Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the way the ram air hoods look on our cars, but it seems ridiculous to spend all that money and trouble to have some little slit appear on a hood. I could care less that about functionality since I do not believe it enhances the performance to any noticeable degree. I do however think those stick on scoops look really cheesy so I was thinking if there was a way to integrate or smooth the space where the stick on scoop meets the hood. Maybe clear silicone then use factory matched touch up paint over the silicone to make it appear as if the scoop is part of the hood. As anybody tried this?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
people call you thrifty alot, dont they. :grin:

Being somebody that spent all this "excessive" money to get the real thing i will tell you 1 thing for sure. The real thing versus the fake thing will always be recognizable. But if you are able to make it seamless it will probably be much better then just the 3m tape look. There may be no significant increases, but the profiles of the real hood scoops are much better then the stick on scoops, it will be hard to make it look as good as a SRT or ram air.

also what mods for this car besides small dinky stuff is cheap? headers, exhaust, heads, cam, all come with big costs for the part and then you get to add installation.

Ive seen pretty reasonable prices for the carbon SRT hoods.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
This did like a year ago or so, but I don't know who it is. He is a member on this forum. Maybe he will chime in on this.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Paint will not stick to silicone.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes they do .. but not pure silicone caulking .. that is not paintable. I am sure there is a product for cars that would work. just dont go to home depot and buy silicone caulking.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
take it to a body shop an have them MOLD it to the car. usually they use fiberglass or tiger hair and blend it all together and paint it

·
Registered
869 Posts
OK guys don't laugh but this was my car at one time lol. I bought a fiberglass SS scoop and the body shop did some bondo work and molded it and made it all seamless. Looked great IMO. Of course, the real thing is always awesome, but definitely expensive.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
That looks good Megkins, but, how much did that all cost vs buying a ram air hood, if one was available?

·
Registered
869 Posts
That looks good Megkins, but, how much did that all cost vs buying a ram air hood, if one was available?
All that was available at that time were SUPER weird looking carbon fiber hoods. They were all so ugly and didn't seem to flow with the car at ALL. So....I had my own vision lol and went with it. Now....I can't believe I ever owned a Mitsubishi :sick:

·
Registered
869 Posts
oh come on it didnt look too bad.
I must say for a Mitsubishi it looked pretty good. Funny thing is...I did everything I could to make it look more like a muscle car hahaha. I added that SS hood, chrome DUB wheels, and I had them cut the other side of the bumper so I could have dual exhaust etc. Then one day I realized that no matter what, it was still a Mitsubishi so I sold it. I loved it at first, and then started modding the hell out of it, and then my taste just completely changed.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
OK guys don't laugh but this was my car at one time lol. I bought a fiberglass SS scoop and the body shop did some bondo work and molded it and made it all seamless. Looked great IMO. Of course, the real thing is always awesome, but definitely expensive.

how much did that run you in the end?

·
Registered
869 Posts
how much did that run you in the end?

Do you mean the hood? That's a good question. It was my stock hood so no cost there, then $80 for the fiberglass SS scoop, and I THINK maybe $400 for it to be molded and painted?? I really can't remember but that sounds about right.

If you mean all of the mods....it was way more than I would like to talk about lol.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Changed for the better too. Nice upgrade.
Well I actually went to a Cadillac CTS after that, and THEN to the Charger :D Couldn't be happier now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts