Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm more of a road course guy instead of a straight liner.
I don't need to go faster since I can break every speed limit in the country anyway with my stock charger.
I don't mind what someone else does.
-------------------------
I bought a rear strut bar today for my Dodge Charger SXT.
It's a really nice car and has a lot of good things from the factory.
The SXT suspension has sway bars as standard.
A sway bar keeps the car from excessive leaning.
A strut bar or strut brace is to stiffen the body.
-------------------------
I have had a factory part numbered strut bar on the front and have had it for some time.
I think bracing the car makes it last longer, as well as making the car safer when you have
to make a sudden move to stay out of crashes, and other reasons.
--------------------------
The rear strut bar I bought is a BMR STB112 which is listed by the factory, as made for Dodge Challengers.
(but the Charger, the 300, and the Challenger share some of the same measurements on some things)

Why BMR?
I must have looked at every design on the market. A lot of them don't consider using the trunk, and don't allow any room. Some of them are for "show".
The factory bar has braces interfering as they go down diagonally to behind the rear seats.
The Richard Petty bar also has diagonal braces interfering, as do several other designs.
Some designs are made so low that they interfere with trunk usage, and some designs are made to be weak,
and the purpose is to brace the car, not to spend money for "show". I don't mind what other people do.
The BMR STB112 goes up near the trunk roof before going down to the opposite side of the car.
------------------------
Folks, you can overspend HUNDREDS for an inferior rear strut bar.
I spent $99.95 for the BMR STB112 bar!
It is just as hefty as the factory front strut bar and as of today, I think I got a good deal.

I may post more about my experience later. For now, you might take a look at their website.
BMR is in Tampa Florida on Sligh Avenue, near exit 10 of I-4.

·
Registered
257 Posts
First off, these cars are stiff from the factory. Unless you're going 12/10 on a road course, they do absolutely NOTHING. It's been tested and proven.

Secondly, if the bar doesn't triangulate to other points on the car, it's even a bigger waste of money than buying the bar to start with. Instead of keeping the "rectangle", a bar that doesn't brace elsewhere (trunk floor, firewall, etc) allows flex making the "rectangle" a parallelogram.

Some guys like the looks of the bars and that's awesome. Marketing and advertising has made people think they're necessary when they truly aren't.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, these cars are stiff from the factory. Unless you're going 12/10 on a road course, they do absolutely NOTHING. It's been tested and proven.

Secondly, if the bar doesn't triangulate to other points on the car, it's even a bigger waste of money than buying the bar to start with. Instead of keeping the "rectangle", a bar that doesn't brace elsewhere (trunk floor, firewall, etc) allows flex making the "rectangle" a parallelogram.

Some guys like the looks of the bars and that's awesome. Marketing and advertising has made people think they're necessary when they truly aren't.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Of course they are not necessary.
Thank you for your opinion.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I guess I'd be leery, or at least ask them, why it only states the Challenger. Most places include sub-models all the time. Maybe the 4-doors are stiffer? Do a lot of other big name brands make them for the Charger?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'd be leery, or at least ask them, why it only states the Challenger. Most places include sub-models all the time. Maybe the 4-doors are stiffer? Do a lot of other big name brands make them for the Charger?
He told me that they are holding off the labelling, until they have someone who has the strut bar mounted on their actual car. There are plenty of charts from different mfg'ers that tell you what they believe interchanges.

An example: My front strut bar lists several models if you are a bolt-on guy. The small engine intake
manifold requires that the purchaser do a bit of clearancing, so some mfg'ers won't list their strut bar as fitting,
............since they don't like returns from bolt-on guys who don't know how to do the owner-required clearancing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts