Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a set of ST Suspensions coilovers and Hotchkis sways yesterday so I thought I'd share a few words with those looking to install these or a similar set up. I know there are already a couple technical write-ups floating around but I wanted to share a couple personal details of the install.

My buddy and I started out by crackin' a couple beers and opening up the boxes. That was the best part!

My suggestions for anyone doing a coilover and sway install on their own is to aquire 4 jack stands and a floor jack to get the car all the way up in the air. It made things so much easier. Next, make sure you have a good set of sockets, wrenches, impact tools if you can, a ball joint separator, a 3-5 pound hammer, a set of spring compressors and of course plenty of your favorite beer!

For the fronts, it was pretty cut and dry. Once everything is disconnected, use your jack and lower the whole assembly down nice and slow. You'll end up re-using the stock Top Hats after trimming the boots off. Once assembled, put them back in. It wasn't too bad. The front sway bar was really easy. I don't need to go any further than that.

Now, the rears...that was a little bit more difficult. The way we did it though, made it really easy to do both the rear struts/springs and sways in one shot. To make a long story shorter, you'll un-hook the rear exhaust mounts, and carefully drop the entire rear sub-frame using your floor jack set under your pumkin housing and keeping mind of your rear brake hard-lines. Dropping the entire sub-frame allows you access to easily remove the stock rear sway bar and rear coils. Once your new parts are thrown back in, bolt up the rear subframe and install the struts then re-bolt everything back up.

Now, again I will say this wasn't by any means meant to be a "technical" write up but I hope it will give a general idea of what's in store, should you decide to install your own parts.

All in all, including beer and smoke brakes and dinner it was about a solid 6 hours of work.

I want to put a special Thanks out there to Josh from HHP for taking the time to get my order squared away and getting my parts out to me so quickly.

Now, so I'm not accused of breaking the rules, here's a pic. It's just a teaser though, I'll have nice new pics after the show this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I totally did not read past "I installed a set of ST Suspensions coilovers and Hotchkis sways" because I have absolutely zero interest in suspension.

I just wanted to tell you that you that you have a hotazz car. I love the 2-tone look, especially when black is on the bottom. I don't usually like black rims, but yours are real nice.

/quiently walks out the same way she came in

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Aaaahhhh come on man!! You know you gotta give us some full body shots!! You know better than that!! :)
Chase

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I totally did not read past "I installed a set of ST Suspensions coilovers and Hotchkis sways" because I have absolutely zero interest in suspension.

I just wanted to tell you that you that you have a hotazz car. I love the 2-tone look, especially when black is on the bottom. I don't usually like black rims, but yours are real nice.

/quiently walks out the same way she came in
Thank you for the compliments. Sorry suspensions aren't your thing.

Aaaahhhh come on man!! You know you gotta give us some full body shots!! You know better than that!! :)
Chase
Sorry Chase!! But I only have the one pic and I'm not taking any more until I get her in the show on Saturday.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks nice Cali but whats up with the teaser pic we need full body shots! Any issues with tires rubbing she looks pretty low.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks nice Cali but whats up with the teaser pic we need full body shots! Any issues with tires rubbing she looks pretty low.
Sorry for the teaser but I have to wait until after Saturday's show to unveil the full body shot.

Don't know if Im gonna have issues yet. I haven't driven 'er since the install. I can't legally take 'er on the street due to no tail lights and other parts removed. Also another reason for no full body photos.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Cool man!! Good luck this weekend (like ya need it)!! I'm sure another trophy is in the works for you my brotha!! :)
Chase

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm glad everything worked out on the install. The 1/4 of it that I can see, looks good.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
404 Pictures Not Found :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A little update...I finally got to give 'er a good test drive today. Rides really well and handles a lot better. But....my front is too low. I have to bring 'er up a little bit. My right front tire bit the lip of my fender well today while turning into a drive way and now there's a dimple in the outside edge. :fuming: I'm pissed but you live and you learn. I'll just bring it up a 1/2 inch and roll my fenders, that should be good. I hope.

Chase...Thanks for the wishes of luck and I will take 'em. I'm still waiting to catch my first trophy. We'll see.

PUREVIL...Not sure what you are getting at.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well the judges must have been idiots before then......that thing is a piece of art.....
Chase

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Just a lil internet joke about how your pictures weren't loading. I remember that thread about the car show. The 2 mods I thought would be best for your car were lowering it and tinted tails. I cant wait to see some full shots after you get it lowered.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the judges must have been idiots before then......that thing is a piece of art.....
Chase
Gotta fight the good 'ol boy system sometimes. This weekends show is being judged by professionals so maybe they'll notice the fricken insane amount of work and TLC I put into 'er.

BTW, did you catch my thread about my tails...they're finally done. :rockon:

I'm so excited!!! :happy:

Now it's back to preping for the show for me...Oooooo, what fun!! :wax:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Looks Great !!!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'd have settled for full body shots of Yldthing in the meantime. Nice looking car. The same job, or close anyway, to what I want to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts