Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. ( I org posted this in the SRT8 Discussion forum by accident)

I would like to request your opinions on this matter. I have a 2month old and4,000 miles on my Charger SRT. I was washing it down yesterday when I decided to check the oil since I havent done so yet, the thought occured to me as I wanted to get the first oil change done this week. Well when I checked it was low on oil, later to find out it was a total of 2qts low.

Now these engines take 7 total qts, do you think I burn 2qts during break in?, Was I doing damage to the engine?

I am afriad that I might have done some damage, but didnt know if this would be ok, Im sure not ideal, but ok. I never got an oil light to come on. Should I say something to the dealership when I take it in?

What do you guys think.

Thanks alot in advance

JDO

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Hi guys. ( I org posted this in the SRT8 Discussion forum by accident)

I would like to request your opinions on this matter. I have a 2month old and4,000 miles on my Charger SRT. I was washing it down yesterday when I decided to check the oil since I havent done so yet, the thought occured to me as I wanted to get the first oil change done this week. Well when I checked it was low on oil, later to find out it was a total of 2qts low.

Now these engines take 7 total qts, do you think I burn 2qts during break in?, Was I doing damage to the engine?

I am afriad that I might have done some damage, but didnt know if this would be ok, Im sure not ideal, but ok. I never got an oil light to come on. Should I say something to the dealership when I take it in?

What do you guys think.

Thanks alot in advance

JDO
Right - the bad news first - you're engine is going to explode! :smoke:

I kid, I kid. Right - stop panicking!

Did the engine oil lever warning light come on?

If it didn't, then you will have maintained oil flow and pressure at the bearings/rings etc - so there's no need to worry - you engine is fine!

Now - there is always the chance that the engine was supplied to you from the factory low on oil. Not very likely, but as far as I am concerned - it does happen!

Engines certainly burn more oil when new, than when fully bedded in. That is, unless, the person rags the engine all the time from new, where it is possible for the oil consumption to stay high...and maybe get worse.

Also, the engine oil volume of 7 quarts will allow for oil consumption and leak inbetween servicings - there is more oil in the sump than is needed - this allows for things to happen such as your experience. Some people never check their oil from one servicing to the next - a reason that the very short servicing intervals are probably insisted upon.

The only thing that I can think of WRT having 2 quarts missing, is that the oil would have heated up more quickly (less oil) and 'may' have run a little hotter. It would depend on the use of the vehicle. I would not have wanted to track-race the car with that much oil missing, but for road/fast road, you'll probably be absolutely fine!

There's a couple of things you can do. Top up and check in a couple of weeks to make sure you're not 2 quarts down again. Check for oil leaks around the engine, under the chassis of the car and on top of the under-engine tray. If there's no signs of a leak, then assume the engine burnt it. If you check in a couple of weeks and the oil is around the same level, then it was low when you got it. If the oil has gone again, it could be that your engine is burning it - go and check with a dealer if this level of consumption is acceptable - get it noted/report it - just to cover yourself in the future.

If you are worried that the low level of oil might have stressed the oil that was in there, you can always get it changed out and refilled with new oil. My feeling is that topping up should be fine.

Good luck - don't forget to let us know how it goes! :)

arf

·
Registered
502 Posts
My SRT used two quarts before the first oil change at 3800 Miles. Since then I have seen almost no oil useage. Personally I think your engine will be fine. Just get the oil changed and continue to monitor it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok,

I must say ARFUR, you have got to the be the perfect example of forum member help. Your response is GREATLY appreciated, and this forum is extremely lucky to have you.

No, the engine light did not come on. I have added two qts for now. I also just made an appointment for tomorrow at 12pm to have the oil change done ($95.65 - Ouch!) I will ask them at that time what they think.

I never really noitice the engine running hotter than others have experience here, especailly since I was running the car during the hotest months in Michigan. Which is really at best 95 degrees.

I do run the car pretty hard however, But I did only run it hard once during the first 500 miles. So I believe my break in was acceptable.

Thanks again ARFUR

JDO

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Ok,

I must say ARFUR, you have got to the be the perfect example of forum member help. Your response is GREATLY appreciated, and this forum is extremely lucky to have you.

No, the engine light did not come on. I have added two qts for now. I also just made an appointment for tomorrow at 12pm to have the oil change done ($95.65 - Ouch!) I will ask them at that time what they think.

I never really noitice the engine running hotter than others have experience here, especailly since I was running the car during the hotest months in Michigan. Which is really at best 95 degrees.

I do run the car pretty hard however, But I did only run it hard once during the first 500 miles. So I believe my break in was acceptable.

Thanks again ARFUR

JDO
No worries - glad I could help. It can be very worrying if something happens to your ride!

Well - my guess would be that the engine oil would not have got to the point where it would have started to break down (due to excessive temperatures) from the sounds of how it was used. Anyway - matters not, as you are replacing it! :)

I think you're fine - keep enjoying the ride (and check that oil every now and then!).

arf.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I also agree completely with Arfur. No harm done. Since you didn't verify the oil level when you picked it up, it's anyone's guess if it was delivered with 2 quarts shy or if you burned it (assuming you looked for leaks). On this change, just double check the level when you pick-up and then check it each time you fill up to see if you're losing any.

Probably nothing to worry about.

Cheers,

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Right - the bad news first - you're engine is going to explode! :smoke:

I kid, I kid. Right - stop panicking!

Did the engine oil lever warning light come on?

If it didn't, then you will have maintained oil flow and pressure at the bearings/rings etc - so there's no need to worry - you engine is fine!

Now - there is always the chance that the engine was supplied to you from the factory low on oil. Not very likely, but as far as I am concerned - it does happen!

Engines certainly burn more oil when new, than when fully bedded in. That is, unless, the person rags the engine all the time from new, where it is possible for the oil consumption to stay high...and maybe get worse.

Also, the engine oil volume of 7 quarts will allow for oil consumption and leak inbetween servicings - there is more oil in the sump than is needed - this allows for things to happen such as your experience. Some people never check their oil from one servicing to the next - a reason that the very short servicing intervals are probably insisted upon.

The only thing that I can think of WRT having 2 quarts missing, is that the oil would have heated up more quickly (less oil) and 'may' have run a little hotter. It would depend on the use of the vehicle. I would not have wanted to track-race the car with that much oil missing, but for road/fast road, you'll probably be absolutely fine!

There's a couple of things you can do. Top up and check in a couple of weeks to make sure you're not 2 quarts down again. Check for oil leaks around the engine, under the chassis of the car and on top of the under-engine tray. If there's no signs of a leak, then assume the engine burnt it. If you check in a couple of weeks and the oil is around the same level, then it was low when you got it. If the oil has gone again, it could be that your engine is burning it - go and check with a dealer if this level of consumption is acceptable - get it noted/report it - just to cover yourself in the future.

If you are worried that the low level of oil might have stressed the oil that was in there, you can always get it changed out and refilled with new oil. My feeling is that topping up should be fine.

Good luck - don't forget to let us know how it goes! :)

arf

like the brit said. i've checked in many vehicles from the factory and almost all dodges and fords alike come on the min side of the level indicator. That is fine and does not need to be maxed out. However people have the misconception that they have to have it maxed out and between min and max is almost a qt. Therefore if it came low , which i expect from years of experience, and you filled to max, your car theoritacally only lost a qt. which is very acceptable.
The factory keeping level low can save nearly 1 qt, per car, times 60 cars an hour, times 24 hours. Thats nearly a savings of 1300 qts a day. See why they do it?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
can we get an update on your issue. ive been noticing over the past few days that my oil pressure has been low, it chimed low oil pressure today, (i had thought it was not providing ample warm up time ((which our cars shouldnt need to much of anyway)))). went to a station and dumped 3 quarts in and it only riased up to just below the safe line. i didn't want to add more then 3 quarts at once so i left it at that, ill check again in a few weeks. i didnt notice any leaking anywhere.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Ok,

:) That's cuz you caught him in a good mood :) :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts