Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the engine need to be lifted in order to install headers?? I was possibly looking to get the AEM Long tube headers but my guy who is installing them wants to know if he would need to lift the engine. He said sometimes you don't on certain cars....

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I cant really say for sure because I havent done them myself, but based on all the reading ive done on this forum, I dont believe the engine needs to be lifted to do the job. I know some of the bolts are a PITA to get to, but all in all I think it can be done, but its all got to be done from the bottom if Im not mistaken. Im sure someone will chime in on this and give you a more definite answer, but thats my opinion.

-Pat

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
No, I ahve heard it makes it a little easier tho. Most of the work can be done on your back. Some have accessed a few bolts on the passenger side thru the wheelwell area using extensions. I accessed a few bolts on the driver side by removing the CAI and the coolant resevoir i believe it was.

It was difficult but not as bad as i thought it would be once i got started. I had never done anything even remotely similar.

If possible, try it yourself

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The only cars you need to lift the engine are little cars with huge motors that don't have any room to work. These car give a pretty decent amount of room to work so you won't need to lift the engine.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I heard installing the headers is a real *****...i was quoted a price of 600 bucks with like a 10 hr install...:(

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
out of what i've read on this forum, it seems about 50% of the ppl lift and 50% dont.
I've pretty much seen the same. People do it without lifting the engine but there's a lot of swearing in the posts for these people when they explain how hard it was lol

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yea it cost me about $550 for the install myself but way worth it to me because i dont have access to a lift and im not gonna try to take those bolts off under a car on jacks and then try to torque them down under there...hahahaa

Oh and no they didnt have to lift the engine by the way.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
$600 would be about the most you would want to spend to get headers installed on these cars. I only paid $300.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for that link, some good info!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hell, anyone living close to Ohio I am up to the job. Just pm me. I installed my JBAs, another set of JBAs, and Pimplay2's Mopar longtubes. Headers are easy if you have all the right tools and you do not have to raise the motor. I think you save time without removing motor mounts and dont have to worry about recentering the motor or clearance issues.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does the engine need to be lifted in order to install headers??
The guy to ask is Moparrbust. He installed our Mopar LT headers on a hot Saturday in Vegas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts