Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why but it is much cooler to have the ignition key plug into the dash than into the steering column. I think this is the first car I ever owned that had this. The Hemi is ok, and the "hovercraft" like ride is nice too, but I really like the ignition key being in the dash the most. :happy:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the antique car ignition switch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Been taking me a bit to get used to, but I also like the placement on the dash. With it positioned on the dash the way it is my other keys don't seem to hang down onto my right leg quite as much as other vehicles I've driven. Definitely a plus :happy:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yep, the dash is where God intended the ignition switch to be. I have no idea how it got moved to the steering column, but I'm glad it's back where it belongs.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Dutch said:
Yep, the dash is where God intended the ignition switch to be. I have no idea how it got moved to the steering column, but I'm glad it's back where it belongs.
It probably got moved when most cars changed to column shifters and it was easier/cheaper to make the ignition switch also lock the steering wheel and shifter. With all of the cheap technology these days, electronics and motorized relays can lock them just as well so they key can go anywhere.

·
Registered
145 Posts
good point on the steering wheel lock, but did you notice that your new charger does not have a steering wheel lock? you can turn the wheels with no key in the ignition whatsoever!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
littleJohnnyfromNJ said:
good point on the steering wheel lock, but did you notice that your new charger does not have a steering wheel lock? you can turn the wheels with no key in the ignition whatsoever!
Your horn doesn't work without a key in the ignition either.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wish they would put those cranks on the door. You know where you could skin your knuckles opening the windows!

j/k I love the key on the dash too!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
FYI the ignition in the dash is a anti theft device, its harder to steal because they dont have to break the steering collum!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
RipLoco said:
FYI the ignition in the dash is a anti theft device, its harder to steal because they dont have to break the steering collum!!!!!!!
Great point.

Didn't even think of that.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I love the in dash ignition key. IT's not seen very often. While we're on the topic of keys. I recently picked up my car, order from Cars direct.com. The dealer gave me 3 keys. He said 3 came for me.
Did anyone else get numerous keys as well.
I may be reading too much into this but could all these keys be a sign that these keys may have issues? Like going dead early or very fragile?
Just curious

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmmm, thats odd. anyone else got three keys?

Another thing, the dash switch makes not bit of difference, they can rewire the whole damn dashboard for hours and still not steal it. and you dont need to lock the column, if you cant start the motor, being able to steer means nothing. And if your dragging it onto a flatbed, turning the wheel is a nice, but NOT neeeded thing.

You could leave all the wiring on the seat and they STILL couldnt do it:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is what I don't understand...why have a key at all? The car won't run without the fob in the key, correct? So why not just make it a push button ignition that will only work if the fob is nearby? Could this be a possible easy mod? Remove the ignition with key, and add a push-button?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I'm not sure. the antenna wraps around the keyhole, and its range is not great. Experimenting with a non SKIM key and getting it wrong three times would require a trip to the dealer, since three false key tries locks out the whole damn system.

·
Registered
299 Posts
lestat-de-leon said:
Here is what I don't understand...why have a key at all? The car won't run without the fob in the key, correct? So why not just make it a push button ignition that will only work if the fob is nearby? Could this be a possible easy mod? Remove the ignition with key, and add a push-button?

see your using common sense not economical sense. every car company could build an ignition system that is theft proof but if they did they did that then the ignition repairs and parts costs where dealers make a lot of money would go away so that will never happen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts