Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Florida where the weather is always hot. A few days ago we had a cold front and the temps dropped to the mid-60s and I could feel the difference in my car. I decided I wanted a CAI but I did not want to buy aftermarket. Those things just suck hot air from the engine. Essentially they are hot air intakes. There's closed box cold air intakes with snorkels for $400-500 but let's be real. The Charger has it's on snorkel of sorts and a closed box. Read on to see data logs and PROVEN results and performance increases with my experiment.
I experimented with this....

It actually worked well, but there were several downsides.
1. It looked ridiculous.
2.When it came time to clean and oil my filter I would have to take it all off anyway.
3. While it did seem to work, I was afraid on long drives hot air might get trapped inside the loose-ish mylar bubble insulation and get trapped possibly making it worse.
So I came up with what I call the "Ghetto Stock CAI 2.0"

As you can see from the image I took the entire box out, tightly wrapped mylar insulation bubble wrap around the bottom portion, and put it back in. On the top part of the box, I put heat tape on the inside. This added an element of insulation and made the surface a little smoother for better airflow. I then tightly wrapped the top outside portion of the box in mylar insulated bubble wrap and wrapped the tubing in heat tape.
Before I did all this I took a data log to see how the intake was performing. Then, about an hour after the first log while I put all this together I allowed the car to cool down and do another log.
Each log was done today do the conditions were identical.
Started with a cool engine.
Drove the same route
Fifteen minutes each time to allow the car to completely warm-up.
90 degrees ambient temperatures outside.
Here are the results of before and after.

As you can see the stock intake drew air that was about 10 degrees warmer immediately and had a heat soak form the engine of 27 degrees for a net increase of 37 degrees above ambient temperature.
The modified "Ghetto stock CAI 2.0" drew air that was 2 degrees cooler and had a heat soak of the engine of 3.5 degrees for a net increase of 1.5 degrees above ambient temperatures.
Also if you look at the long-term ADAP you can see the fuel to air is nearly perfect with the modified intake.

It may look ghetto but I am more about performance than looks. If I co to a show I may swap out a cheap aftermarket CAI just so I don't get funny looks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'd be more worried about the funny looks when your engine gobbles a piece of that heat tape when it sucks in thru the intake!

It was 90 degrees out and your intake air was between 87.8 and 91.40 after having let the engine warm up for 15 minutes? That just doesn't seem plausible... if you can achieve below ambient you should quite your job I'm sure there are a lot of OEM manufacturers and aerospace companies that could use your services!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd be more worried about the funny looks when your engine gobbles a piece of that heat tape when it sucks in thru the intake!

It was 90 degrees out and your intake air was between 87.8 and 91.40 after having let the engine warm up for 15 minutes? That just doesn't seem plausible... if you can achieve below ambient you should quite your job I'm sure there are a lot of OEM manufacturers and aerospace companies that could use your services!
There's plenty of videos out there describing this and they sell it in the auto parts specifically designed for it. I am not too concerned. The heat shield is on the top of the box, with pressure going upwards it should actually push it tighter against the top and not pull off. I may add a large mesh at the opening of the box to avoid this.
The lower than ambient temps probably has to do with the snorkel being directed lower towards the ground. Hot air rises, cold air stays low, and the ground is always cooler.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
And at what temp does that stuff combust?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And at what temp does that stuff combust?
Rated withstand up to 2,000 degrees. Internal combustion of an engine is 4,500 degrees so if it did get sucked in, it would likely burn up. The pieces are large though smallest being 6 inches, the diameter of the intake is 3.5. I highly doubt it would make it all the way anyway. Probably get lodged before it even made it past the throttle. And again, I don't see it happening anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts