Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was getting a lot of mud splashing up on the sides of my car behind both wheels. I figured eventually it would start taking the paint off. Went to the local Dodge dealer and picked up front and rear splash guards this morning for about $43 per pair. The instructions were fair, except the 3/32" bit recommended was way too small and I ended up using 7/32". The plastic rivets were a bit stubborn coming out, found it easier to drill a 1/8" hole through them first and then grab them with side-cutters or a needle-nose. A couple of them went out the back way after I chewed the heads off!

Had to jack up all four corners to get clearance for my drill and stubby screwdriver, but did not have to remove any of the wheels. Overall, the project was fun, the splash guards look great and "factory", and I am looking forward to mud puddles now!:beerchug:

·
Registered
854 Posts
eh...i have never been a fan of how they look. i guess if functionality is what you are going for then you are good to go.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TudorML, I can sure understand that. They are about as small and unobtrusive as possible while still being functional. It seems like half of the Billings streets are torn up and gravelled (or mud) this year, and I also drive gravel roads on occasion. Felt they were a good choice for my car and the types of roads up here. Also thought about aerodynamics but since they are behind the wheels they should have little impact.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep that's almost exactly how mine look supermod! Except my car is dark titanium and I didn't paint the black splash guards. The colors are close enough that they look great on the car IMO. The color exactly matches the tires! Note my sig pic with just a bit of mud on the rocker panels. This morning it was 10 times worse. Put the guards on today and washed the car, went for a drive tonight, found some dirt roads but the car still looks clean!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yep I have the same ones. No mud on my Quarters lol. Nice mod and pic.

·
Registered
942 Posts
We had them installed at the dealership before we even took delivery. We have the plastic black rockers, so we left the guards black. It looks great and you barely notice they are there. They work extremely well, especially in the winter time.
Here's a shot of our's from the side...

And a rear 3/4 shot

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
They look nice for what they are!

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I wouldn't mind a set of these except that I've got serious issues with drilling into the metal in the wheel-well. Aren't we just asking for trouble, creating exposed sheet-metal in that area? Water's bound to penetrate behind the splash guard and run down, ending up where the plastic pegs are. If there was another way to reliably mount these, I'd consider them.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I like mine and i dont listen to people that tell me to take them off.

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drilling/Rust Concern

I was concerned with drilling into the fenders too until I got the kit. There are only two screws that penetrate metal on the front two guards, and Mopar gives you heavily coated silicone screws for those. The holes that you drill are on the inside lip of the fender so if you remove the guards they would not be noticable unless you looked inside the wheel well. All of the other screws either go into pre-existing plastic rivet holes or into the plastic rear lower quarter panels. Metal clips are provided to provide grip for the screws going into plastic. I figure even if the two siliconed holes rust a bit this is a lot better than chewing up the rocker panels and rear quarter panels with flying mud, sand, and rock chips over time.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I was concerned with drilling into the fenders too until I got the kit. There are only two screws that penetrate metal on the front two guards, and Mopar gives you heavily coated silicone screws for those. The holes that you drill are on the inside lip of the fender so if you remove the guards they would not be noticable unless you looked inside the wheel well. All of the other screws either go into pre-existing plastic rivet holes or into the plastic rear lower quarter panels. Metal clips are provided to provide grip for the screws going into plastic. I figure even if the two siliconed holes rust a bit this is a lot better than chewing up the rocker panels and rear quarter panels with flying mud, sand, and rock chips over time.
Thanks for the info. The idea that it's only two holes is an improvement. I might talk to my body guy and see what he thinks about sealing around the splash guard.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On the fence

I recently polished my 2010 Charger for the first time since I've owned it. I love detailing my car, but at the same time, I hated seeing the small nicks and rough spots on the rocker panels and behind the wheels that have already accumulated.

It was after my polishing experience that I have started considering splash guards for my Charger. I am on the fence about this issue as well. I hate the idea of drilling holes into metal to mount the splash guards, but at the same time, it makes me queasy to think about road debris causing any more damage to my rocker panels. Another concern I have is the look... it would be hard for me to buy them if they made my car look as though it had "mud flaps".

Thank you, dstrand25, for your comments about your splash guards. It does aid me a bit to know that it's only the front guards that require the metal drilling. I would be interested to hear other people's comments and experiences with the Mopar splash guards.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey DC, understand your concern about the mud flap look. IMO, the Mopar splash guards do not detract from the Charger, but compliment it. They are small and contoured - at times I wish they were a little bigger, since my car has 255 width tires. They still cut down on the splash about 80% though. I have noticed a couple of the screw heads are rusty - might have to replace with stainless in the future!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here is a pic with them painted to match the car

I was at the Dodge dealer today for some other services, so I decided to stop by the parts department and ask them about splash guards. One thing I asked them about was painting them. They told me they only paint the back side of the splash guards, as the paint would be chipped off quickly if the front sides were painted.

Is this the way the splash guards are typically painted? Does the paint hold up pretty well to the abuse the splash guards would be exposed to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are concerned about screw holes rusting apply a small amount of silicone sealant to the screw threads and it will seal any bare metal from rusting. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts