Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"i would never buy a... (insert OEM here)."

This is something i hear more and more, usually involving one of the Big Three. It always bothers me because typically there is nothing to back it up besides "because they make crap".

Currently Im on the Chrysler bandwagon and i hope they can turn things around. But i have driven Ford and GM and wouldn't have any problem going back.

Is there an OEM you would never buy from?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
FORD, had 3 of them previously, and had many problems with all 3.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I will never buy anything made by GM again.

I've had more of them than I can count and had problems with them all. Big problems. The last was a 2001 Silverado. It went up in flames with 600 miles on it and it took me 6 months to get ANYTHING for compensation from GM.

I bought my '01 Ram a week after the GM went up in flames, had it 3 years with NO problems. I'll stick with MOPAR from here on out.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'd never buy a nissan. Every time I go car shopping there stuff
always seems cheap and/or butt ugly.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I would never buy a Dodge. Really. I said that for my whole life until I sat in a Nanner Daytona at a local new car show. Just based on sitting in that car (I never even drove it), I ordered a TorRed Daytona. I love my Daytona and plan on keeping it for a long, long time. I guess the moral of the story is, never say never.

·
Registered
467 Posts
current durango or jeep gc. shocking that i actually bought a dodge product due to the massive amount of plastic in those suvs.
i wouldn't buy kia either but hyundais like the sonata are pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Every car and motorcycle company that I know of makes at least one mode of transport that I would be willing to purchase. This is of course if I find myself financially able to raise my standards, or lower them if the need presents itself.
Never say never.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Toyota...i'll never sell america out.
Ford...i actually want to drive my car, not watch it in the shop
GM...I actually want an attractive looking car.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
I'll never buy anything made by Chrysler again, and didn't for over 20 years. PC Daytona sucked me back in, LOL

I'm in a position where I see the industries TGW data, and it's amazing to look not only at the OEM's data and trend, but how individual cars within one company can do very well or really bad. One of the highest quality cars on the road today is the Fusion. But, it's still not a Daytona, LOL

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've got 2 Fords, a 2003 Marauder and a 2007 Mustang. The build quality is not as good as my Daytona, and the overall ride and handling is not as good, but I've owned several Fords and none of them ever gave me any mechanical trouble. Remember DCX's massive transmission failures of a decade ago before you trounce the other guys too much.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I find the entire auto industry exciting with the way technology has advanced every aspect of it. I guess my biggest issue is the feminizing of the auto industry by the Japanese Auto makers. Everything from the dainty curves of the Lexus/Toyotas to the fat bottomed Nissan van. Seems like a bunch of estrogen charged people designed them.

None of those vehicles give a masculine appearence at all and certainly dont look menecing. That goes for the 350z, sti, evo rx8, they look like safe design lego crap made by mom for the children. For taller (and fatter like me) individuals most imports (reasonably affordable) fall short in overall comfort. The auto industry got a big shot with the release of the 300C and the Charger.

Not since the Marauder or the Impala SS have I gotten excited about a real vehicle.

Soooooooo.....I will definitely never buy a Toyota..but I will test drive anything!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I have to add "Ford" to the list.
Throughout my whole automotive life, I never ever ever ever played a brand fanboy. Import, domestic, you name it, if there was something interesting about it, I liked it. Until... I owned 2 Fords in a row. Actually, I got owned by 2 Fords in a row. Biggest piles of crap I ever experienced, my first experiences with this company and back to back they were horrendous.

From the moment I laid eyes on the diagrams in the OEM wiring schematic book I paid good money for... I knew right then and there that there was a reason why my dad warned me when I showed up at his doorstep to show off my first Marauder. In many cases, I laughed out loud at how certain circuits were wired to practically work "by luck" (ie. which side of the circuit yells loudest wins, so to speak).

From the moment I got the car home and peeked underneath the "showroom fresh" new car and saw the amount of rust that a car with 25 miles on it could develop over the short lifespan.... from the moment it stranded me 200 miles from home with a shorted PCM due to an assembly screwup.... from the moment I heard the squeaking front seat, the creaking hood latch, the ticking driver's side head and the totally F'ed up valve guides that it represented... the smoke at startup... the rust stains on my driveway from the exhaust system and the rotor assemblies... the failing parts, the accelerated corrosion....... man, how can any company be allowed to sell crap like this? A beautiful car raped of its potential by a horrible unscrupulous automaker.

And that's just the cars... consider the service. I had to troubleshoot everything myself, the only decent Ford tech around here quit the business altogether (and I don't blame him) and it seemed like every other monkey was some young dim-wit or old crusty crank with an attitude. And my dealer (which I patiently supported through all this) even tried to screw me out of $3000 at one point by pulling a fast one.

I guess corruption oozes from the very top all the way to the lowest levels...

Couple that with the horror stories I hear from Ford-owning coworkers... I've made up my mind and become a "hater", I'm sad to admit. Have you ever known a car company to be involved with so many fire-related issues??????

GM screwed me out of one important warranty issue with my 1998 WS6. That's why I'll never buy another GM product again. Not so much for the fact of "losing" all my warranty info during a dealership transfer, not so much for the BS of waiting for my warranty to be up before "discovering" the root problem, but for the holier-than-thou attitude of the regional warranty rep, lumping me in with the rest of the lead-foot F-body owners when it was clear I treated that car with care and respect. The only other GM product I ever will consider adding to my stable will have been built in the year 1969 (to complete my collection one day) but they will never see a dollar of my new-car buying money ever again. Sucks to be them.

Chrysler came close about a month ago... I could have ended up with a second Charger but a crusty old service dude at one dealership gave me lip about that cracked vacuum hose I noticed on my intake when I was swapping out the plugs, saying I must have done it myself. Of course he wasn't man enough to step up to the plate when I offered to put us on a 3 party conference call with my usual dealer so we could discuss the issue, seeing as how they were the only ones to ever touch my car (I hadn't even seen the actual engine itself until that time, LOL!). Another service dude did take care of that hose, replaced it on warranty, said he'd seen a bunch like this. Nice guy. The damage was done, though... the second Charger (for my wife) ended up being a nice 2003 Civic and it's enough car for her. Too bad about the attitude, old service dude. It's not over for Chrysler and myself, though, if things stay on the right track I can easily see another Daytona in my household some years down the line. Time (and experience) will tell.

So Chrysler's the only "domestic" still on my list of potential new car purchases so far. Honda still holds a special place for me, even though I acknowledge their quality has taken a sharp downturn since the early 2000s (up here you pay a premium for Japanese-built Civics of the late 90s, and now I know why! :) ). If they ever try to screw with me I have no problem with putting them on my black list, but so far this is my 6th Honda product (all Civics with one nice Integra GS in there) and in all cases except for one unscrupulous dealer, I've been spoiled by dealer service and by the cars' reliability and headache free operation. (actually, Acura dealers tend to think owners like to pay extra for no reason, so I'm probably not going to consider Acura products unless I'd have to... Honda is fine with me).

Toyotas bore me to death. But even though a few models have some weak points, I never hear any coworkers complain of being given a rough time when these problems happen to them.

I had lunch with my ex-boss today, hadn't talked to him in ages. He's extremely unsatisfied with his new Volvo S40. All I could say was "serves you right for buying a Ford!".

I won't touch Mazda for that same reason... too many coworkers and F-body club members with horror stories with Mazda products.

*sigh* Life's experiences makes one jaded... :(

Edit: don't hate me for my poor Ford experiences, Torred-0622... I really wish things had been different for me, really I do. I loved those cars (had two of them simultaneously) but I couldn't handle the nature and frequency of breakdowns, and the evil attitude of the company towards its humble customers.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
3TA,

I loved my two Bronco's, except for that cracking B'Pillar issue they couldn't seem to fix. Sold my last one with 197k and actually still regret letting it go. Then I got a EB Explorer, biggest POC I've ever owned. Stripped down Focus has needed one, ONE thing repaired. 38k SUV ate tires worse then a SRT on steroids ever will. I couldn't wait for the lease to be over and actually turned it in a few weeks early. Drove the Focus for about a year, and we needed to add a third car to the stable, this time is was going to be all about me, LOL. Ford is all about fiefdoms, which is why they can have such a huge range in quality.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Ford, bad exp
GM= icky
Dodge= some bad years, some great currently would never look back
Import sorry no interest

·
Registered
708 Posts
KIA and BMW. Not too hip on Nissan or Toyota - I've always liked my rice in the Honda flavor. Guess I'd have to throw VW in with the Beemers as well - Tree-huggin Liberales drive veedubs til they can turn in enough aluminum cans and plastic bottles to save up for a beemer - at least here in the Okkupied Republik of Kalifornia.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
honda. I work on too damn many a week . I think the design is bs, the engineering is quality of a third grade art class.
chevy =i hate to work on also. Same things can be done on dodges and fords in an hour that take 3 hours on a chevy.
pontiac= dont know of one that can keep coolant in the engine and quit spilling it all over the earth

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
For my own daily driver, I will NEVER ever ever buy an import. I dont care if its made here. Ford, Dodge, or Chevy only, in that order. I diid buy my wife a Hyundai 2 years ago when she totalled her car, but we were strapped for cash and needed a car THAT day that she felt safe in, and with like 12 airbags she felt safe. However we traded it for a Fusion 6 months ago. Matter of fact, until I sat in a TB Daytona 15 months ago, Ford was the ONLY brand I would buy, and had been for the last 15 years.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
TTA, I remember you talking about your Marauder experiences. Maybe one thing that has saved me is that I bought an absolutely pristine '03 last winter, and I've only put about 500 miles on it since then. I looked for that car for 2 years (silver birch with light flint interior), so I tend to baby it (except when I feel the urge to see how well the 4.10 gears work). Ford needs to take a very serious look at the employees that work at their dealerships.

I've got my sights set on an '09 Challenger. I'm really hoping that Cerberus will keep the quality up, since I've had zero problems with my Charger.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Tree-huggin Liberales drive veedubs til they can turn in enough aluminum cans and plastic bottles to save up for a beemer
Up here, VWs have a horrible reputation when it comes to mechanical reliability. Nonetheless, I guess it must be pricing and/or marketing that makes them seem to be everywhere in my neighbourhood. Seriously, if I don't see 15-20 of them every morning on my 5 minute trek down to the highway, I must be busy fiddling with my radio or something.

One thing for sure: I think all those 'Drivers Wanted' ads have brainwashed owners into thinking they are world-class rally drivers because 90% of the stupidities I see on the roads up here that aren't executed by Mustang owners are done by VW drivers. Or perhaps the ad campaign simply attracted the over-testosteroned male market segment? No idea, but my wife has noticed the same thing.

(no offense intended to Mustang owners here... the above comment was simply a reflection on the local mustang crowd up here, I'm sure F-body owners might be just as apt to be dorks on the road anywhere else except that there are hardly any up here to be found to begin with!)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts