get them to notice my intake gaskets whistling sound, randomly...and, of course, much less in the hot summer, especially after they re-tighten the bolts [twice now]--I think the smaller ambient temp spreads now, keep the gaskets tighter.....Soooo, delay now, I'll be revisiting them in the colder fall, and see if my "plumping" up door panels get covered....Right now, not a biggie...Yet !
If I remember correctly you leased?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wonder if it's a regional thing. Warm weather year round regions. Anyone from the Northeast having issues? Noticed that Chrysler 300 owners are having same issue. I've had a bunch of 300's (leases) and never had this issue. I'm from the Northeast.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Door, dash, or center console, the cheap Mopar material used is not good with adhesives when the material starts heating up and decomposing. Once the adhesive gives way heat takes over and the panels starts to bend and buckle.

Unless the car spends its whole life out of the Suns ray parked inside an air conditioned garage I'm inclined to think the odds are everyone will experience this problem to some degree.

Reactions: military1us

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
The drivers side panel of the shifter console on the Wife's Rallye is starting to pucker up... I'm going to have to staple that one too when the weather cools off.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The drivers side panel of the shifter console on the Wife's Rallye is starting to pucker up... I'm going to have to staple that one too when the weather cools off.
The dealership replaced those too when they did my door panels. Well out of warranty and no cost to me.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've been gathering complaints and images regarding the peeling door panels on Dodge Chargers, specifically, the 2015-present models. While the 2011-2014 models have door panels that are visually identical to the 2015-present models, I have reason to believe they used a better quality glue - hence why less of them are peeling after heat cycles/prolonged time. I have rarely seen a few 2013-2014 models with the issue, but it's not consistent.

Dodge seems to honor the 3/36,000 warranty when the car is brought in for this issue, typically replacing all affected panels at no charge. However, once this warranty period expires, it costs a substantial amount of money to replace all 4 door panels. It seems that they are aware of this issue, due to the supply issue with the door panels themselves. Often, they're on back-order for 6+ months. They simply cannot produce enough of them. How much more noise has to be made until they open a recall? They should either start producing all new cars from this date forward with the better quality glue/adhesive on the door panels, or voluntarily fix all older vehicles with the issue at no cost and repair them using a dealer certified method (perhaps taking the panels apart and applying a new glue formula).

My car was manufactured in November 2019, and as such, there is no peeling yet. But it is kept outside, and I expect to see the issue start within 2-3 years. Perhaps someone here knows an engineer that works at the Brampton Assembly Plant, or someone could find a way to contact one and bring this issue to their attention? Obviously, bringing these issues to the dealership Service Manager or Service Advisors is not making its way to FCA Corporate or their interior design engineers.

Images for your entertainment:

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2017 scatpack that has spent its life garaged. Just decided to fix it myself. There's a thread on how I fixed it in the interior section:

Not hard to fix or particularly time consuming other than waiting for the adhesive to cure. Definitely beats spending $1900.

Best,

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Looks like a good repair, excellent work.

I don't think we're ever getting a dealer bulletin on this issue, let's just hope the engineers don't let this happen with the next generation models. Obviously they did something right with the 2011-2014 panels, they seemed to be a lot more resilient.

I was just looking at some sun baked South Carolina police 2014 Dodge Chargers on auction and none of them are peeling, and I doubt they were ever replaced. They were doing something different at the assembly plant back then, not sure what.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've been gathering complaints and images regarding the peeling door panels on Dodge Chargers, specifically, the 2015-present models. While the 2011-2014 models have door panels that are visually identical to the 2015-present models, I have reason to believe they used a better quality glue - hence why less of them are peeling after heat cycles/prolonged time. I have rarely seen a few 2013-2014 models with the issue, but it's not consistent.

Dodge seems to honor the 3/36,000 warranty when the car is brought in for this issue, typically replacing all affected panels at no charge. However, once this warranty period expires, it costs a substantial amount of money to replace all 4 door panels. It seems that they are aware of this issue, due to the supply issue with the door panels themselves. Often, they're on back-order for 6+ months. They simply cannot produce enough of them. How much more noise has to be made until they open a recall? They should either start producing all new cars from this date forward with the better quality glue/adhesive on the door panels, or voluntarily fix all older vehicles with the issue at no cost and repair them using a dealer certified method (perhaps taking the panels apart and applying a new glue formula).

My car was manufactured in November 2019, and as such, there is no peeling yet. But it is kept outside, and I expect to see the issue start within 2-3 years. Perhaps someone here knows an engineer that works at the Brampton Assembly Plant, or someone could find a way to contact one and bring this issue to their attention? Obviously, bringing these issues to the dealership Service Manager or Service Advisors is not making its way to FCA Corporate or their interior design engineers.

Images for your entertainment:

I
Yep, front passenger door on my 2017 has peeled back terribly, looks awful. Well done Dodge. :(
2016 RT out of the warranty, dealer is a no way will not help situation. Mine was pretty bad and I am in Oregon not to hot here. I removed the foam behind the vinyl all along the whole top of the door panel at about 1/2" And used super glue gel on that top plastic edge under the vinyl and then held it in place with custom cut up paint sticks, you need to make them and get them set up to fit first. Super glue will not be affected by heat like Gorilla glue, or most epoxy based glues that like to break loose in hot conditions.

Here it is with the H Depot paint sticks in place while drying, and finished after dried. Thank you Loctite super glue gel, looks much better than what others have done. Sorry to pat myself on the back but look at it you can’t tell. I have used Loctite super glue gel on every part on this car that comes lose and there has been many. P.S. You will need two packs to do the whole top of each door.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
2016 RT out of the warranty, dealer is a no way will not help situation. Mine was pretty bad and I am in Oregon not to hot here. I removed the foam behind the vinyl all along the whole top of the door panel at about 1/2" And used super glue gel on that top plastic edge under the vinyl and then held it in place with custom cut up paint sticks, you need to make them and get them set up to fit first. Super glue will not be affected by heat like Gorilla glue, or most epoxy based glues that like to break loose in hot conditions.

Here it is with the H Depot paint sticks in place while drying, and finished after dried. Thank you Loctite super glue gel, looks much better than what others have done. Sorry to pat myself on the back but look at it you can’t tell. I have used Loctite super glue gel on every part on this car that comes lose and there has been many. P.S. You will need two packs to do the whole top of each door.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Some breaking news!

A class action lawsuit has been filed, by several owners. Some of the points are a little exaggerated, I don’t think it interferes with the side airbags or anti-theft system - but at least something is finally happening.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts

Nicely done! And you didn't have to pop off the panel.

Best,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I'll be keeping an eye on the lawsuit and see if anything emerges. Best case scenario is a recall, but I'm going to guess a dealer service bulletin on how to repair existing panels is more likely.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts