Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well you've done it again to me...infected me with that moditis. I made it a couple of weeks, but today I gave in and now I have an appointment with a muffler shop on Thursday to Brylcreem my baby. I can't wait for her to roll off the lift and here her new sound. Shooting for pics, and hopefully sound by the end of the week. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Well you've done it again to me...infected me with that moditis. I made it a couple of weeks, but today I gave in and now I have an appointment with a muffler shop on Thursday to Brylcreem my baby. I can't wait for her to roll off the lift and here her new sound. Shooting for pics, and hopefully sound by the end of the week. :laugh:
Can someone explain this "Brylcreem" mod I hear about? I need to keep up to speed on the moditis definitions. Thanks.

Gary N

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's when you cut off the suitcase mufflers and replace it with straight pipes. Usually costs between $50-100.

Yeah what he said

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where does the term "Brylcreem" come from? I am approaching 50, but when I was a kid, Brylcreem was some crap you put in your hair.
I've never seen it explained, but my best guess is that since brylcreem is used to slick down or "straighten" hair and in the mod you take out the muffler and add "straight pipes" thus straightening the exhaust flow. That's where the name comes from??

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will set me straight?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've never seen it explained, but my best guess is that since brylcreem is used to slick down or "straighten" hair and in the mod you take out the muffler and add "straight pipes" thus straightening the exhaust flow. That's where the name comes from??

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will set me straight?!?!?!?!? :rolleyes:
the motto was "just a dab'll do ya" i believe, and that's the reference, a small amount of work/money gets a great sound

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got back from demufflering the Banana and all I can say is WHOLLY MOTHER OF G-D...WHY THE F DID I WAIT TO RIP THAT SUIT CASE OFF THAT CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is amazing the difference in the sound of my car it's turned from a purring kitty waiting to strike to a ferocious tiger waiting to leap. My G-D what a difference.

I was just like everyone else that you read about on the forum. They're hesistant to turn their baby over to a tech and rip out a piece of her. I was sh*tting bricks watching her go up on the rack just knowing they were going to take out that sawsall and cut her right down the middle.

The greatest thing was the tech that worked on her. The guy was a true artist who took pride in his work. It took him about an hour and a half from start to finish, most of the time spent bending and fitting the replacement pipes. He said it was going to take him longer, but he wanted to do it right. Now thats cool...a tech who cares about the car he's working on just as much as the owner.

Just to sum it up...if you have that suitcase on your car take it off it's incredible.

By the way after 1 1/2 of work the total bill came to $85.47. Now that's amazing.

***pics to come I just need to get them uploaded and if I can get it to work audio by the weekend***

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.K. I couldn't wait here are the pics:

Well, there they are.

Not to hi-jack my own thread, but how much of a dweeb am I. I took the suitcase home with me. I wasn't sure if it was reusable, if needed, worth anything, I'm sure that muffler must be very expensive from DCX. If none of the above I could always start a new trend and travel around with my suitcase and take pictures of it at national monuments or points of interest...just a thought.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Not to hi-jack my own thread, but how much of a dweeb am I. I took the suitcase home with me. I wasn't sure if it was reusable, if needed, worth anything, I'm sure that muffler must be very expensive from DCX. If none of the above I could always start a new trend and travel around with my suitcase and take pictures of it at national monuments or points of interest...just a thought.
I kept mine also, some sell their's here on the forums to R/T guys who want a little better sound and performance without to much cost. There is a difference between the Daytona Mufflers and R/T's.

·
Registered
702 Posts

No biggie...I kept mine too. I have always kept every part I've swapped out on my vehicles. It helps when/if you decide to sell and can say you have all the orgional parts.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Last night, I read the original post from 2006 about this mod. Listened to a bunch of audio clips as well. It just sounds too good to be true, but all reports, including this one, seem to support that it turns out well. No drone, not too loud, just brings out the"true" Hemi sound, like it should have been. I am so conflicted over this. It just does not seem right to rip out a sizeable piece of OEM exhaust, but...boy I am tempted!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
guys. seriously.
tehres about a million posts every day about brylcreem. is this the only part of the forum yall read?

go read up on the performance section for real ;) theres more info than you want to read there hehe

secondly. there will be NO DRONE with brylcreem mod.

its called that because the old hair product "brylcreem" had an ad slogan "just a dab 'l do ya" as in just a tiny mod to the exhaust does you great. cheap. cost me 80 bucks out the door at a meineke

i kept my suitcase too btw ;) sittin in my garage incase.

if you dont like it, jsut ahve em weld it back into place. its easy peasy lemon squeezy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last night, I read the original post from 2006 about this mod. Listened to a bunch of audio clips as well. It just sounds too good to be true, but all reports, including this one, seem to support that it turns out well. No drone, not too loud, just brings out the"true" Hemi sound, like it should have been. I am so conflicted over this. It just does not seem right to rip out a sizeable piece of OEM exhaust, but...boy I am tempted!

Black Bullet just take the plunge. Trust me I was sooo conflicted about doing it for about 3 or 4 weeks. Because you just never know and in my case their really aren't alot of Daytona owners in my area so no real "in person" experience with this mod just the audio clips on the forum. Not to mention I was sh*tting huge bricks during the whole experience yesterday. Man it was almost like turning over your first born to stranger.

The first proof that it was the right decision was when the tech revved her up when the mod was done and everyone in the shop and in the waiting room simultaniously turns to look at what that sweet sound is, then rushes out onto the shop floor to look. Now that is amazing.

Not a better feeling than having the hottest car in the shop and then having that sweet sweet sound eminating from her and the topper is having everyone crowd around to take a look, ask questions and then have them say how sweet a ride you have.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Not to hi-jack my own thread, but how much of a dweeb am I. I took the suitcase home with me.

Same here. It was more along the lines of "if DCX ever gives me a hassle over the muffler removal" or if I wanted to sell the car, the muffler would be there. I guess not everyone likes loud exhausts.

It will mellow out over time to the point where you'd swear it was the factory exhaust that should have come with the car... the "oh dear, this might be a bit much" feeling only lasted 3-4 days and nowadays people tend to think the car came from the factory sounding this way. Lately I've been eye'ing some of those blastin bobs resonator+tip kits to do away with the factory resonators. :)
(but I refuse to do anything that will exceed the drone threshold, since I usually have to transport at least one kid back there)

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Not a better feeling than having the hottest car in the shop and then having that sweet sweet sound eminating from her and the topper is having everyone crowd around to take a look, ask questions and then have them say how sweet a ride you have.

LOL! Yep, same situation here. We fired it up while still on the lift and it got a LOT of attention. The 40-50 feet I drove in the parking lot when moving it out of the bay (to park it before going into the office to settle the bill) was awesome, it sounded so ready-to-explode. :)

As I said, with some time and mileage, the piping will get a nice carbon coating on it and the tone/volume will change slightly. The only caveat for northern climates is that on a really frozen morning, the MDS growl can get REALLY loud. Not painfully droning loud, but it'll really sound like a GM 2.8 or 3.1 liter V6 with a bad muffler. :) By cold, I'm talking 0 F or colder. But if my wife hasn't complained then it must be manageable.

That stuff about "true hemi sound" is kind of funny, I guess the "true" sound of any engine would be with no exhaust piping at all! LOL! Any piping will shape or attenuate the sound. I prefer to describe this mod as "the Daytona exhaust tone with the volume turned up to 11". That's why the change wasn't as dramatic for me as for the owner of a non-R&T Hemi. Likewise, R&T owners will still experience a big change, but relatively speaking the Daytonas see the least amount of change after this mod.

So for a non R&T Hemi owner... WOW! I can imagine the sheer mind-blowing change that this will be! I imagine (after hearing a non-R&T exhaust yesterday morning) that it will be like buying a brand new musclecar.

If you're an enthusiast driver who likes a muscular exhaust note with a nice bark to it, this is your mod, what are you waiting for? :) If you prefer a more refined "round" mellow sound, look for Magnaflow or similar because they tend to attenuate the higher frequencies which contribute to the raspiness of the Hemi's exhaust path.

Have someone start your car while you listen closely at your exhaust pipes. You will probably hear a sort of muted "huffle fluffle" sound as the engine drops to idle after the initial surge at startup. On a Daytona this is very prominent. With this mod, it can sometimes be confused with a rattle. It's the tradeoff of having no muffling element left in the exhaust path after this mod. But hey, some cars (Mustangs?) actually go for this kind of sound straight from the factory, so chances are it won't be considered annoying.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Beware of the Brylcreem rattle!!! J/K Even though my resonators went bad after doing the brylcreem mod, it seems like not too many are having the same problem. I really liked the sound of the brlycreem exhaust. If my resonators hadn't gone bad, I would still have it. If you are on the fence about getting this done, DO IT! It will be the best $75 you have spent on the car. And if your resos do go bad, well then, that is just an excuse to go buy a catback!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beware of the Brylcreem rattle!!! J/K Even though my resonators went bad after doing the brylcreem mod, it seems like not too many are having the same problem. I really liked the sound of the brlycreem exhaust. If my resonators hadn't gone bad, I would still have it. If you are on the fence about getting this done, DO IT! It will be the best $75 you have spent on the car. And if your resos do go bad, well then, that is just an excuse to go buy a catback!

Damn right...The first question the tech asked before he started cutting was why not do a cat-back? and I said why spend the money on something I don't need and don't want. Heck if the resos go out it just makes the decision to go with a cat-back just that much easier. No hesitation because now I "NEED" it and not just want it.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
If my resos go out, I'll just replace 'em with blastin bob tips and glasspacks to soak up some drone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts