Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say it will be here by the middle of next week. Has anyone installed this themselves? Is it hard? Any advice you can give me? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i did it myself, if your any kind of a handyman it wont be hard at all.

it makes it a lot easier if you pop your hood and let your engine cool for a couple of hours.

there are a lot of posts with how to's when it comes to installing a CAI. be sure to have a lil bit of oil( i used gun oil.. some used vasoline, some used oil off the dispstick ;) ) on hand to get the old temp sensors in and out, theyre they hardest part and can be easy to break.

·
Registered
342 Posts
^^ I agree, the re-installing of the sensor onto the new CAI was by far the hardest part for my install. Everything else is a breeze. There are some people that complain that the metal part where the CAI sits rubs against the inner fender and scratches it. You can add some weather striping or other rubberized material to protect it, do a search on here on it.

Otherwise, it's a simple installation.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i installed a couple for people in my area.

the rubber connector to the throttle body is greased up too much and the intake clamps slip off when you tighten them. make sure to remove some of that extra oil/lubrication.

my hands were totally bloody after installing it. imho, it was harder to install the airhammer and mopar intakes. the mopar being the easiest.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
hm, mine was a piece of cake to do. the hardest time i had was with that bottom screw on the housing attatching it to the intake tube.

id get the sensor in the new tube first. with it all apart.

THEN attatch the new tube to the houston completely, then slip it whole thing in and line it up.

trying to do those 3 screws can get a lil tough if ur hands are greasy cuz the lock washers are pretty small and kept slippin off since the bottom one was outta my view

·
Registered
935 Posts
where from

[/Ihey where did you order it from and how much. I was leaning towarde the mopar but not really sure yet]

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea the temp sensor is definately the hardest part to get into the new CAI. I nearly broke the sealer because it wouldn't go in... i finally used some plyers to grind down the AFE's temp hole and it made it slightly more manageable...but still a pain. If you get past that...you are set

·
Registered
268 Posts
By far the hardest and most time consuming part of the install was finding and extracting the screw I dropped on the engine plate when putting it on, so be careful about not dropping any screws... Also do not trim the oil breather tube they give you without checking it with the engine cover back in place.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered it from southern Hotrod. Heres the link.

http://www.southernhotrod.com/store/product.php?productid=16479&cat=0&page=1

It was only $255 with free shipping.

I had to take off the stock cai before to put on my honeycomb grille so I dont think installing the new one will be to hard. So thanks to everyone for advice. Ill take pictures and post them once I have it installed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
[/Ihey where did you order it from and how much. I was leaning towarde the mopar but not really sure yet]

Contact tbyrne, they're a sponsor on this board and have great prices on almost all of their stuff.:grin:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Be very careful with sensor. I broke mine, I think the new one I bought cost like 20-30 dollars.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Cai

hey gregg let me know how the install went and if it met your expectations, I might be in the market for this one thanks

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the AFE exceeded my expectations. the sound it added to my exhaust alone was what really impressed me. i didnt realize it would do that to such an extent.

as far as pure horsies go. i cant say that i felt any more stright up. howeverthe car is a lot more responsive and at about 3k rpms starts to pull a LOT harder than it did before.

the number one reason i ordred it is because i got it for a STEAL of a price from(as promotiontuning mentions :) :) ) southern hotrod for like...i cant remember but 250 bucks and free shipping or something mind blowing.

the killer price.. and the fact taht i knew it is basicalyl a given that you get one if you do any sort of other work to your car like exhaust as its just another peice of the puzzle when it comes to your cars breathing better.

(thermostat--headers/highflowcats/catback--cai--handheld tuner) are the 4 main ingredients in giving your car serious juice without hurting your warranty or breaking into any expensivev parts of your car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
AFE stage 2 installed over weekend

Me and my nephew installed it on Saturday and installation was pretty simple after we realized the tube slips from the inside of the filter housing (look at the directions and pictures next time dummy, :knockout: ). I felt the hardest was getting the sensor out of the stock intake, I was worried about breaking it like every warned. Thought another helpful trick was to install the bottom screw, washer and nut prior to installing assy into area, just leave it loose.
Had to trim breather tube , it was too long and kinked when we installed it.

Seems a little louder, not as much as I imagined by the way everyone described. But really didnt ride it that hard and long yet. only 3K on the engine so she's still breaking in. Looks great except the nice AFE decal didnt stick, have to get some adhesive and attach it. Also realized getting the Hemi engine cover back on sometime isnt the easiest to align the holes for the snaps, but finally got it on and looks, sounds cool.

Order it from Southern Hotrod, nice price somewhere like $255.

·
Registered
935 Posts
cool good luck with it. The problem is there are a ton of diffferent intakes for this car and I dont believe anyone is better than another, I guess I will wait and see which one I really like

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
goto www.lxforums.com

find the section of forums called Mods Face Off (MFO) and read all thru there. they do comprehensive dyno testing on the same car with different CAI's.

then you will beleive that there are differences.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Cold Air Intake came today. The install was really easy the hardest part was getting the sensor off and puting it on the new one. Im really happy with it. The new engine sound alone is awesome. You can really feel the more power with the intake and the JBA exhaust.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
with the JBA setup and the intake, as soon as you hit 3k RPMS it launches. i love it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
do you guys know about any video showing how to change the CAI, that part about the sensor is getting me realy freekout to do the work by my self
thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts