Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous Dodge Charger RT had more of a growl when i started it up, while it idled and when i accelerated. I assumed that it had an aftermarket exhaust system. My Current R/t has just a little more that a purr when i start it up. Im wondering what is the least costly remedy to give my R/T a little more voice. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
i bought the SLP Loudmouth 2 with Kooks Long Tube headers and it has a nice throaty muscle car sound. check out marylandspeed.com they can hook you up

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
I have an SLP LM II set on my car, love it, sounds like a beast and you can hear me coming and drool as I pass....

I'd love to get a long tube header/hi flo car setup too and add electronic cut outs.... I'd get tickets fast lol

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Take the cats off, mid muffler, if needed rear resonators off(these prevent the drone)
Or add cutouts before the cats or mid muffler for quiet when u want, loud when u need it...

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you want a free mod that will help the noise and not performance look into removing the air intake snorkel. I believe I wrote up removal Instructions. Definitely helps noise but doesn't help HP.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Im wondering what is the least costly remedy to give my R/T a little more voice. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Strictly going by what you asked for, your least costly remedy will be to have your reso's deleted and just replace with them with pipes. (Should cost under $100) If there is too much drone to bear, you can then replace them with some cherry bomb glasspacks where the reso's used to be. That is your LEAST costly way to make her get some growl, along with a CAI.
I'm not really sure on how that cost would compare to just getting different mufflers. Other guys can chime in on that.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Well I disagree with the Reso delete. Resonators cut the drone. From what Ive read and heard from youtube videos, remove the mid mufflers and leave the resonators on. It will cost $100 at your local muffler shop. In place of the mids you can add straight pipe. Some wonder if the reduction in back pressure will cause loss in power. I think the jury is out on that one still.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well I disagree with the Reso delete. Resonators cut the drone. From what Ive read and heard from youtube videos, remove the mid mufflers and leave the resonators on. It will cost $100 at your local muffler shop. In place of the mids you can add straight pipe. Some wonder if the reduction in back pressure will cause loss in power. I think the jury is out on that one still.

Be very wary of cutting out the resonators. As he says, they cut out drone. I don't know about the sound of straight pipes, but that would be the cheapest conversion. Search on YouTube for videos of different exhausts until you find something you like.

-Mitch
2014 SXT Plus AWD w/ Sport Appearance Package

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That is why I went with glasspacks in place of resonators. I didn't even bother with just going the reso delete route, cuz I knew it would be too loud for me. Here is a video clip of what it sounds like. Oh, and there is no drone to speak of. It really sounds good at WOT near the end of the video.

[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: bluetwo

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Is that stock mufflers cuda?
Yes Mitch. Stock muffler with the resonators removed and replaced with 12" cherry bomb glasspacks.
I just wanted a little deeper tone and little bit louder without the drone, and a lot of guys were doing this. I watched a lot of videos, and read a ton of posts, and decided to go this route. I'm glad that I did.
Here are the before and after sound clips from behind the car.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
12 Posts
I need to find a picture of what a 2013 charger RT's exhaust should look like. Just bought mine two weeks ago and the Carfax shows @ 2000 miles (which was about 2500 miles ago) it had exhaust work done and I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I love it, I want it!

How much OTD for the swap? Any hit to mpg?

-Mitch

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I've got a sickness, and the only cure, is more MUSCLE!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I love it, I want it!

How much OTD for the swap? Any hit to mpg?

-Mitch
LOL.....it's the mod bug that bites hardest!! You won't be disappointed. The mpg was no difference at all so far.
Amazon.com Cherry bomb item 87522. You can get them at a discount if you click on the "used" tab when you're on that page. They're really not used. They are still sealed. Just the boxes aren't pretty anymore. Mufflers were perfect condition and the ones I got I paid $24 each for them instead of $31.
I'm sure cost will vary dramatically for install wherever you go. I had estimates between $90 and $240. Good luck with the purchase. Make sure you post up when you get it done!
Here's what they look like installed.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just ordered mine, will be a week or 2. Thanks for your help cuda.

-Mitch

·
Registered
201 Posts
Did they put bigger pipe in? Looks like a split in the middle. Is that the X pipe?

-Mitch

·
Registered
412 Posts
@Cuda -- how does it sound with WOT?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts