Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at the mag store today and saw the Car & Dumbass magazine today where they compared the R/T Charger , Mustang and Gto in a one mile race. The gto won hands down and the mustang came in second. Thats all fine with me. I realize the mustang is lighter and was tuned to speed. The gto is also made to zip around as well and is also lighter in weight so that I also understand. My gripe isnt which is faster and they do mention that the cahrger is real fast and in the long run is faster then the mustang and the gto.

My problem lies in the way the Tester explains how No one and I mean he said No one looks at the cahrger and that its exterior is not appealing at all. He does say that the chargers interior is better then both of the other 2.

The only reason they did the test is becuase the charger has a hemi with more horsepower then those 2 but why would you compare a 2 door sports car such as the mustanfg and the gto with a new 4 door sedan luxory sports car. Its obvious that my charger is a luxory slash muscle car and not the other way around. They should let there readers know how pontiacs stink 1 year later and feel like they are falling apart. He also goes to mention that the brakes on all 3 are exactly the same and I beg to differ since I own a charger and have driven the others and the chargers is the best hands down.

They also mentioned that the charger drives the best out of all 3 except that the gto handle windy roads very nicely.

While they didnt bash the charger completly they made apoint that its slower then the other 2 but did say for a car thats 4000 lbs its extremely fast and the other point that its ugly compared to the other 2. The charger is equally impressive in looks as the mustang which has a nice design but no way in hell is the gto better looking then either of those 2.

The point to this thread is why are they comparing a the charger to these other 2 race cars. The charger is a little different this time around.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
GTO= UGLY as a Cavalier on `roids! :lol:

RUSTANG= Hey, its a "F.O.R.D" aka "From Old Rusty Dodge" :grin:

CHARGER= POWER,LUXURY, STYLE! :wink:

·
Registered
600 Posts
badkolo said:
I was at the mag store today and saw the Car & Dumbass magazine today where they compared the R/T Charger , Mustang and Gto in a one mile race. The gto won hands down and the mustang came in second. Thats all fine with me. I realize the mustang is lighter and was tuned to speed. The gto is also made to zip around as well and is also lighter in weight so that I also understand. My gripe isnt which is faster and they do mention that the cahrger is real fast and in the long run is faster then the mustang and the gto.

My problem lies in the way the Tester explains how No one and I mean he said No one looks at the cahrger and that its exterior is not appealing at all. He does say that the chargers interior is better then both of the other 2.

The only reason they did the test is becuase the charger has a hemi with more horsepower then those 2 but why would you compare a 2 door sports car such as the mustanfg and the gto with a new 4 door sedan luxory sports car. Its obvious that my charger is a luxory slash muscle car and not the other way around. They should let there readers know how pontiacs stink 1 year later and feel like they are falling apart. He also goes to mention that the brakes on all 3 are exactly the same and I beg to differ since I own a charger and have driven the others and the chargers is the best hands down.

They also mentioned that the charger drives the best out of all 3 except that the gto handle windy roads very nicely.

While they didnt bash the charger completly they made apoint that its slower then the other 2 but did say for a car thats 4000 lbs its extremely fast and the other point that its ugly compared to the other 2. The charger is equally impressive in looks as the mustang which has a nice design but no way in hell is the gto better looking then either of those 2.

The point to this thread is why are they comparing a the charger to these other 2 race cars. The charger is a little different this time around.
we've had this convo lol

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The GTO is a 2 door Grand Am with a big engine, plain and simple.

I'm not saying that's bad, it's just the way it is. :errf:

·
Registered
604 Posts
the gto is an awesome car, theres no doubt about that. they look great this year, too, even though people think all muscle cars are supposed to be like ford and look retro. if the gto had been offered with suicide doors like the rx-8, and better gas mileage, i would have been all over that.

·
Registered
352 Posts
doesnt really mater if you run them in there stock nhra classes the charger will win cause it runs closest to its class index . those other 2 have to give big head start to the charger.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Re: I'm Angry. Car & Driver Mag are NUTS!!

I test drove a GTO before I ordered my Charger. This was when GM was doing the employee pricing so it was about 4 grand less than the charger.
There is no doubt it is fast. I owned a magnum RT at the time of the test drive which I traded a 2002 Z28 in on.
The big knocks on the GTO is the shifter is as crappy as the last F-body. (interesting point, the biggest improvement on the 2002 Z28 I did was to replace the shifter. But what was amazing is how much louder the interior got after the swap. The Tremic trans transfers a lot of sound through the shifter. This is why the GTO shifter is so soft. It has a lot of vibration dampening.)
The pedals are to close together as well.
Although the back seats are more comfortable than the F-body, they are harder to get to.
The number one reason I did not get a GTO, "the trunk". I don't even know why they bother. Imagine a caviler size trunk. Then put an 18 gallon gas tank in it. There?s your trunk. You can?t get one suitcase in it. I guess you don?t have to wary if your luggage is too big for carry-on, if it fits in the trunk it will fit in the overhead compartment.

It is Fast. If that is more important to you, the GTO is you car. It also has a LSD, great for the fun factor.
It?s easy to scare the sh*t out of the sales guy. 1st 2nd and hit third hard on the on-ramp and he was white knuckled.
was white knuckled.
________
redhead girl Cams

·
Registered
23 Posts
The charger is better compared to the other performance sedans:Volvo, BMW, SAAB, Infinity, so on ......If you like plan looks and High qualilty only, we must admit the quality of the Japan cars is very good, then by an Infinity an look like everything else on the road. But if you would like some style ..some tough style buy a Charger and save 10-15k.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Charger is hands down the coolest looking four door car on the road.
It has class, muscle and styling what else do they want. I get more attention
in my car than the Yellow Z-06 I had. Mine is black RT with black 22'z and lowered.
I have poeple breaking their necks looking at it. It is crazy but it's cool I enjoy knowing I have something that really stands out from the other ordinary cars.
The 300 doesn't even come close, that's what I had before a 300C on 22'z no one
gave me props like I get now.

Good luck to everyone buying a Charger RT you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't understand why they don't compare it to the Impala SS? Or the Monte SS? It seems to me that they are closer to each other than the Mustang and Goat?...Oh and I might say, I drove the 06 Impala SS. What a piece of crap that is.....The Charger has it all over that stove.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
from a nascar standpoint it should be compared to the ford tauras and chevy monte carlo and when the piece of crap fusion(6 cylinder, no 8's) comes out next year.... and honestly in that class there is no comparison....monte is going with v8 next year finally but it is a front wheel drive(what is gm thinking) and the ford...well the fusion looks like crap to me and with no v8 offered i am wondering what they are thinking also....all dodge needs to do is come out with a new challanger (like the prototype pics) and the mustang will have its competition.

in my opinion from being next to mustangs....they have the bottom end but after 15mph they can't touch the charger so rollup and race 'em and you should win everytime...lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
yarbie said:
The Charger is hands down the coolest looking four door car on the road.
It has class, muscle and styling what else do they want. I get more attention
in my car than the Yellow Z-06 I had. Mine is black RT with black 22'z and lowered.
I have poeple breaking their necks looking at it. It is crazy but it's cool I enjoy knowing I have something that really stands out from the other ordinary cars.
The 300 doesn't even come close, that's what I had before a 300C on 22'z no one
gave me props like I get now.

Good luck to everyone buying a Charger RT you won't be dissapointed.
I don't know all about that what you said and disagree also about the 300 what you commented on that,but I do know I get alot of compliments and looks on my 300c srt-8,more than my brothers charger,however I'm still waiting to see the charger srt-8 before I really can tell. :happy:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm sorry you can compare apples and oranges. The GTO and mustang are sport cars, the Charger is a sports sedan. Two different catagories, they just put it in the articles because it has 350 ponies. I personally do not car that a GTO is faster (Charger has more options and usability) or that the Mustang "looks better" (try putting a family of 4 in a Mustang).

To each their own. And who says the Charger is ugly... I haven't meet anyone yet that said my car is ugly. In fact numerous people have pulled in my parking lot to look at it, and today at the pump some guy came up and commented on the car. And everyone at work loves the car, and wants to drive it (yeah right).

edward

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Re: I'm Angry. Car & Driver Mag are NUTS!!

Here is a quote from the MPH article that states the obvious.
The Charger is just out of its league against the Mustang and GTO. Even with four doors, it?s a fitting tribute to the two-door sedan that previously bore the name, but it?s too refined to pass itself off as an American-style sports car. It is undoubtedly the most complete automobile here, but it gets its ass handed to it by the GTO and Mustang, or at least it will until the Charger SRT-8 shows up.
________
Hyde Park Residence 2

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have had 2 of the 3 cars in teh shootout, i traded in my mustang for more room. period, the mustang ran a [email protected] bone stock, it was alot quicker than the charger, hands down. the charger however has much more room, and thats what i bought it for, i wanted a v8, rwd, and 4 doors, nothing touches the charger in when performance and useable space are concerned, the mustang out acclerated, out stopped, out handled, and had more comfortable and better looking front seats, but we are talking about 2 different types of cars here, and each has its strong points and weak points, i LOVED my mustang, and i LOVE my charger, both are very well built cars, and both ford and dcx hit the mark when they brought them to market.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it is so funny that in all the forums, you hear how ugly, fugly, and butt ugly the charger is, but when you own one all you hear is wow, sweet, and the turning of peoples heads to get a look. I get thumbs up, smiles, waves, and head nods from all kinds of people. Did I order a different car than the ones they are describing??? :confused: Maybe they look with narrow minded vision. Almost forgot, I have yet to hear any negative reviews on the looks of my charger in the over two weeks I have owned it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts