Charger Forums banner

Were these instructions helpful?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The following instructions will show all you Charger mod junkies how you can get one of these babies glowin’ in your ride. In order to do this mod you'll need a "Light Bright" shift insert from Billet Technologies, a ¼” drill bit and motor, a jigsaw, and the materials/tools shown below.

Step 1

Disassemble the shift consol by pulling out the shifter tray. Insert your finger in hole on side of the tray and pull up on bezel to pop the snaps. Do not pull up on the front of the bezel, as it is still held in place by two screws near the ash tray. Use a small screwdriver to pull up and remove the rubber cover in front of the ashtray. Underneath are two Phillips head screws, take um’ out.

Step 2

Remove the shift knob by turning it counterclockwise. Now you can remove the factory shift plate. Use a small flat screwdriver to gently pry up the snap tabs on the right side while firmly lifting upward. Start in the front and then move to the rear. Once both tabs are free, put side pressure toward the left side and gently pry up the tabs on the left and remove the factory shift plate. Flip the sift plate over and drill 1/4" holes through the "P" and "D". Use a jigsaw (or utility knife) to cut straight slots along the plastic ridges between the holes. This slot is your “Light Bright” opening. Lineup the factory shift plate and your “Light Bright” shift plate and hold them up to the light. If any holes are obstructed by plastic use a utility knife to remove excess material from the slot.

Step 3

Aluminum tape is used to consistently and evenly distribute light from you LED’s. Place aluminum tape on the back of the shift plate and trim any excess on the edges and around your “Light Bright” opening.

Step 4

Remove the factory light by twisting the mini-socket from the back 90° degrees and pull out. Cut and strip both wires exposing 1/2" of copper wire for the splice.
(Note: There’s not much slack and you'll need the length so cut close to the light)

Step 5

Test the circuit by turning on the running lights to identify the positive and negative leads and ensure you have power. If you don't have a voltage meter don’t sweat it, just use one of your LEDs to determine the polarity. Light Emitting Diodes pass current in one direction and will only work if properly connected.

Step 6

Line the light tray of the exposed shifter body with aluminum tape and trim any excess on the edges.

Step 7

Begin to layout your LEDs in the light tray by passing them from left to right through the mini socket hole. I found it is best to use 6 x 5mm high-powered LEDs for the best lighting effect. Once you have them all in their correct locations, tape them in place starting from the top and bottom, working in toward the center. Cut all of the LED’s leads to a length of 5”-6”, strip all wires exposing 1/2" of copper, and twist like color leads together in preparation of making the splice. You can test the LEDs at this point to make sure that they all are properly working.

Step 8

Use 2 x 14-16 gauge butt connectors to make the splices. Be sure that all wires are pressed firmly into each fitting prior to crimping the connector with your wire strippers.

Step 9

Tuck the new wire bundles neatly along the left side of the shifter body.

Step 10

Peal the red plastic from the 3M tape and very carefully aligning and attach the Billet “Light Bright” shift plate to the factory shift plate. Reassemble the “Light Bright” shift plate to the shifter body by pushing down firmly until each tab “clicks” into place.

Step 11

Use Steps 2 and 1 in reverse order to reassemble the trim parts.

Other than putting away your tools and vacuuming your Charger, you’re DONE!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
nah.. sorry, don't like it... now if it said Charger..then maybe...

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yes, my next project.

Is this a mass produced item or are you the one and only owner?
You can do what ever you want, a cool design, your name, CHARGER, what ever dude. From what I got back from Billet Tech, I'm the very first person to do this mod. What an honor eah? I didn't want to bogart the idea either after I saw how bitchen it turned out. Just think you could be #2 in the world to have a one-of-a-kind mod.

It cost me $43 with shipping from Billet, but I provide them a CAD drawing. I spent another $5 for the LED's. In my book, $50 for a one-of-a-kind mod is an awesome deal.

If you end up doing this, be sure to post your final pictures on the first thread I started that has better pictures and how I came up with doing this.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55873&highlight=light+bright

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for this write-up, Knarley. I am trying to change the color of the PRND but my attempts aren't working so well right now. This would fix that problem and look flippin' sweet at the same time. This is definetly something I want to do now.

·
Registered
507 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts