Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
friday night on our way to a bar, right as it started to rain. (if you live in so cal you know wat i mean) my buddy was driving his 04 silverado down artesia blvd in bellflower. we hit some dips at a high rate of speed and flew across 4 lanes of traffic and the center median only to go head on with a telephone pole. i almost went through the windshield and shattered my right arm. ironically enuff it happened literally rite in front of the bellflower medical center and i was rushed rite into their emergency room. my friend was arrested for dui and i was released from th hospital at 6am that morning but tomorrow i will be back in for god only knows how long to get surgery to piece back together my upper arm. as i sit here i am in agonizing pain and despite the 9 vicodins i have taken to day it does not get better. i say all this not for sympathy but to try n help others realize this **** is real. we r not invincible and i can only thank god no other vehicles were involved. it was our own stupidity and now we get to face our consequences. him with going to jail and all the upcoming court dates and lawyer fees and who knows wat else and me with my extensive injuries.

i beg all of you to not make the mistakes we made. do not drink and drive. it is no where near worth wat could happen. heres a pic of my forehead. the police said my forehead alone is wat shattered the windshield and i left an impression in the glass of my head. ill post pics of the truck after i go to the impound lot tomorrow.

please learn from my **** up. im lucky to be alive.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wow, I know that must have taken alot out of you, literally! But thanks for sharing your story and good luck with your surgery.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yea it took a lot from me. im drained. not to mention it took me over half an hour to write that post. thank you for ur support sjb261. im gonna be recovering from this for a while.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
A wake up call is only good if you wake up, which it looks like you have. Kudos on being big enough to own up to it.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
As someone who has lost 2 very good friends to drunk driving accidents, I can tell you that you are lucky to be alive today. You have something greater to accomplish in life. Use this accident as a wake up call...it happened for a reason. If the Creator did not have greater plans for you, we would not have had the opportunity to know about your accident...you would not be among us today. Heed the wake up call, and your life will forever be changed...mine is.

I wish you a speedy recovery, Slootdude...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Im glad you see the error of your ways and are encouraging others to learn from yours. Im glad to hear, within reason, you are okay. I wish you a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
I'm glad to hear you both survived, Best Wishes on your recoveries, not just the physical ones.

I think that some people don't realize that the whole "traction equation" changes drastically once water is introduced. What would normally be a fine bend in the road can suddenly become a potential accident. One little dip in the road, the tires break contact with the pavement and get on top of the water (hydroplaning), and it can very difficult to regain traction soon enough to stay on the road or maintain enough control to avoid an accident.

I once slid off a wet road in a Datsun 240 sedan, onto wet grass (NO traction at all!) and bounced off a tree. I was fine, but I nearly totaled my dad's car. $4k damage on an $8k car. Yep, lesson learned!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Tough way to learn a valuble lesson. I have worked for the countrys biggest beer maker for 28 years and back in the day we had beer taps in the lunch room. I have seen my share of co-workers get DUI's and the problems afterward. Drinking and driving never mix... good luck with your recovery and I hope your friend makes out O.K. also.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Why does it always take a Wake Up Call for someone to realize how lucky they were.

Why don’t individuals realize the consequences prior to the events happening. It always happens after the fact. Sounds like a lot of Hollywood stars, copout.

I am sorry to hear that you were injured and I hope you have a speedy recovery, but you are very lucky you did not end up killing yourself or someone else.

You knew prior to driving and getting in the vehicle that you had already been drinking prior to going to the bar. What stopped you from making that important decision of taking a taxi to the bar instead of driving. Is it really worth it, worst case scenario?

This is a very touchy subject to a lot of individuals, especially for those that have lost loved ones to a drunk driver or speeder.

I really do hope you have gotten your wake up call and do decide to think about what could happen -Always ask "What If "

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks to all of you for the support and even the slight criticism's. i expected to get that as well. my brother is a cop and when he heard wat happened trust me, i got an earful for a good 20 minutes. but its all stuff i need to hear. WAT IF i had killed a family? WAT IF i died? it all runs through my head. anyways im off to surgery most likely today so take care guys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Best of luck to you and your buddy. Don't like those Vikes too much.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good on you for being Man enough to accept responsibility for your own actions - a novel concept these days! Now, likes other have said, take action! I hope your friend is half the man you are!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Hope you have a speedy recovery and that this will be your final wake up call.
Glad to hear it was only a one vehicle accident, your lives could have easily been
ruined.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That sucks bro...I know where those dips are too...right by the hospital there and the DMV, right?

In any case, good message and get better.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts