Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kray-z situation here and really don't know where to start...any help? So periodically I will be driving down the road (3.5V6 Engine), say 65mph and when I give the car gas to accelerate, the instrument panel starts going haywire and the car wont accelerate (See video below). The Check Engine light, throttle control light>
,and oil light will blink while an audible ding sounds (same ding as when a door is ajar. At the same time, the rpm gauge bounces from 0 up and back down. If i let off the gas, this will all stop. If I step on the gas again, it will start again. Sometimes I can floor the gas and it will come out of it and start driving normal again, but yesterday, it did not. It actually stalled and would not drive for about 10 minutes while I repeatedly attempted to start it and give it gas. Finally as one point it just stopped and everything was normal again.

This problem has happened sparatically ever since I got the car 5 years ago. It subsided for a while until recently when I changed the spark plugs, which is odd because a year ago I had some major engine work after warping a head from overheating (bad thermo). Keep in mind though that the problem was already existent before the engine work, and now after the engine work as well, no different than before. This major engine work resulted in the following including upgrades:
-port polished throttle body
-port polished intake manifold
-k&n air filter
-re-loped cam shafts
-new exhaust (ceramic JBA shorty)
-resurfaced head
-new thermostat
-new spark plugs
-new radiator
-sea foam after everything to clean out oil, gas, and engine (seafoam in the vacuum line where instructed)
-maybe one or two more I cant think of...not of importance

I have a logic understanding it is something with the throttle, electric system, or ECU, however I do not know much more than that because this is not a common occurrence. Will be taking it in to get checked out. Figured Id post here in case anyone else knows anything, has had this issue before, or may have this issue in future then I can provide an outcome (after I take it in).

Here is a video of whats happening!
http://youtu.be/33ND7-0oAuA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
848 Posts
If issue is still present, inspect the instrument cluster circuit for shorts to ground and corrosion.
Also, hang test an altenator if someone has one you can try. I would check for grounding first and reset all fuses for the cluster and engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: After much testing and looking into this issue, it appears that the intake filter was so dirty that it was restricting air flow. When I would step on the gas to accelerate, whether from stop of in motion, the car would experience these issues. I decided to remove the KnN air filter one night to see if this would affect it at all by narrowing down any problems.....well it didn't narrow it down, it solved it!! This sounds like an idiotic reason however I had just cleaned the filter a few months back but the method of driving and amount I do dirtied it up that much faster. Lesson learned, clean air filter more and don't over look the simple small things lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE #2 : So after messing with the filter the problem seemed to go away for a short period of time....then it came back...and it came back worse than before. Still the problem of the problem was, it was sparatic so it was hard to pinpoint it to any occurrence. Now whenever it would do it, the check engine light would trip and pop these two codes:

-U0100 Lost Comm w ECM/PCM module A
-P0700 Trans Control System Malfunction

After some talking to mechanics and whatnot, I was told that the ECM on the car may be going out. Whether it was from the custom tune I put in it (noted in initial post of this thread) or just time for it to fail, it looked like that was the problem. So I switched the ecm a week ago, reprogrammed the car to the custom tune, and everything on the first two to 4 drives worked ok in terms of the throttle not messing up like it did before and making the instrument panel go haywire with lights flashing. However (of course ish cant just be perfect lol), the check engine light tripped again and stayed on steady. Didn't affect the performance of the car but after two long drives, I ran the codes and they a bit strange:

-P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
-U0100 Lost Comm w ECM/PCM module A
-U0103 Lost Comm w Gear Shift Module
-U0121 Lost Comm w ABS Module

Since the codes were pulled, Ive cleared the codes from the car (not sure if any were carried over from before I switched the ecm, in particular the u0100 code) and will be driving it today and the rest of the week. Will see how this goes and update here as they come avail.

So to conclude, replacing the ECM, after the initial issue explained at the start of this thread, fixed the problem I was having of the throttle screwing up and dash board light flashing etc. This is a step in the right direction.........just got to work out these kinks now.

PS- more mods coming within next month!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts