Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's the deal. I ran over something. Probably a pot hole and I was probably going fast because I lost a chunk of tread from my front driver's side F1 Supercar. Unfortunately hitting a pothole at speed isn't hard to do around here. This missing chunk has caused my tire to start to wear bad on the outside edge. I thought I had an alignment issue or the all too common effed up tie rod problem but all was well. The dealership sent me on my way saying the only fix is a new tire but it should be safe for a while. What should I do at this point? I know a lot of you like the Supercars and they are an expensive tire. $250-$300 depending on where you look. Since I am not their biggest fan I don't really want to drop that kind of coin on a tire that doesn't really do a whole lot for me. Therefore I am kicking around the idea in my head of selling the other 3 tires and getting a complete set of something else. Right now I am thinking between the Vreds, Nitto Invo and Toyo Proxes. I need something that does well wet. I didn't do winter tires last year but I did drive around in the wet. I used my SUV in the snow. I may get winter tires later on but that's a lot of rubber to buy in one year. :boink: :D Anyway toss me some pros and cons. Their prices are all pretty much equal and if you want 3 F1 Supercars with 11,000 miles on them don't be shy about shooting me a pm. I'll ship them. Offsetting the cost of new tires would make me happy but this thread is mostly about which tires you guys think I should buy and why. Trev and Patrick since I know you are going to post some weird pictures let me toss one out there for you.

Thanks a lot guys and girls for your input as always.:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
If wet performance is a high prioriy, then I recommend the Goodyear GS-D3. Top-of-field wet perfomance tire and ranks very highly on dry pavement. Second only to one or two others. Not like the slippery-when-wet F1 Supercars. Read the reviews at Tirerack.com and see for yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Poxies are @$$ in the rain, I had 4's on my lowered suburban and it spun out 2x in light rain not driving fast maby 15 mph slow turn. I've got hankook ventus 12's right now and they aren't that bad as long as you don't go arount WOTTING in tge rain.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'll read up on those.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other additional thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone ever run Nitto NT420's? They are a performance/suv tire sort of like the Vreds.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Anyone ever run Nitto NT420's? They are a performance/suv tire sort of like the Vreds.
Nope - Glad I could help :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I have Nitto Invos on my SRT8 and I like them. I just put Nitto 420s on my wife's R/T and I like them even better. When my Invos wear out I'll be going with 420s. They stick really well in the rain. Nice ride as well.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At the moment I feel like I am going between the invos and vreds. I found a site with vreds for $160 per tire. Not bad.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
If wet performance is a high prioriy, then I recommend the Goodyear GS-D3. Top-of-field wet perfomance tire and ranks very highly on dry pavement. Second only to one or two others. Not like the slippery-when-wet F1 Supercars. Read the reviews at Tirerack.com and see for yourself.
The GS-D3s are amazing in the wet, and on dry pavement. Some would even say that I get a woody talking about them but they are a great tire...excuse me for a sec...:boink:...sorry. Can't help it! :biggrinjester:

Unfortunately, they don't make an appropriate size in a 20 inch tire for the SRT rim/tire height. Otherwise, I would be all over them for my MSRTs. If I don't sell my MSRT rims, then my top choices for a tire are the Toyo Proxes4 and the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. 2 slightly different tires, but both have been given good reviews by the members here that have used them. My tire guy recommends either one. Hehehe...I asked him which one is closest to my Goodyears...and he said that my GYs are in a league of their own. I believe him. They are that good:boink:

:biggrinjester:

So Glad, the Spec-Xs are rated for M+S and are labelled as an All-Season Ultra High Performance tire and have a treadwear of 420, while the Proxes4 have a treadwear of 300.

Check out this link for the Spec-Xs...just scroll down... http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?brand=Yokohama&category=All+Season

I have Nitto Invos on my SRT8 and I like them. I just put Nitto 420s on my wife's R/T and I like them even better. When my Invos wear out I'll be going with 420s. They stick really well in the rain. Nice ride as well.
I hear the 420S is a very nice tire. Too bad they don't offer a 275/40 size for a 20 inch rim. I want to go with a 245/45 up front and a 275/40 in the back.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The GS-D3s are amazing in the wet, and on dry pavement. Some would even say that I get a woody talking about them but they are a great tire...excuse me for a sec...:boink:...sorry. Can't help it! :biggrinjester:

Unfortunately, they don't make an appropriate size in a 20 inch tire for the SRT rim/tire height.
Damn, damn, damn! Tirerack had GS-D3 265/45 20s just a few months ago that were a perfect fit for my SRT-8. Only a few % difference on tire rotations per mile. Crap! I guess I need to search and see if anyone has that size still in inventory. I wasn't planning on buying for another year or so when my RSAs wore out... Guess I gotta buy them now if I can find them.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The yokohamas look good but I'd like to see a pic mounted on an lx. They are also $100 per tire more than the vreds and nittos but they are also good in snow. Hard to say.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
The yokohamas look good but I'd like to see a pic mounted on an lx. They are also $100 per tire more than the vreds and nittos but they are also good in snow. Hard to say.
AWD_Gabe has those on his 20s. Several others too. $100 more...are you quoting the price from the 1010tire site? If so, those are Canadian $.

TireRack has the 245/45 for $139, and the 275/40 for $142. For comparison's sake...the stock Daytona size (235/55R18) goes for $148!!!

:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh. Lol. Silly Canadian money. :canada: Sounds good to me. :D

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Oh. Lol. Silly Canadian money. :canada: Sounds good to me. :D
Yeah...similar to Monopoly money!

Go read the reviews from TireRack. I just did. All real positive...reviews average a 9.02, IIRC. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He does. He's all about the intake.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts