Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I need help here please;

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger that has 199,xxx miles on it, but about 91,xxx on the engine (was replaced with a 2.7L V6 after the other one blew up) and an automatic transmission with only a CAI and exhaust

Currently the check engine light is on, and it's pulling random misfire on cylinder 2, in which I have ruled out it's not the spark plug and was going to replace the coil as well but never got to it.
It also has an overheating issue which was believed to be the thermostat given the code it was pulling and the symptoms (important here); it will overheat mostly when at an idle once at operating temp, (center of the gauge) but generally moving it's alright and can get around occasionally stopping to let it cool if it overheated.

So when I got caught at a red light today it started creeping over the center line like it was ready to overheat, so at the light I put it in (P)ark ready to turn off the engine in case it flew up into the hot range, but the light turned green, which once I get moving it's fine. So I push on the gas to get going and I realize it's still in (P)ark... So I literally accidentally bump the transmission with my wrist and it managed to get into (D)rive while still revving from when I pushed in the gas in (P)ark. This was not intentional whatsoever so I was not looking at the tachometer when it switched but given the sound it was making I'm guessing in the 3k - 5k RPM range. It got to (D)rive after going through (R)everse and (N)eutral all while at 4k RPM or so and then I hear this terrible grinding and klunk, and now I can't push the gas in without it making this loud "grinding" like noise. It rolls I guess and will drive ever so slightly but not without the horrid noise and the whole car shaking.

The best way I can describe the sound is if you put multiple playing cards into a bike wheel and let it spin. (you'll hear the cards clip the metal) and that 10x. It's pretty loud. It also from the outside looks like the wheels shake when it makes that noise, and they almost look as to lockup.

So I had it towed to my house and it will obviously be towed to a mechanic but what am I looking at here? What did I screw up and what am I looking at in terms of cost/repair? It may not be easy to tell, but give me a few possible things? So I know what I'm looking at. Is the whole transmission shot? Or just a broken gear, easy fixes by chance?

Additional information;
A little while back my car got stuck in park, and my friend (who fixed that problem) said it was a bad solenoid, which he removed and my car was back to "normal" and would shift again but it was a little "looser" and easier to shift from all gears, which is why me "bumping" the transmission shifter caused to switch so far (Park to Drive).

ANY suggestions/thoughts/diagnosis/troubleshooting/comments are VERY appreciated!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Well, worst case (if you destroyed the tranny) you can get a used replacement for around $300-400 with around 80-120 k miles on it. That plus labor and you will be back on the road.

Search ebay and you will find dozens for sale.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Your buddy probably bypassed the pink thingy which likely broke.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Something with the park pawl maybe?

I was in a rental Chrysler Town and Country going about 55 mph when the front seat passenger reached over and threw the thing in park. Got a nice grinding sound just like you described from the park pawl trying to do its thing. Back in drive it was fine though. Have you driven it since the incident? Tried shifting in and out of gear?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You def broke something, could be anything from the torque converter to the wheel hubs. If the wheels are shaking a little, I would hedge my guess on it being a differential problem. If possible, check to see if drive shaft is spinning with the car in drive and all the brakes locked down. If the drive shaft is spinning and car isn't moving, you blew the differential. If the drive shaft isn't spinning and you still here the grinding noise, you damaged something in your transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts