Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a set of OEM mud flaps yesterday from Lee Auto Parts and installed same last night. It was kind of a pain since all the plastic rivets I had to remove first needed to be cut out. They recommended using a wire cutters to snip them but I found I could not get under them. I ended up using a very sharp woodworking chisel to slice their heads off. After that the job went OK. They recommend drilling an additional hole into the front fender for an upper screw in the flaps but I found it to be well secured with just the lower three screws. I did not like the idea of drilling into the metal of the car anyway. For the rear flaps, I did drill into the bottom fascia (It is just pastic) to place a lower screw, which was really needed to keep it secure. I had to run it up on ramps to be able to get at it with the drill. When I ordered the flaps I was under the impression that the rear ones would have the charger logo on it but mine did not. Looks fine without. I am happy with the results. I could not believe the tar already on the lower panels.

RJ
Daytona Charger 2328

·
Registered
732 Posts
Cool, I would really like to see pictures. I think thats something I want to do real soon, myself.

Rod

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I put the rears only on about a week ago and found the same things you did. I might go with the fronts as well. Was indeed a pain to get those plastic rivets out. I'm figuring they might protect the rear quaters from muck this winter.
Post a picture of the fronts

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm curious where I should order these from. Some links would be cool. Thanks,

Rod

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
looks like i wasn't the only one who installed mud flaps yesterday. i tried using a 2-piece drive up ramp but that didn’t work, i couldn’t remove the incline piece due to tire placement (and it was all the way forward) and i couldn’t get in there with the drill. instead i used a floor jack and used the jacking point after slipping the “cup” behind & under the the plastic trim. for the front ones i had to turn the wheels (to access the top point to be drilled) and jack each side up. for the rear, all i had to do was jack up one side and it raised the other side of the body high enough to get under there to drill the bottom hole without a problem. while the instructions called for a ¼” drill bit to drill the hole on the rear one, i went with a 7/32 bit. it seemed to fit better thru the pre-drilled hole on the flap than the ¼” bit did. i got my flaps from dodge and there is no logo on them either. yep, the plastic rivets were a pita. the plain black flaps look pretty good (along with all the other black trim already on the car) with the silver color so i didn’t bother painting them. and yes, there was a bunch of crap on those panels here too. i spent more time thinking about doing the project and wasting my time with the ramps, than it took to do the job using a floor jack. and they do look good, better than the plain, flat, non-oem ones that i have on the mustang.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My favorite small cutting tool...
Nippy Cutters (radioshack part #64-2959), Ive used those to cut all kinds of rivets, excess solder, wire ties, and pretty much anything small. I havent seen the plastic rivets you are talking about but these things are angled and makes it really easy to get under rivet heads.

Ive been really thinking about getting these because in miami FL with all the rain, there's puddles everywhere. So i wanna try to keep as much muddy water off the rear pannel. Time to look for some pictures to see how they look.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
That's the kind of tool I was thinking about but was of course too lazy to go out and buy! I used a pair of surgical forceps to get a grip on the rivet.
I also used a 7/32 and was just able to get the drill under the rear of the car without ramps/jacks etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been pondering on doing this myself. I'd love to see some pics of your work.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
All pictures of my work are banned lest I have my tools confiscated. Remember, I'm the guy who resorted to using forceps.
(Actually, if there is a way to attatch a photo with a reply I would like to learn how. I'll go shoot a picture right now for ya)
Better yet, give me an e-mail address.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hemiready said:
All pictures of my work are banned lest I have my tools confiscated. Remember, I'm the guy who resorted to using forceps.
(Actually, if there is a way to attatch a photo with a reply I would like to learn how. I'll go shoot a picture right now for ya)
Better yet, give me an e-mail address.
You can attach an attachment to your reply. go to the advance reply, not the quick reply and there's a button below the text box called "Manage Attachments". Browse and upload. :happy:

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
ok here goes
I just threw the one of the front grill :happy:

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Did you read my mind or something about wanting a really clear picture of your grill frame? Dang you're good!

BTW, where did you get your grill and frame?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Lees Parts. Ask for Brian. It's the painted trim from the SRT8 and the grill is already in there. The emblem was seperate.
The rear spoiler comes un painted in flat black.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks good. It looks like you painted the spoiler then. Did you do that yourself?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
If I did it would be a disaster. Local body shop - who of course put a scratch in the trunk for me as well.

I like the look though.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Hemiready said:
If I did it would be a disaster. Local body shop - who of course put a scratch in the trunk for me as well.

I like the look though.
I like the look of the scratches I've accumulated as well. :)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I saw the surface scratch right away which of course they denied doing. I mentioned that it matches perfectly with the screws sticking out of the spoiler and he probably missed the hole when he first put the spoiler in. He cleaned it up but they are still there.
Since I drive my car into NYC (Last night again) and park in garages I'm waiting for the inevitable anyway so I try not to get too pissed. If I go back to him for anything (SRT8 hood anyone?) I'll be sure to point it out again and talk $$'s on any more work.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, you are a much more calm person than I. There's no way I could have settled for that. Don't know what I would have done about it, but... wow.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Zen my friend.
Actually, I have railed against this type of thing before with some good results and some negative.
This time I had just come back from the hospital to pick up the car. We had been told to get right down there because my garndmmother was going to die - she didn't. That, and a business situation that was going bad that Friday afternoon made me think of other things so I just was happy the spoiler was on for the weekend, grandma did not go towards the light and quite frankly I was not going to let them repaint the whole trunk for these little scratches anyway. The only satisfaction I was going to get was $$$'s at best and that don't erasae the scratches.

However, NOW I'm pissed :monster:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts