Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there are already some threads on this question so if you can just post the thread that has the answer that would be great. I am going to do a cam for sure and possibly heads. I need to know how big of a job it is to do both and if there are any labor gains by doing them at the same time. Do you have to take off the front end or drop the motor for the cam install? Any information would be great.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Its easier if you take off the fascia, but you don't have to. You can drop the radiator if you want. And most of us have taken the heads off anyway to upgrade the rods and springs. So its a good time to do both and a new pulley.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yup I have never done this install before until on my car. It took a total of 8 hours with two food breaks included. Being it was my first time I really took my time with the install to make sure there were no mistakes. Of course doing the heads and cam at the same time would make a ton of sense. No use doing them separately. My heads came with springs installed already but still it was great pulling the heads to get to the headers. I also swapped the pulley while everything had to come out anyway. On my install I dropped the radiator down instead of pulling off the frontend. I had plenty of room to get the cam out.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
if youre planning on doing heads later, just wait.

it takes at least 8 hours to do the cam, as TH said, taking your time and being thorough.
heads will take about 6 hours, maybe a little less if you can buzz thru it, since theyre a little less involved than the cam.
and as TH said, you can just swing the radiator down and leave the fascia on. plenty of room doing it this way, and saves quite a lot of work.

you will also be paying for a spring upgrade and have to spend more time installing those on your factory heads,
then you wont wanna pay for springs again when you do ported heads, so you will have to pull the springs and put them on the ported heads,
do you know how to set spring install heights? doing it correctly requires a special tool.

i would highly advise doing it all at once

but you will be buying new head gaskets, head bolts, coolant and oil... BOTH times.

so you will spend at least 100-150 in parts that you just payed for to do the cam only, plus an extra 5+ hours of labor.

you will need a tune for the cam, and a re-tune for the heads/cam.. an extra 3-450 dollars

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Yep!...What he said^^^^....Heads and cam together....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info; heads and cam it is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I were to do it all over again I would just get a stroker first.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts