Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was cleaning the garage and noticed that the brown spot was not normal - It was oil!

My brand new (1,200 miles) SXT balcktop was just parked there. I checked where it was in the driveway and sure enough another large puddle (each one was about 4 inch wide by 8 inches long) the oil was fresh and clean.

I moved that car back a few feet after it had cooled and no more leak. I checked around and can clearly see that there is a lot of oil splashed around and dripping of the undercarriage near the drive train and some kind of plastic pan.

I checked the oil level and it is below the range by about a quart it seems.

Normal? no,
Chronic? I dont think so other wise at this rate the engine would have seized

Perhaps after hard driving? fast driving? sporty driving?

any advice? thought? directions?

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
I'll take "Cryptic Thread Titles" for $200, Alex.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Guarantee it's a loose filter. If you're able to, just check it yourself. It'll take you twenty minutes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Did you have the oil changed recently? The 2014 3.6L oil filters aren't the same as the 2013 and if the incorrect one is used it can cause an oil leak.

A NEW OIL FILTER IS RELEASED FOR 2014 MODELS THAT INCLUDE A 3.6L / 3.2L OR 3.0L (PENTASTAR FAMILY ENGINE)
The 2014 Pentastar engine will be launching soon. The oil filter that was used in the 2013 Pentastar engines WILL NOT work with the 2014 engine.

Using a 2013 filter on 2014 model engines will create an oil leak situation.

2014 - 68191349AA - Filter Kit = Filter and Cap O-ring

Not backward compatible

2013 is 68079744AB - Filter Kit = Filter and Cap O-ring

Not forward compatible

The below 2014 engines will also use the 2014 filter 68191349AA - Filter Kit = Filter and Cap O-ring

2014 – 3.6L, DS DX JC JF JK JS J3 LC LD LX RM RT VF WD WK W6

2014 – 3.2L, KL K2

2014 – 3.0L, JK LX WK (BUX)

(Originally Chris)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
The last time I let dodge change my oil (two years ago, never again) I came home and the next say I saw a few oil drops under the car. So I checked under the hood and the entire belly pan was pooled with oil. Checked the level and there was barely any in the car. If I had driven the car the engine would have been toast. Jacked the car up and bam the filter wasn't even hand tight...they maybe gave it one twist. If you haven't changed the oil recently it would be peculiar to have an issue with the filter. But stranger things have happened. I doubt it's something serious.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I'll have to have it checked out. I wasn't able to check it myself because I had no socket large enough for the filter - but will get it into service tomorrow.

Thing is I have done anything to it - no oil changes at all. I hope this was done at the factory and it is this simple. Heres hoping!

Did you have the oil changed recently? The 2014 3.6L oil filters aren't the same as the 2013 and if the incorrect one is used it can cause an oil leak.

A NEW OIL FILTER IS RELEASED FOR 2014 MODELS THAT INCLUDE A 3.6L / 3.2L OR 3.0L (PENTASTAR FAMILY ENGINE)
The 2014 Pentastar engine will be launching soon. The oil filter that was used in the 2013 Pentastar engines WILL NOT work with the 2014 engine.

Using a 2013 filter on 2014 model engines will create an oil leak situation.

2014 - 68191349AA - Filter Kit = Filter and Cap O-ring

Not backward compatible

2013 is 68079744AB - Filter Kit = Filter and Cap O-ring

Not forward compatible

The below 2014 engines will also use the 2014 filter 68191349AA - Filter Kit = Filter and Cap O-ring

2014 – 3.6L, DS DX JC JF JK JS J3 LC LD LX RM RT VF WD WK W6

2014 – 3.2L, KL K2

2014 – 3.0L, JK LX WK (BUX)

(Originally Chris)

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Check your oil level before driving it again. If it's low, have Chrysler tow it to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the car to the dealer the day after.

Was told that the housing that contains the lines coming from the filter assembly are leaking (not the filter itself).

The part is backordered and there are 24 or 30 orders ahead of mine from the Newark NJ distribution center alone.

The oil that does leak is pooling under the housing creating a situation where under acceleration or when it overfill the oil splashes down onto the exhaust, creating a fire hazard.

I had the leave the car at the dealer. Thats a lot of one specialty part that are on order....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts