Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody.
I just got my Mopar Grill in, and was wondering if anyone's gotten around taking off the entire front bumber to get it installed? I recall someone discussing starting at Step 11 on the instructions, but couldn't find there post. I was starting from step 1, and was removing the 8 popins, and one of them broke, no big deal, it's still in there, but taking it out is another problem. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated? I got a qoute for an install, and it was around $200, for a $40 grill. Amazing. If I can do it, I'd like too. Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
85 Posts
i just did my insert which requires taking out grill to remove inserts i started at the point of remving the four screws that hold it to the bumper area tight fit but it only took 15 min to complete removeale of grill and insert the new honeycomb insert. this link has the instructions start at like step 13 i think you should be fine

http://bstowers.mesanetworks.net/grill/

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bstowers,
I'm a bit confused, at step 13, the whole bumper is removed isn't it? Wouldn't I have to do steps 1-11 to get to that point, or is there a way to go under neath it and slide it out? Sorry for not understanding. Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, on my last post I meant to address, great999. Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
105 Posts
All that is holding the whole grille assembly in place is 4 screws and 4 clips. If you can remove all 4 screws without taking the bumper off then 'pop' or 'manuever' the 4 clips from their respectful slots, the grille will slide out easily (careful not too scratch the paint on the car). You can do all of this from the top with only the hood popped if you can get to all 4 screws (far left and right are pretty tricky).

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
200.....damn i could make a fortune doing this mod....it is too easy man. u can get to it without taking the bumper off...i took the whole damn thing off...took about an 1 1/2 to do it and i was being careful....but it can be done without taking it off....makes it much easier.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Have a read through on this thread, Jason:

http://xenforo.local.svc.cluster.local/threads/1401/

Basically, you want to have very tiny hands, and a very tiny screw driver to get to the screws on the far left and the far right. The best situation would be if you had a phillips head bit for a ratchet. You can do it with a really stubby screw driver (I did), but it's a lot more work. You do not have to remove the entire front clip if you can get to those outside screws.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I'm still working it, and will resume tomorrow. I see the two easy screws, those won't be a problem, but the outside ones, I'm not sure about. Hey has anyone gotten to them by removing the bottom plastic under the bumper? I took off the two black pieces on top, so the middle screws are easy, but am stumped on how to get the last two. Also, when you get all 4 off, does the chrome portion come out too with the stock grill? Thanks everyone.

Jason

·
Registered
382 Posts
Check out post #45 in that thread I pointed you at. It's how I did it. It's not the only way, and probably not the easiest way. If you have a ratchet with a phillips bit, you probably don't have to remove any more than those top bits. If you slide your hand back inside there, you should be able to feel the screw.

And yes, the chrome part comes out with the rest of it. Be careful not to scratch the paint on the area directly in front of it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i did mine just by removing those top inserts over between the front bumper and the radiator and making my hands really small to get the screws on the sides hey the install is easy the reason they want 200 dollars for install is on se model they need to program the computer to let the lights work. do install yourself and pay 85 for programming( which is a rip off) only a few minutes to program if im correct by looking at the flow chart for starscan end of the install. i guess dc wants the car owner to pay for the dealers tool as well.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hey Dutch Master:
If I want to have a totally black grill (no chrome as on the stock R/T) is the SRT8 the way to go?
What are the odds I will get to those four screws without fn anything up?
DId you order your grill from the dealer or another source?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did anyone else install the right and left screws back into the new grill. I didn't.

I thought it would be a quick 15 minute mod, which turned out to be about an hour. In the end, I didn't put in the right and left screws. I secured the center screws and pulled on the grill, pretty hard, and it wouldn't budge.

Besides, I dropped one of the screws anway, into the dark engine bay abyss.:embarrese

·
Registered
244 Posts
I also put mine in that same way. Once you get the radiator cowl or "air guides" out of the way, it is realatively simple to get to those 2 side screws. It was still a bugger to get out after that, those tabs were very strong and tight. But it looks nice. I just went with the honey comb grille insert and the R/T badge. I got the one that clips right on to the grille. Very nice and clean. Pics listed below, but they are a little dark. Man, I love my car!!!! Many more mods to do... :rockon:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dco39...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Tom.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I forgot to mention...did anyone else notice that the screws that are holding the grille in are actually Roberts square head screws? They are kinda like an Allen head, but square instead of hexagonal. It makes sense since the car is built in Canada, that the screws are the square headed Roberts type, but the large stubby phillips will work as well. I used the Roberts driver to put them back in and that also helped make it easier because they stay on the driver easier until you find the hole.

Tom.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Thanks to dco397 for pointing out that they're square-head screws, not phillips like they appear. After getting the "right tools" it took about an hour to do the whole job, without pulling the whole front off. Actually took a total of 2 hours, but that's because ol' butterfingers dropped a 1/4" socket down inside the black hole that is the front of the Charger and spent an hour trying to find it (never did).

I highly recommend the following 2 items: #2 Robertson (square head) bit, small ratchet for 1/4" bits. Both at Home Depot for about $13.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts