Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So installed a set of BBK shorty headers this weekend and everything went well as far has the install. I did have to replace one O2 sensor due to the wires getting damaged wire out of the car. After installing the headers i started the car up let run while I checked for exhaust leaks and cleaned up tools. After about 30 minutes I get in the car decide to drive it and make it about 300 yards and start to stop the car dies. The only way to restart it is to have it at full throttle but if you let up on it it dies again. So next day I try and start it again runs fine for about 3 mins then dies same problem. No codes are set at this point.
Took to dealer today they looked at it said O2 sensor i replaced was the problem cause it was non oem. I had them replace it with oem one, same problem but know I have 2 codes set p0172, p0175 they say its the up stream O2 sensors and the headers are the problem. they say to fix the car i need to remove the headers.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
665 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is that you need a proper tune, I know this was necessary with my Long Tube headers. Maybe one of the guys with shorties will chime in, but if it is the tune I hope you own a Predator if not you will need one ASAP. The guy to hit up if it is the tune is [email protected] he can do a quick E-Mail tune for your Predator based off of what your car is currently running of course there is a fee for that as well which he would cover with you..Hope you find the fix... :beerchug:

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
You do not have to have a tune when after installing headers...a tune will just get the most out of the headers plus at idle the PCM controls a/f so the tune wont matter....I bet you have a leak and sucking air either at the heads or collectors...this would cause the O2 sensors to read lean and start dumping fuel to compensate...

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0172

·
Registered
127 Posts
I installed JBA shorties and catless mids...it was fine for a while with the 93 octane CAI. After a while, the engine would start to snort and snarl when in idle...real bad...shaking and jumping. You need a tune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Took to a different dealer they found the problem in a hour and a half. My Egr valve got stuck open, replaced and runs great.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Update

Took to a different dealer they found the problem in a hour and a half. My Egr valve got stuck open, replaced and runs great.
Yep..had to be something other than the tune since headers have been a mod long before tunes were available for these cars..

·
Registered
336 Posts
it is possible for this to happen to a V6 when getting JBA shorty headers?

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yep..had to be something other than the tune since headers have been a mod long before tunes were available for these cars..
Would there be any real benefits to doing this mod on the 3.5L??

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Would there be any real benefits to doing this mod on the 3.5L??
Generally headers will help make more power on most engines....the more mods done to improve airflow the more benefit (cam, heads, intake, etc)....the question is will they make enough power to be worth the $$ cost? (cost-benefit).....I am not up on the 3.5 so you might do some searching...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts