Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Minneapolis this weekend in my toxic orange '11 R/T....loaded down with a trunk full of luggage, 2 kids, myself and the wife, we managed 27.5mpg actual calculated (miles driven/gallons to fill) when we stopped at Wisconsin Dells, 30.8 when we gassed up before we left Minneapolis, 27.96 when we gassed up in Beloit, WI, and 27.95 when I filled up this morning on my way in to work. 1160 miles round trip. that's phenomenal for such a fun, powerful car....makes me wonder how much better it would have been with the V6 or the 8 speed...that's actually about 2mpg better than what we average with our 2006 grand caravan on the same trip....

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have experienced similar mpg several times with my Max on long highway trips. Excellent for a 370hp V8. I think it has to do with the 2.65 rear diff. gear and 4 cyl mode in my car. Also now that we have switched over to summer fuel the mpg increases.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That's awesome mileage. I just made a run to St Louis and back and averaged 21 mpg. I have an AWD so my gearing is higher and it weighs a few hundred lbs more. I was doing about 80 mph which put me at about 2,300-2,400 rpms.
I think if I was at or under 2K it would be much better mpg.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was about 2mpg difference between cruise set at 68-69, and cruise set at 74-75 in my car....

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I usually have the cruise set at 77 mph most of the time in a 70 with rmps at 1900. Yeah the Max with it's cruiser gears get pretty good highway mpg at the expense of some performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
My 08 averaged high 20's on my drive down to Florida. I only had to fill up twice on the trip from NYC there. It's great for a heavy car with a V8.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put 1290 miles on my Max between 4/10 and 4/18. Two tanks averaged 28.5 mpg. One was 22.3. That tank was a lot of slower, mountain roads where I drove a bit more aggressively, starts and stops...city driving...

Average for the entire 1290 mileage was 26.2 mpg calculated with actual fill ups, not the computer.

I was pleased.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I find that my computer is pretty accurate...about 1 mpg off when driving back and forth to work over two weeks, only 1/3 to 1/2 mpg off on a long trip.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I averaged about 21.5 yesterday driving between Atlanta and Auburn, AL.

I have MDS turned off and it's a drive with a lot of rolling hills. Probably would get better mpg if I drove slower, too. ;)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I averaged about 21.5 yesterday driving between Atlanta and Auburn, AL.

I have MDS turned off and it's a drive with a lot of rolling hills. Probably would get better mpg if I drove slower, too. ;)
I bet turning off MDS probably knocks about 2-3mpg off typical driving, and 4-5 on a freeway trip.....

·
Registered
447 Posts
I bet turning off MDS probably knocks about 2-3mpg off typical driving, and 4-5 on a freeway trip.....
I noticed about a 2mpg difference in my daily drive. Not a big deal because my commute is only 9 miles.

We don't drive to Auburn all that often, so it's not worth connecting my Diablo tuner and going through the whole tune install process just to switch MDS back on.

Just reporting my experience for reference, in case anyone is curious about the differences with MDS on/off.

The upside is, my car doesn't sound like a Civic with a fart can when MDS kicks on. :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
I get an average of 11.5 mpg around town no matter how I drive. 16.2 on my last trip to MN and back. Sure glad gas prices came down!:beerchug:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I get an average of 11.5 mpg around town no matter how I drive. 16.2 on my last trip to MN and back. Sure glad gas prices came down!:beerchug:
I've gotten better gas mileage. I get about 13 around town. I think there's something wrong with my gas pedal. It seems to pull itself down.:grin2: I can get about 25-26 on the highway if I drive 55-65, but I hate driving so slooooowwwwww. So I usually get about 22-23.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've gotten better gas mileage. I get about 13 around town. I think there's something wrong with my gas pedal. It seems to pull itself down.:grin2:
I have a medical condition that causes my right foot to be heavier than the average person's. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have a '10 SXT and 28.5 is the best mpg I ever got on a summer run between DC and NY. But I'm only getting 20mpg in mixed driving- negligible difference between it and similar year R/T. I think the later years show a more marked difference in fuel economy- still going for a hemi on my next one. Scatpack or SRT? Choices!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow! That makes me feel better about my driving style. I always thought I was hard on my car. I average about 15.8-16.7 in the city. The worst I have seen on some of my ride alongs with the Sheriff's office is about 11.8-12.2 mpg. Of course we cruise a lot so considering that is a mix of city and highway, they are very hard on their cars.

I posted a picture online of gas prices at $3.33 with a comment that said "Gas is so cheap!". This of course was for 87. My friend commented on it about a month ago saying "It is hard to to look at this picture now and think of the struggle." :grin2: I paid $2.74 a gallon for 89 the other day and complained the entire time. Haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts