Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - thanks to all of you for posting your experience in changing out the grills. I purchased mine from Lee's as you recommended, and it arrived in no time. Now, when I saw the 22-step removal process, I *TOO* was appalled and more than a little intimidated. The car is a month old and I'm going to remove the front end?!? Reading your own posts gave me a lot of confidence that I could do it myself. Now, it's time to repay the favor...

My method is VERY simple, and I didn't have to remove ANYTHING other than the top of the air box - those two black parts just pop out. I initially removed the right air guide in order to get to the far right screw (started with the two hard ones), and then realized that I really didn't need to remove the air guide to get it. While you can't SEE the screw with the air guide in place, you can FEEL where the screw is by the round indent in the front fascia (See Step 13 of Mopar's instructions, indicating the placement of the four screws.)

I used a small, flat, round 1/4" ratcheting tool (S&K makes it - I asked my mechanic friend what it's called, and he said "d$mn&d if I know...") Anyway, take a P2 phillips driver bit, find a 1/4" socket that will accomodate the bit. Wrap electrical tape around the bit and socket to keep them tightly together. Now, with this arrangement on the ratcheting tool, and with reasonably big hands, I was still able to reach between the air guide and the front fascia on the left side, feel for the round indent and, with a bit of work, back the screws out. Now, it's still some effort to back the screw out - it takes some time even with a ratcheting tool to do it when you can't move your arm more than 2 or 3 inches. But I didn't have to take anything else apart. Replacing them wasn't difficult either - I was able to hand thread them back in place and then drive them home using the same tool.

I'll post pictures with this thread to show the tool I used and the result.

Thanks again guys! I'm just delighted with the grill! Has anyone considered painting their brake calipers like those on the Daytona?

2006 Charger R/T in Magnesium
New Honeycomb Grill and R/T logo
Ventvisors going on tomorrow

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I've decided that I like my R/T grill the way it is. Just gonna add an R/T badge.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Good post, thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
i just put the rt badge on the stock rt grill and looks awesome. had on for a month and numerous high powered car washes and stays on, put and carefully crafted double sided tape. awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice Job, I think thats a Thumbwheel Ratchet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts