Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored sunday so I bought a roll of gorilla tape from the hardware store.
Just wanted to see if it would make a difference.
Gorilla tape is the stickiest, and I think its 17mils thick.

Anyway, so I just taped over the vents. I used the entire roll to cover the two vents. I ended up putting tape over the openings in the trunk lid also. I plan on doing the cover pretty soon, so I will end up putting fat mat over the tape before I do the cover.

I drove it around for a while and it seems to have quieted it a bit. The road noise is definetely lower. When on the highway at cruising speeds it sounds a bit better. It still hums a bit when barely on the gas. Thats with the radio off.
With it on, it goes away. I try to remember that the annoying sound means its trying to get better mileage.

Still havent found any negative issues with covering the vents. I thought maybe with the windows up, and the air on.....it might build up too much pressure. The vents only seemed to open outwards, as if to let air out of the car. Bad part of them was that the flaps were just rubber.
Hopefully when I put the fat mat it will tone down a bit more.
Either way, the test only cost $8 and about 20minutes.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vents are behind the side panels

If you pull the side panels down, inside the trunk. You will see there is a vent on each side. the vent is about 5X6 and it has little flaps that open up to the rear fender area right above where the resonators are located.
You can put your fingers through the flaps they are about 1".

I covered them because I wanted to get rid of as much road noise, and exhaust noise.
I have flowmaster 40s without resonators. Its actually not bad now. I sound deadened the trunk up to the rear seats. I still plan on doing the area below the rear seats, and trying to soundproof the rear seats. A few guys said they used spray foam to fill the seat backs to make them a bit more solid.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you pull the side panels down, inside the trunk. You will see there is a vent on each side. the vent is about 5X6 and it has little flaps that open up to the rear fender area right above where the resonators are located.
You can put your fingers through the flaps they are about 1".

I covered them because I wanted to get rid of as much road noise, and exhaust noise.
I have flowmaster 40s without resonators. Its actually not bad now. I sound deadened the trunk up to the rear seats. I still plan on doing the area below the rear seats, and trying to soundproof the rear seats. A few guys said they used spray foam to fill the seat backs to make them a bit more solid.
well like u said... its a one way vent, no fumes are gonna come thru. im no mopar engineer but id imagine they'd be used for some type of ventilation. weather it be chemical (from the battery) or just for air pressure.

dynomat would do best IMO to sound proof ur exhaust, or a flowmaster 50 series woulda done the job. and im not too sure where u would put additional foam on the rear seats, but that spray foam expands. - its a mess to deal with and i wouldnt even wanna think of what that outcome would look like

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
They are there to let air out when you are running the climate control on anything other than recirc. They also vent the car when the air bags pop. If the car is sealed up tight the bags will not inflate properly. You may also encounter problems with having to slam the doors to get them shut all the way.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Gee, I guess the engineers didn't know what they were doing when they put those vents in there. Why not take off the windshield wipers while you're at it, I see you live in SO. CA, it never rains there so it must be causing some wind drag?????

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea i wouldnt cover the vents...

besides as long as ur back seats are up, they will block the noise. i think the back seat has more of a sound dampening effect than tape...

and i think the vent is probably for the battery. i have a jaguar xjs, which is known for rusting from the inside out. the reason it rusts from the inside out is because the battery is in the trunk and it has a vent, but it easily becomes disconnected. i bet if you block up the vent and dont air the trunk out, the charger would also rust from the inside out

·
Registered
726 Posts
I don't think the vents are for the battery. I owned a 94 Intrepid and it had the vents too, but the battery was in the engine compartment. Vents are most likely for air pressure equalization, like when shutting doors or the trunk and to allow for moisture to make it's way out eventually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an 05 neon and it had vents in the back too. The battery was in the front. So I think it is more for air pressure for when you shut the door.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The vents could be for equalizing air pressure when its hot. My parents have talked about having a window pop out when it got really hot. We're talking 50 + years ago. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Those vents are a feature called "flow through ventilation". Car manufacturers have been using the concept since the early 70's. The air comes from the dash vent, flows to the rear of the trunk, and around out the quarter panels, or rear of the vehicle. All cars / trucks have them, and are necessary to keep your car's air space fresh when ever in travel.

I believe Skeletonizer summed up the possible negative effects of covering those vents quite effectively.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Maybe if you packed some fiberglass batting in there loosely it'd deaden the sound without hampering the airflow too much...

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Technically, they are known as air extractors, and perform all the purposes stated above. Give the increased air pressure when the doors are closed someplace to go. Avoid increased air pressure due to air bags blowing off. Give the ventilation someplace to go. The size is carefully calculated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm sure I'll get shot at for this, BUT... I used to work as a parts consultant at a Saturn dealership and the ION had it's battery in the trunk as well. It had a vented battery and I remember the service techs saying that it had to vent to the outside air. I haven't really taken a look at the setup on our batteries though. I think the vents you are talking about are for pressure equalization (door/trunk closing) though. I'm not sure as to what any ill effects might be, but I wouldn't advise it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts