Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing the stock R/T exhaust system with something a bit more aggressive, but not loud. My two main requirements are (1) the system must be all stainless steel; and (2) it must have resonators. I've narrowed the field down to Magnaflow or Borla. I would appreciate it if you Magnaglow or Borla owners would let me know how what you like or dislike about your exhaust system.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I just put the Magnaflows on mine and the tone is much better. I had removed my resonators from the stock exhaust which made it louder than the Magnaflows and also had much more drone.

It's all stainless and has resonators.

My only complaints are the clamps that have to point mostly down to tighten. The reason this bothers me is if the car bottoms out these clamps sticking down about 1 inch will surely catch.

I may get my exhaust guy to weld some of the joints leaving only the clamps necessary to remove the exhaust.

Otherwise, it sounds GREAT and is not obnoxious.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Re: I would like to hear from anybody that has a Magnaflow or Borla system on their R/T.

I just got my magnaflow put in this past weekend. The result is not as loud as a flowmaster, but it more throaty and deep (which is what I was hopnig for). I couldnt be happier with it... My only complaint is with the installation. The guy didnt tighten something enough and it clangs when I hit some bumps..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re: I would like to hear from anybody that has a Magnaflow or Borla system on their R/T.

buy the magnaflow, perfect for husband and wife. the thing sounds awesome and i did the installation myself. tips are awesome and the accuseal clamps work great. you cant see any of the clamps from viewing the car.

·
Registered
743 Posts
DutchMaster said:
My only complaint is with the installation. The guy didnt tighten something enough and it clangs when I hit some bumps..
Just after the muffler there is a bolted on crossbar that the exhaust pipes go over and are VERY close to. It might be what is making that noise.

We thought it would on mine but the system has settled with about 1/4" of space there now.
Loosening the clamps around that section, repositioning the pipes and retightening the clamps may do the trick.

·
Registered
263 Posts

I have a question....please keep this in mind when you read it, I have about a sixth grade education when it comes to engine mods, lol

I just bought the Charger RT with the road and track package on it, so it has, from what I understand, an upgraded exhaust from the regular RT's. I would also like to get a more "rumbling" sounding exhaust; such as a Flow Master or Borla...but wanted to bounce this off of the more experienced mod folks here first.

Am I wasting my money doing the upgrade? Or will there be a noticable performance/ sound difference?

Thanks...

·
Registered
743 Posts
dagummit said:
I just bought the Charger RT with the road and track package on it, so it has, from what I understand, an upgraded exhaust from the regular RT's.

Am I wasting my money doing the upgrade? Or will there be a noticable performance/ sound difference?
My brother just got the R/T with performance group and My Magnaflows sound better.
His exhaust does sound better than my original R/T (no perf.) but the Magnaflows have a totally different sound, slightly louder.

·
Registered
382 Posts
jmorrell said:
I'm thinking of replacing the stock R/T exhaust system with something a bit more aggressive, but not loud. My two main requirements are (1) the system must be all stainless steel; and (2) it must have resonators. I've narrowed the field down to Magnaflow or Borla. I would appreciate it if you Magnaglow or Borla owners would let me know how what you like or dislike about your exhaust system.
FYI: The Borla 112s have resonators, the 125s do not. Also, many people have reported that the aftermarket cat-back system you can buy from Mopar is just a rebadged Borla 112 system. I'm not sure if anyone here has 112s installed yet.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I installed The Magnafllw on my car as well. I had same clunk when going over bumps. Exhaust was banging against crossmember. I put the car on ramps, loosened exhaust clamps and crammed a couple of books between exhaust and crossmember, tightened exhaust back up (removed books) and have about 3/4" clearance and no more clunks. I love the look, sound, and feel of the new exhaust...and the price was right-$630 shipped from Highhorse performance who are a site sponsor over at lxforums.com. (and I'm not affiliated w/ them...just a satisfied customer)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

BSUfanatic said:
I had same clunk when going over bumps. Exhaust was banging against crossmember.
the guy who installed it also installed a flowmaster on HIS Magnum R/T, so he was aware of the clearance issue beforehand. What he did was bend (ever so slightly) the crossmember to provide some clearance.. I guess it was not enough.. I will have someone re-position it tho, since I am a drunken monkey when it comes to this stuff.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I just had Magnaflow Catback system installed today, and also installed Mopar CAI last week. I'm very pleased with the Magnaflows, they are not too much, but just the perfect ammount of deep growl the car needs when you are driving, but not too over the top to get over noticed. I also had that little bit of clinking on the crossmember, but put it back on the lift, and my the service guy retightened, and there's about 3/4 of an inch clearance from the crossmembe now. I've tested it over bumps, and it's very solid now. The system looks and sound awesome. I'd highly recommend it. :happy:

jweland
2006 Charger R/T with Road & Track Perf. Group
Brilliant Black Crystal
Mopar CAI
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust System
Whooohoo!!

·
Registered
263 Posts

jweland said:
I just had Magnaflow Catback system installed today, and also installed Mopar CAI last week. I'm very pleased with the Magnaflows, they are not too much, but just the perfect ammount of deep growl the car needs when you are driving, but not too over the top to get over noticed. I also had that little bit of clinking on the crossmember, but put it back on the lift, and my the service guy retightened, and there's about 3/4 of an inch clearance from the crossmembe now. I've tested it over bumps, and it's very solid now. The system looks and sound awesome. I'd highly recommend it. :happy:
Notice any performance gain? The reason I ask is that some guys over at the lxforum are stating that CAI's and hi-perf exhausts aren't doing anything on dyno's. They have the specs, but...well...just thought I'd ask a owner...

thx

·
Registered
156 Posts

Well, it's difficult to say at this point. I just got back from running errands, and it seems to be performing a little quicker in my opinion. However, I won't know for sure until I have it dyno'd. I'm optimistic I probably got at least 12-15 more horses from both, but with the weight of the car, it would be difficult to notice the difference when driving. From reading various articles and talking to several mechanics, the general consensus is that when you add more efficient breathing(intake and exhaust) to your engine, you are going to get more horses out of your engine. I live in AZ, and it's still pretty hot here so, I probably won't notice all the benefits until it cools down a bit. What I do know for sure, is it's fast, it sounds awesome, and I get looks everywhere I go from the look of the car, to the sound of the exhaust. Everyone that sees it loves it. Going back to exhaust, it's really personal prefference I think. Borla and Magnaflow are both great. Borla w/out resonators is louder, but Magnaflow sounds bad a$$ too. Hope I helped.

Jweland
Brilliant Black Crystal
Mopar CAI
Whooohoo!!

·
Registered
156 Posts

Dagummit,
I just ready one of your questions late and wanted to answer directly that the difference between the regular R/T exhaust, and the Road and Track one, is only a little different. The Magnaflow, or Borla, makes a big difference and sound a lot better. :) It is worth the money to buy an aftermarket even if you have the road&track perf option.

jweland
Brilliant Black Crystal
Mopar CAI
Whooohoo!!

·
Registered
263 Posts

jweland said:
Dagummit,
I just ready one of your questions late and wanted to answer directly that the difference between the regular R/T exhaust, and the Road and Track one, is only a little different. The Magnaflow, or Borla, makes a big difference and sound a lot better. :) It is worth the money to buy an aftermarket even if you have the road&track perf option.
Cool, thanks! I guess the headers are the next "semi-cheap" mod to do for any significant gain (compared in price to a s/c)...someone needs to come out with a programmer crack...

·
Registered
38 Posts

If you are not necessarily looking for huge performance gains and just want a little deeper tone and grumble to the exhaust, don't spend a lot of money on a cat-back system, unless you are planning on future options such as headers and/or high flow CATs. The exhaust systems on the R/T whether it has the Road and Track option or not are pretty well designed and tuned. I calculated the flow rates and pressure differentials between the 2.25" pipes and the 2.5" that the Cat-Back systems come with and it's not that much different. The resonators in the rear are open and don't cause much of a bottleneck. The bottleneck is the big suitcase muffler. I just had the suitcase muffler cut out and replaced it with two 4 x 9 x 14" oval magnaflow mufflers and it worked great. The tone is nice, especially when you put your foot down but it's not loud when you are just cruising. At idle, you hear a little lower tone and grumble at the rear of the car.

I didn't cut the OEM suitcase muffler open, but did try to shine a light through it after it was removed. It appears to have a big s-bend and baffles in it which is much more constrictive than the straight through magnaflow design. For $220 vs. $600 or more for at cat-back is why I decided on it. I suspect that these new mufflers combined with the CAI wouldn't be much different than a full cat-back with CAI if you were to dyno it. I played a lot with the exhaust system on my Durango Hemi finally perfecting what I thought was a great true dual set up and learned a lot while doing it. The Hemi is a little different as it does require some amount of backpressure or you lose low end torque, so whatever method you go with, just don't oversize the exhaust. I suspect you probably could do what I did and combine it with some nicer resonated exhaust tips and achieve an even meaner sound that still is not overbearing or causes a lot of interior drone.

·
Registered
382 Posts
coolvanilla said:
I didn't cut the OEM suitcase muffler open, but did try to shine a light through it after it was removed. It appears to have a big s-bend and baffles in it which is much more constrictive than the straight through magnaflow design.
Didn't someone post pictures just a few days ago of both the muffler and the resonator cut open? They took their stock exhaust system and donated it to a shop class, and they took a plasma to it to learn how it worked? Hmm, where were those pics...

·
Registered
263 Posts

I just listened to GoDaddy's borla 125's really closely and I think that they are a little too loud for me since I have my wife to deal with. Not to say that they didn't sound badass, it's just that my wife can be a pain in the ass...
(http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109&page=3&highlight=borla+exhaust)

I went to MagnaFlow's website and listened to them there...they sound more in tune to what I was looking for. Plus, my buddy has a 04 Cobra with a MagnaFlow exhaust and it sounds badass also.

Anyone have any experience with FlowMaster's in comparison to MagnaFlow's?

·
Registered
263 Posts

Also...the MagnaFlows everyon's talking about here is part number 15628 right?

·
Registered
263 Posts

Also one last question...how are the MagnaFlows with drone?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts