Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it that my car sits so low. I hear it every time I go over a small gob of roadkill and can't relax on the interstates just worrying about sone big chunk of semi tire or anything else. Due for tires soon so am going with 255 55's which will give me another inch. Wish there was something else to do to give me another 2"

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I have run over some things on the highway, but I don't think our cars sit too low unless it's already lowered 2"!

The 255/55 tire (which I run) will not give you an inch over the OEMs...you have to divide that by 2 which gives you a height increase in ride of a half inch. ...FYI...

Raise 2"? Man, you should have bought a truck!!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Lol, I'm lowering my R/T as soon as I get my hands on a spring compressor.
What springs? How low are you going?

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
you think it's too low? man these thing look like freakin trucks sitting at the stock height

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I hate it that my car sits so low. I hear it every time I go over a small gob of roadkill and can't relax on the interstates just worrying about sone big chunk of semi tire or anything else. Due for tires soon so am going with 255 55's which will give me another inch. Wish there was something else to do to give me another 2"

we still talkin about the daytona here?? :bigthumb: Sorry had to bust that one out hahah

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Wow never read a too low thread. Here I am trying to drop 2" all around.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Daytona sits pretty high, but you can always get it raised an inch. It won't look right at the wheel-wells, so the bigger tires will help balance that off. If you really want to see a clearance problem... take a look at the SRT. It's lowered another 1.5 inches and has skirts all-around.

I 'may' be lowering my Daytona in the future (for better handling reasons), but am not looking forward to scraping the road in 'uneven' conditions (dips, bumps). Also, one thing to keep in mind - the design of the LX frame (300, Charger, Magnum) pushes the wheels out to the front and rear of the car, which helps (in my opinion) when you have to go up a steep driveway (transitioning from level curb to steep incline). Although, on-rare-occasion, you could straddle a bump on the crest of a hill, but that's highly unlikely unless you are off-road.

So... yes, if the Daytona is too low for you, raise it an inch. Does anyone have a suggestion on a kit for this?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Maybe he has the Daytona truck?

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I've never understood the lowering craze personally. All the pictures I've seen of lowered Chargers make them look like hovercraft, with the skirt all the way to the ground. Still, tastes vary.

As for stock clearance on a Daytona, it's pretty reasonable. You'd have to go over something pretty substantial to actually do damage. Like say... a person. So, I'll avoid asking you what sorts of road-kill you're rolling over every day. <Grin>

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
angles are your friend

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've got the bare bones stock :sad: R/T and i hit a truck tire tread about 2 weeks after I bought it and the only thing that happened was I now have a few light marks on the black plastic side skirts that come with the R&T package. Handled it like a champ. Took the tread right at the fog light and there is not a scratch or mark or crack anywhere other than the side skirt! I wouldn't worry too much unless you're facing a few feet of snow at once this winter. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to agree with Anguish on this one. I think the car is fine at it's stock height, and don't feel the love when looking at a lowered Charger. To each his own though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is all stock but what worries me is the crossmember,I believe there is only about 5 to 5 1/2 " clearance there

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I've never understood the lowering craze personally. All the pictures I've seen of lowered Chargers make them look like hovercraft, with the skirt all the way to the ground. Still, tastes vary.

As for stock clearance on a Daytona, it's pretty reasonable. You'd have to go over something pretty substantial to actually do damage. Like say... a person. So, I'll avoid asking you what sorts of road-kill you're rolling over every day. <Grin>
The point of me lowering my SRT8 is performance pure and simple. I am not going for the hot look, I want to lower the center of gravity. Of course I compete with my car autocrossing with SCCA.

I think most people who lower their car are trying to give it a high performance look. They might never push the car to the limits going around the corner, but they want it to look like it could do it if they wanted to!

If the made a Ferrari as high as the Daytona is would look plain silly.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
The point of me lowering my SRT8 is performance pure and simple. I am not going for the hot look, I want to lower the center of gravity. Of course I compete with my car autocrossing with SCCA.

I think most people who lower their car are trying to give it a high performance look. They might never push the car to the limits going around the corner, but they want it to look like it could do it if they wanted to!

If the made a Ferrari as high as the Daytona is would look plain silly.
That's all fair. I won't argue with it. You make a decent point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts