Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 07 charger 3.5l with police package from a ca. Auction. It has170k. Really cool car. It regularly idles at 600rpm. Recently the battery light came on I tested it with a multi meter, battery12v car running 14v. Sometimes when I start the car it idles at 1100 rpm and won't come down until I put it in drive then the rpm's are normal. When I put the car in neutral or park the rpm's go back to 1100. I don't know if the idel issue is related to the battery light? It has a giant battery may be a deep cycle. If anyone has ideas please share. Thank you for your time. Fred

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The car normally does a high idle cycle on starting (even when warm) but it comes back down on it's own. With a cold engine on cold days it may take several minutes for the idle to come down.

Was the battery light you are talking about look something like this?
)Z( with a lightning bolt in the middle? If so, that's actually the Throttle body light and may be the root of your issue.

If the TB is dirty, sticking or failing, then it would cause the continuous high idle you are describing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ddaddy.
The car idle doesn't come back down even after I drive for five miles and the car is completely warm. When driving the cars rpm's are normal, when I stop and take the car out of gear the rpm's go back up to 1100. The battery light on the dash look exactly like a battery complete with + & -. It's not the light with the lightning bolt.

Thank you for your time and knowledge it's appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I start the car it does the initial high idle then the rpm's start dropping and gradually goes down to 1100 but it stays there , even after I let it run for 10 min and it gets to operating temperature.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
You still may have a TB issue. My first suggestion if to clean it thoroughly and check for freedom of movement. It may be hanging up after the initial high-idle position and not be able to close down to the normal idle position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hooked the car to a computer and the field generator has a problem. I did a wiggle test which engaged the alternator and the rpm's went back to normal. The wire that had a short was the lower wires connected to the alternator which run to the wire loom. I'm now trying to find the generator pigtail so I can splice it. I'm trying to get the part but I don't know what the part is called and the auto parts stores and the dealer say the part is anywhere from 50-100$. Seems like a pretty high price for a connecter and a couple wires? If anyone has input about the part name and number and where to get it cheap would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts