Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the 5.7, about 42K on the odo. - running 89oct with the QB oil and ACES IV. I do mostly city driving (probably close to 90/10), and as of lately I have been paying close attention to my driving habits - I'm driving quite a bit more conservatively than normal.

With the 91oct CAI performance tune - MDS disabled - I was seeing around 14.5 mpg. Dropped back to stock and now I'm seeing about 14-14.5 mpg. As the title says, I did not buy a HEMI for the gas mileage, but after reading up on the other MPG threads I've noticed I'm getting quite a bit lower than other RT/Daytona owners.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to squeeze a few more MPGs out of the HEMI?

Oh, I also bought the car used with 36K...so I'm not sure about the level of care given by the previous owner, or if they even bothered with the whole 30K routine.

Thanks! :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I would check the plugs and see if they were replaced at 30K or not. If they are the original plugs, they most likely need replaced! Also when was the last time you replaced the air filter?

What kind of mix is your driving? I do about 70% highway, 30% back roads, and I average between 19-20 mpg. Very little sitting in traffic though, even on the back roads. That's running with a predator and the 93CAI tune, a 85mm throttle body, and Airaid CAI.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
x2 on the plugs. Check them out. How is your idle?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would check the plugs and see if they were replaced at 30K or not. If they are the original plugs, they most likely need replaced! Also when was the last time you replaced the air filter?

What kind of mix is your driving? I do about 70% highway, 30% back roads, and I average between 19-20 mpg. Very little sitting in traffic though, even on the back roads. That's running with a predator and the 93CAI tune, a 85mm throttle body, and Airaid CAI.
I will check the plugs...what brand is popular here on the forum if they do need replaced? Also, my day consists of mostly city driving - probably 80% city. I just added the CAI [Frankintake] a couple months ago so I would assume the filter should be ok.

Thanks all! happy driving :driving:

·
Registered
711 Posts
When I uploaded my 93 CAI tune, I disabled MDS and my MPG went down to roughly 13-14. When I redid the tune and re-enabled MDS, I got back to about 18-19 [I do 75highway/25city driving].

I suggest easing off putting that HEMI to work, and let MDS do its thing. While I hate the exhaust drone, and how its not as smooth to transition from 4 to 8 cylinders, it gets the job done.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I got the 91CAI tune with MDS on...........I mostly drive in town only so an average tank for me gets about 14.5-15mpg if I drive like granny the ENTIRE time.......literally not WOT a single time

·
Registered
48 Posts
I drive my car mostly commuting into NYC, so a lot of stop nad go traffic and some burst of highway. The best I ever see is 15mpg on a tank full, and have seen a tank average of less than 11 mpg. Unless going on a trip or such, wheer it will get well up into the 20's mpg wise. I have changed the plugs recently and the old ones were not bad, and still the same just a little more pep. Brought the car back to the dealership multiple times last year complaining about this as it had seemed to have dropped off a little from new, and they checked everything. They installed some sort of modified program, still no better or at least not much.
Think it is just a fact of life that these are heavy cars and will not get good mileage in traffic. But driving this thing is the only thing keeping me sane while stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm using 89oct plus ACES IV with 91oct CAI pred tune MDS off. Avg 19-20mpg (280-310 miles per tank). 90/10 Freeway/street. Still working on getting rid of LT KNK but that should not significantly change MPG.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Think it is just a fact of life that these are heavy cars and will not get good mileage in traffic. But driving this thing is the only thing keeping me sane while stuck in traffic.
I agree, with mostly city only driving. MPG takes a nose dive...

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
What it is bro, is these folks on here lie about their gas mileage, because there is no way in hell a hemi gets 20mpg city like some of these morons claim lol.

And like you said, you didn't buy a hemi for the gas mileage.. but yeah that does totally suck.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I think most of you have lost your marbles!!! I drive my car like I stole it going sideways around corners and such and I still get better gas mileage!!! The average on the EVIC says 17.5. I know there is contraversy on it accuracy but I'll do the numbers for the next few fill ups just in case.

I do drive a lot on the freeway by the way....

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
City drivng is hazardous to a HEMI's health!!! I was able to get 22 mpgs on the highway...but that number quickly drops when you start trotting in the city. I had seen my numbers come down to 16-17 mpgs, after having driven a lot of highway beforehand.

·
Registered
141 Posts
13-14 MPG for real city driving is about right, especially when you make lots of stops, climb hills, and rarely go over 45.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i get around 15 to 16 in town and highway i get 24 to 27 that is rare but never have i gotten below 15 in town.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
there is no way you can get 20 mpg in the city with a hemi. The best i could get with my factory wheels was 18 mpg in the city. Now that i have 22's it dropped to 16.

But on the real tip though...get your spark plugs changed, since you bought the car used with 30+k miles on it i doubt the previous owner changed them. I didn't do my spark plug change until 40k miles. I only did it cause i notice a performance drop. It won't hurt to change them...it's only about $30 for 16 plugs.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i agree i never get close to 20, 15 ,16 is the best i can do. if we was getting 20 in the city we sure wouldnt have this power. i like mpg but i really like power and i dont have enough of ether one

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
At least now we have honest hemi members, i wish I could find the thread where some of them claimed 30mpg highway and 25mpg city ROFLMAO

1 - 20 of 53 Posts