Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've now test driven three chargers. I have a couple of experiences and questions. I've been reading these forums for months but my searches are not answering these questions.

The first one was a white. I test drove it saterday. It was supposed to be a rear wheel drive R/T but it had a horrible, floaty ride and uber squishy brakes with no grab. It felt horrible and I thought you guys where insane after reading this forum for the last two months.

After that one, my hubby was like 'maybe you shouldn't get that' and I was starting to agree with him. However, we wanted to try an SXT to see the engine differences.

Yesterday, we go to another dealership. They have a silver rear wheel drive SXT. It has good handling, a nice kick to the engine, hugs the road, and purrs happily. Huh. Why is it so different from what we drove? Did I mention that the salesgirl almost turned it into the guard rail for the sidewalk? I stopped her with less then a fingers width between the car and the rail and walked her through getting the car into an open area.

Second is a plum crazy. The chickie turns it on and it coughs and chuckles to life. I'm already happy and wanting the V8. She has someone else back it out this time. I'm debating how to tell my husband he won't be getting me into the V6. It drives well, hugs the road, begs to be opened up, kicks you back and does everything I've read here.

We're now convinced the first car was ill or something. It was horrible. Is this illness common?

The Plum Crazy is an R/T. I don't want the PC but I want to make sure that a regular R/T engine is not so greatly different that I have to go test drive another one for the comparison with the SXT thats not a PC. I've read that the differences seem to be cosmetic and features and I just want to confirm this since I'm about ready to go down and start the buying process.

When the PC turned on it coughed a bit and some black smoke came out the exhaust. That quickly dissipated. Tell me thats a new car thing. Or am I becoming cursed in my charger hunting?

Is there any mod to install grab handles inside? After having him whip us around through traffic after my half of the test drive I fear not having this. :grin:

I really like the car. I spend most of my time on my sportbike but with winter closing in and my wrangler aging, I need to look into another car and this fits the bill nicely.

I'm over here in Northern VA.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Try to find an RT with the Road & Track pkg. Should be like the PC only without the stickers, etc. The handling on the PC, I believe, is going to be identical to the RT with Road & Track. The regular RT won't feel as "tight" as the Road & Track. Hope this helps.

If you really want to go crazy - test drive the SRT8!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hah! No thanks! I have my motorcycle for that huge high performance 0-60 in 3 seconds feeling. I need gas millage and no gas guzzler tax. However, I'm enough of a performance fiend that I don't think I can settle on the V6.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Im sorry but I had a really hard time reading your post. you said your first test drive was a white. A white what????
The first one was a white. I test drove it saterday.
I know when you think it, it will always sound right, and when you type it, it will always come out wrong. LOL I am not flaming just letting you know.

Anyways. I would go with the R/T with the R&T. That is what I have and I love it. The ride is great. But like what was said above. You always have the SRT!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. It was a white what. The third sentence sts it was supposed to be a white rear wheel drive RT. What it was, I can't tell you. I realize now it also did not have a sticker on the window.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The R/T withOUT the Road and Track package definitely have more of a floaty feel to the ride, and seats don't hold you in place as well, which can augment the feeling of not beeing connected with the car.

The Road and Track package noticeably improves steering response and handling, and once you set the seat up to fit you, it feels like you lock into the car. If you prefer more spirited driving and getting feedback from your car about handling and the road, the Road and Track package would probably suit you more.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The R/T withOUT the Road and Track package definitely have more of a floaty feel to the ride, and seats don't hold you in place as well, which can augment the feeling of not beeing connected with the car.

The Road and Track package noticeably improves steering response and handling, and once you set the seat up to fit you, it feels like you lock into the car. If you prefer more spirited driving and getting feedback from your car about handling and the road, the Road and Track package would probably suit you more.
Agreed. There were no R&T's available when I test drove, so I tried an R/T with R&T. And ordered the R&T sight unseen. And when I bought mine (end of '05), I wanted many of the other options anyway, so I think it was only about $600 more to get R&T that came with the options I wanted anyway.
And I don't miss grab handles, except for getting in and out. My previous SUV had them, so I had to unlearn that habit really. I'm not an un-athletic guy, but I still prefer to have that handle to grab onto and launch, and save the knees.

Anyway, last time I looked that package had been priced up quite a bit, but IMO it's still worth it, for the seats and handling. Forget the 10 HP more, it's irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Basically what everyone is saying. The first R/T was probably one without the Road and Track package. The Plum Crazy and other Daytona's are R/T's with the Road and Track package plus stickers and a numbered plate. So if you don't want the flashy color look for one with the Road and Track package.

The Road and Track package gets you

*Upgraded Seats (some of the best car seats I've sat in)
*Upgraded Suspension with rear leveling shocks
*Upgraded 9 land steering. (It's a steering system that actually increases stiffness based on engine speed)
*20"(07) 18"(06) rims with high speed rated tires
*A freer flowing exhaust and Intake system resulting in an extra 10hp
*A higher speed engine control allowing the car to go up to 148 mph (Regular R/T only up to 128 due to the lower rated tires)

This all makes the Road and Track package a completely different car.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i'm pretty much just backing up what other people said...

i'd advise you to test drive an r/t with the r&t package. package includes better (stiffer and lower) suspension, awesome seats, better intake and exhaust, and better brakes. not sure about the 08's... but the older ones also came w/ nicer wheels..

an rt with the rt package (or a daytona) will seem like a completely different car than the normal rt...

but still the normal rt shouldnt have been as bad as you mentioned... there must've been somethin wrong with it, like maybe the sales girl had been driving it too much lol...

and as for the smoke; my daytona has only smoked once, but it was because i was parked on a pretty steep incline and it was white smoke. other members on the forum have confirmed their cars do the same thing. as for the black smoke... i dk. never seen that on a charger.

·
Registered
928 Posts
believe it or not the RT and the the RT with R&T/daytona ARE much different than the reg RT. Driven both, R&T was for me NO question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts