Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down 495 on the way home from work about 75 mph in the left lane. In front of me is a blue Honda Civic, probably 2 or 3 years old. I'm behind him for about 2 miles, when he swerves half way into the middle lane, almost hits the car there, jerks the wheel back and goes completely sideways in front of me :eek:

He starts spinning at 70 mph. I jam on breaks and just barely slow before I hit him. Luckily I was following about 10 car lengths back because he was driving pretty aggressively, so I had time to re-act. He spun from the left lane in the grass and almost rolled it over when the tires caught in the dirt!

It was like it happened in slow motion. I was trying to hit the brakes hard enough to not hit they guy, but the guy behind was very close, so I couldn't just stand on the brakes.

When I saw him start to spin, my first thought was, "I wonder how long it will take to get the Charger back from the body shop" :)

I pulled off the road and went back to check on the guy. He had his girl friend in the car and they looked like both of them were between 18-20. I noticed a bag of candy that strewn all over the front of the car, probably why he crashed. His car seemed ok expect for the one front tire which had gotten torn off of the rim when he went into the dirt. I asked him if he wanted me to call anyone, but he seemed more embarrassed than anything and declined and didn't want me to help him change the tire either.

It was one heck of an adrenaline rush on the way home!

I'm just glad that no one was hurt!

The ugliest part was trying to back on 495 from the grass in the median in the middle of rush hour traffic. HEMI sure helps with that though!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Dude...... Thank God no one was hurt or killed. I've seen some fatality accident scenes, and that sounds like it sure could have been one. Everyone on that portion of the highway is soooo lucky.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
So... how much damage to your car?

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No damage, I managed to avoid him while not getting rear-ended by the guy behind me. Scary as hell though, I haven't a call that close in a long, long time.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
No damage, I managed to avoid him while not getting rear-ended by the guy behind me. Scary as hell though, I haven't a call that close in a long, long time.
How much will it cost to clean your seats? :awkward: :lol:

I'm glad you got out OK.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Sounds like you did some awesome defensive driving.

Nice job. Glad no one was hurt.

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was driving down 495 on the way home from work about 75 mph in the left lane. In front of me is a blue Honda Civic, probably 2 or 3 years old. I'm behind him for about 2 miles, when he swerves half way into the middle lane, almost hits the car there, jerks the wheel back and goes completely sideways in front of me :eek:

He starts spinning at 70 mph. I jam on breaks and just barely slow before I hit him. Luckily I was following about 10 car lengths back because he was driving pretty aggressively, so I had time to re-act. He spun from the left lane in the grass and almost rolled it over when the tires caught in the dirt!

It was like it happened in slow motion. I was trying to hit the brakes hard enough to not hit they guy, but the guy behind was very close, so I couldn't just stand on the brakes.

When I saw him start to spin, my first thought was, "I wonder how long it will take to get the Charger back from the body shop" :)

I pulled off the road and went back to check on the guy. He had his girl friend in the car and they looked like both of them were between 18-20. I noticed a bag of candy that strewn all over the front of the car, probably why he crashed. His car seemed ok expect for the one front tire which had gotten torn off of the rim when he went into the dirt. I asked him if he wanted me to call anyone, but he seemed more embarrassed than anything and declined and didn't want me to help him change the tire either.

It was one heck of an adrenaline rush on the way home!

I'm just glad that no one was hurt!

The ugliest part was trying to back on 495 from the grass in the median in the middle of rush hour traffic. HEMI sure helps with that though!
My heart was pounding while reading this. So glad you're alright!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Becareful For Those Idiot Drivers Man!!?? But Good You Werent Hurt!!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
situational awareness, sooooo important. Sounds like you had it. It's what saved you.

·
Registered
702 Posts
How great was that first sigh of relief when you realized everything was alright? I'm glad everything ended up with nothing more than bruised egos.

I really empathized with your post. I had the exact same situation with that EXACT same first thought. Same speed; I had about 10 car lengths at 5:00a on the freeway when I see tires smoking in front of me. I was able to stop within 5 feet of the guy. A seond or two later and 2 cars behind me pile up and hit me into the first guy. Lots of car damage (I got off light. Thank you Dodge for the reinforced frames. Saved my [email protected]@.), but not a scratch on anyone. Got off really lucky.

You were were craftier and stealthier and escaped clean. :ninja: I salute you. (Oh and two and a half weeks is the answer to your question :) )

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
What baffles me is how someone can be such a lousy driver that they can spin a car on a dry highway, with no mechanical failure, while going in a straight line, not even around a curve.

Also, if that car had something like ESP, it would have been a swerve in and out of the middle lane and that would have been it. Then I could have back the year that probably shaved off my life by scaring the heck out of me!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Good job avoiding the accident. Props to you for being attentive to his aggressive driving which appears to have saved you.
I'm glad no one was hurt but it goes to show what 1 second of putting your attention elsewhere can cause.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Glad that no one was hurt. Along with your charger making it through with no scratches or dents.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm glad no one was hurt & your Charger was safe. I was worried reading that, I just got mine back from the body shop Thursday & didn't want to hear about another accident taking 1 of these cars off the road

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I'd have laid an egg........ :nervous s

Glad you were far back enough to stay safe! :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It's always wise to be in tune to the drivers around you. Good for you. And good for you for not smacking that kid for almost causing a wreck. I know I would have wanted to.
Glad the beast made it out unscathed as well lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts