·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE:

A Class Action Lawsuit has been initiated by several owners:

Hey everyone,

I've been gathering complaints and images regarding the peeling door panels on Dodge Chargers, specifically, the 2015-present models. While the 2011-2014 models have door panels that are visually identical to the 2015-present models, I have reason to believe they used a better quality glue - hence why less of them are peeling after heat cycles/prolonged time. I have rarely seen a few 2013-2014 models with the issue, but it's not consistent.

Dodge seems to honor the 3/36,000 warranty when the car is brought in for this issue, typically replacing all affected panels at no charge. However, once this warranty period expires, it costs a substantial amount of money to replace all 4 door panels. It seems that they are aware of this issue, due to the supply issue with the door panels themselves. Often, they're on back-order for 6+ months. They simply cannot produce enough of them. How much more noise has to be made until they open a recall? They should either start producing all new cars from this date forward with the better quality glue/adhesive on the door panels, or voluntarily fix all older vehicles with the issue at no cost and repair them using a dealer certified method (perhaps taking the panels apart and applying a new glue formula).

My car was manufactured in November 2019, and as such, there is no peeling yet. But it is kept outside, and I expect to see the issue start within 2-3 years. Perhaps someone here knows an engineer that works at the Brampton Assembly Plant, or someone could find a way to contact one and bring this issue to their attention? Obviously, bringing these issues to the dealership Service Manager or Service Advisors is not making its way to FCA Corporate or their interior design engineers.

Images for your entertainment:

Reactions: JCE

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but a recall is for a safety related issue and I'm not sure how peeling interior trim fits that criteria.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct me if I'm wrong but a recall is for a safety related issue and I'm not sure how peeling interior trim fits that criteria.
I think you're right. This would probably be classified under something else. I've seen manufacturer's call back/cover cars for cosmetic defects. When I worked at Honda dealership, there was a certain new model out (I believe the Honda Passport) with headlights that would prematurely fade/condensate, so we replaced them at no cost to the customer. And they changed the manufacturing process for the headlights due to this issue, since replacing them is only a temporary solution if the design itself has shortcomings.

Assuming Dodge doesn't fix this problem at all, I'd hope they at least solve it for the next generation Dodge Charger. It would be terrible to endure another generation plagued with this issue.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The panel on my drivers side 2013 Bee has started to warp every so slightly. It's barely noticeable, but I have noticed it pull away within the past few months.

I'm sure FCA is aware, but doubt anything will be done. They never did anything in regards to the cam/lifter issue that is a known problem, especially among the 5.7s.

The panel thing isn't a safety issue either, so there won't be a recall. At the very least you may be able to work a new panel out of FCA.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is the peeling? Can someone post a picture of it?
If you look at the two images at the bottom of my original post, you'll see two different levels of peeling. Look at the top of the door panel near the window, you'll see it warping/lifting.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Ford has a way worse problem with this on Explorers than FCA does on Chargers/ Challengers/300's..the difference is that they will fix it if you complain (pneumatic staplers work wonders). I have repaired lots of different cars with my stapler: Fords, Nissans, BMW, etc.

The problem isn't really the glue, but the design: there is a layer of foam on the underside of the vinyl to give it the "soft touch". This foam expands when it gets hot and pops the vinyl out of the thin chanel on the top of the door. See post 13 below:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Ford has a way worse problem with this on Explorers than FCA does on Chargers/ Challengers/300's..the difference is that they will fix it if you complain (pneumatic staplers work wonders). I have repaired lots of different cars with my stapler: Fords, Nissans, BMW, etc.

The problem isn't really the glue, but the design: there is a layer of foam on the underside of the vinyl to give it the "soft touch". This foam expands when it gets hot and pops the vinyl out of the thin chanel on the top of the door. See post 13 below:
Don't the staples crack the plastic frame?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Drivers side did it while still under warranty. Fixed.
Passenger side did it while out of warranty. Dealer wouldn't even look at it once I said the warranty was up. Called customer care & after about a month or so the dealer fixed it no charge.
Don't have the pics any longer.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
It's nice that the dealer went ahead and did the repair even if they did it after some shaming.

My Mustang door panel inseet peeled away. The foam backing is what is glued to the door panel and the foam deteriorated causing the panel insert to flop down. I heavily applied some spray-on headliner adhesive and reset it and its stayed put for 4 years. Guess its fixed even if there isnt any foam left to give it that cushy feel.

It doesn't appear the door covering on the Charger is as simple to repair. With the frequency of door panel delamination and warpage I'm surprised FCA hasn't issued a TSB.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I'm sorry, but I am missing it. Are they those white marks?
Here are some better illustrations to show the problem..it can also happen on the center console:

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Charger SXT Plus AWD - Frostbite/Black
77 Posts
I have a 2020 SXT AWD with the Plus Package and therefore the new "premium stitched" upper door panels. Wonder if that would help solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have a 2020 SXT AWD with the Plus Package and therefore the new "premium stitched" upper door panels. Wonder if that would help solve the problem.
My factory panels on my ‘18 R/T started to peel so I got a full set of leather panels from a Hellcat I really like the detail and stitching, however after seeing these I believe they will also have a problem at some point down the line.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
My factory panels on my ‘18 R/T started to peel so I got a full set of leather panels from a Hellcat I really like the detail and stitching, however after seeing these I believe they will also have a problem at some point down the line.

View attachment 293793
No doubt that they will also go bad eventually since the top portion is the foam backed vinyl. I have a leather interior and the drivers door popped loose (glued down with Gorilla Glue--stapling is faster & easier)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Sounds like you own FCA stock or work for FCA??

Big P will probably redesign the interior door panels to be held together with studded upholstery tacks. Just wait until one pops out and falls on the seat.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Nah.....Not a stock owner, nor employee....Just feel ashamed that our Car Mfrs can't manage their businesses...and foreign ownership is solution ?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts