Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I go again...

While i was getting my subs and amp installed yesterday, I was looking at thier rims and stuff. Lots of good looking stuff...but I have some questions for the crew here:

What is "offset"? why is it important? What does a Charger need to be?

Will 20in rims make any difference (time) what so ever at the track? (just checking)

Can I still do a eibach drop with 20's on?

What are the best manufacture's for rim's? tires (high speed series)?

Thanks for the knowledge in advance...

·
Registered
382 Posts
dagummit said:
What is "offset"?
It's the distance from where the wheel's mounting surface to its center.

dagummit said:
why is it important?
Do you want a wheel sticking 4 inches out past the fender? If you do, or do NOT, then offset is important. :)

dagummit said:
What does a Charger need to be?
The recommended range is 15 to 22.

Also, not sure if you know, but here are some other numbers for the wheels:

Bolt Pattern: 5 x 115
Size Range: 18 x 7.5 to 22 x 9.5

dagummit said:
Will 20in rims make any difference (time) what so ever at the track? (just checking)
I've heard that yes, it will make a difference. Usually, it'll make you slower. I don't know first-hand, only remember seeing the comment in passing one time.

dagummit said:
Can I still do a eibach drop with 20's on?
Well, if you put a lower profile tire on them, the overall diameter will change very little, so I would think it shouldn't matter at all. If you end up increasing the overall diameter, then you might have problems. I am not speaking from experience here, so get this confirmed with someone who has done it. Personally, I would get the wheels and tires before I did the springs, just in case. You could always go with a lesser drop (Mopar springs are supposed to be 1") if they turned out to be bigger.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bro...

I definately don't want to make it slower...lol...

mayber I'll just stay with 18's but in a chrome fashion of some sort.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I did a little googling and it seems the reason it would slow you down is that typically larger rims weigh more, and that extra weight is unsprung (not being carried, but part of what the engine must directly turn/move). Adding unsprung weight is the worst kind of weight to add.

Now, I didn't find anything about how much speed you'd lose. It might be that the amount lost is only something you'd notice at the drag strip, which may or may not matter to you. I don't know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive also heard that getting bigger, heavier, wheels will take more stopping power to stop. Increased stopping distance and wear and tear on the brake parts.

If all that matters I believe you can find high performace lightweight wheels, probably cost a bit more though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Without going over all of the math involved, the rule of thumb is that for every pound of unsprung weight you add/remove, its equivilant to 4lbs sprung weight. So, if a larger wheel/tire combo weighed 8lbs/corner more than stock, thats equivilant to adding 32lbs/corner, or 128lbs to the car's curb weight. You can guess somewhere around 1/10th quarter mile time difference per 100lbs, so that theoretical wheel/tire combo would cost you a little over 1/10sec. Aesthetic value will vary.
Myself, I'm still hunting for an acceptable lightweight combo. Wheels can be found near 20lbs for our cars (18"), but any of the good performance tires are heavy!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
elcapitan87 said:
Without going over all of the math involved, the rule of thumb is that for every pound of unsprung weight you add/remove, its equivilant to 4lbs sprung weight. So, if a larger wheel/tire combo weighed 8lbs/corner more than stock, thats equivilant to adding 32lbs/corner, or 128lbs to the car's curb weight. You can guess somewhere around 1/10th quarter mile time difference per 100lbs, so that theoretical wheel/tire combo would cost you a little over 1/10sec. Aesthetic value will vary.
Myself, I'm still hunting for an acceptable lightweight combo. Wheels can be found near 20lbs for our cars (18"), but any of the good performance tires are heavy!
Thanks for that breakdown. Wow, 100lbs equates for a 1/10th of a sec on the 1/4mi. So...if I found a way to shave a 1000 pounds off the thing, I'd drop a whole second! LoL

Does anyone know how much the stock tires/ rims weigh now? I could take one off and weigh it, but just seeing if anyone knows before I do it. I will do it however this coming weekend if I haven't heard anything back.

Also, I think I'll stick with the 18's, but go chrome. ANy particular brands to keep in mind?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was considering these

Both are made by Centerline and are rotary forged wheels. Neither are chromed, but are high polished finish. Either choice is 22lbs. Stock wheels are 27lbs and stock tires are 29lbs according to Tire Rack. I want lighter yet, but am not having much luck finding them. As I mentioned before, finding performance tires in an acceptable size and weight has been even tougher!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts