Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Explain it to me. I have had quite a few cars in my life of 62 years. All used cars paid cash. Had 3 Mercedes, a BMW 3 series, a Sable, a conversion van , and a Buick Park Ave. So looking now for car and this time. I considered a used cadillac dts which has gotten good reviews or an suv. But when I got into a Charger rt for the first time I loved it. The body and just the feel. I was hooked on a hemi. Then the Chrysler 300 c was great. Then test drove both cars in srt8 version. The acceleration and not only the power but the seats were fabulous. Is the excitement shortlived ?

I mentioned the Mercedes and Bmw. I liked the cars because of the name more than anything. Good cars but something about the rt and srt8 that has got me hooked. I don't even want to look at a cadillac or suv. Am I nuts?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Welcome to Dodge my friend.
Sure, those have the names... Only you will know what you have under the hood and under your tush!
Btw in what those try to advertise by name and price, Dodge does somewhat domestic. Price is low because it is more domestic than the others.
My boss was stationed in Japan, and when he lived there he had a GT-R. Said it was cheaper than dirt. But coming here it is 100k+
Now he is looking into getting a Challenger. He says he is loving all aspects of it. The power, the look, the feel of the traditional muscle car. And for 35K ish for an SRT 2013(he has been negotiating with dealer and is a repeat customer thus the awesome price) he says the same car overseas may be just about 90k+
So when you look at names and price, people dont realize import costs, reengineering costs, certification and DOT costs.
Chrysler is the lux brand, Dodge is the Sport brand.
There is nothing wrong with what you are feeling, and drive it with pride!
At the end of the day, you may have 2 steeds in the stable over someone else's proclaimed unicorn!
Jeep has even been compared and preferred over Range Rovers/Land Rovers etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are old school like me - you have to get over the fact that you want to drive a "Dodge". Sure - there are lots of old school Mopar people - but the rest of us didn't care much for the old school stuff. I myself was always a GM guy. From my first 72 Skylark, up through the Grand Nationals in 87, I stayed true... The fact is today - GM isn't doing it... at all. Chrylser is kicking it with their models and giving someone like me (mid 40s) what I want. A vehicle I can put the family in and go to dinner, flip down the back seat and put all my band stuff in, and mash the "go pedal" down and get that ear to ear grin.

Do it my friend - get the Charger.... You wont be sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Get the SRT8.

The R/T is nice, but if you have the extra $$$, go SRT8.

I had the V6 for 2 years and loved it, but needed more power. I've been driving the 5.7L Eagle (2009+ engine) for almost 4 years and 100k miles. I take it to the drag strip and race it occasionally, I still look forward to hearing the Hemi every time I grab the keys. EVERY TIME. It hasn't gotten old yet.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I had the R/T and now I have the SRT and never looked back. You'll love it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Registered
722 Posts
The first gen (2005-2010) are basically an E Class Mercedes with a Hemi. Not sure how much of Mercedes DNA is in the newer cars but probably still quite a bit.

I have had my 07 since it was new and I still get a thrill every time I get in it. SRT, more power, better handling and brakes and nicer seats but more $ though the R/T is not exactly shabby. So take your pick and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i'm 62 also.. had lots of different cars, a few muscle cars in my early years. this is my first Hemi. i was going to just get an R/T, but fortunately all my offers were turned down, and i got a used Charger SRT8. Really glad i didn't get the R/T now. The wife said i had to have 4 doors, otherwise i would have probably got a Challenger SRT8.
compared to my 67 Mustang and 74 Camaro, which were really quick at the time, the Charger is quicker and does it with a lot less fuss, less tinkering and tuning and way more reliable and comfortable. my next car/jeep will probably be another SRT8.. the experience so far has been worth every penny.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The RT is a fantastic ride but the SRT is a whole different animal that you pay a premium for but worth every penny imo. Go test drive a SRT you will see why so many of the members here love it. It will put a goofy smile on your face every time you get in it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you are old school like me - you have to get over the fact that you want to drive a "Dodge". Sure - there are lots of old school Mopar people - but the rest of us didn't care much for the old school stuff. I myself was always a GM guy. From my first 72 Skylark, up through the Grand Nationals in 87, I stayed true... The fact is today - GM isn't doing it... at all. Chrylser is kicking it with their models and giving someone like me (mid 40s) what I want. A vehicle I can put the family in and go to dinner, flip down the back seat and put all my band stuff in, and mash the "go pedal" down and get that ear to ear grin.

Do it my friend - get the Charger.... You wont be sorry.
Well said! Being a former GM guy myself, I could not agree more with you.

GTO_04

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
IDK Mr. Snacks. This is beginning to feel like shopping for a new purse with my wife. You've started a half a dozen threads asking for opinions and input, but you still haven't made up your mind.

Nearly everyone has said buy the SRT when you asked the question directly.

Time to make up your mind and stop the inquiries. Buy the damned car!

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
IDK Mr. Snacks. This is beginning to feel like shopping for a new purse with my wife. You've started a half a dozen threads asking for opinions and input, but you still haven't made up your mind.
:clap:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Explain it to me. I have had quite a few cars in my life of 62 years. All used cars paid cash. Had 3 Mercedes, a BMW 3 series, a Sable, a conversion van , and a Buick Park Ave. So looking now for car and this time. I considered a used cadillac dts which has gotten good reviews or an suv. But when I got into a Charger rt for the first time I loved it. The body and just the feel. I was hooked on a hemi. Then the Chrysler 300 c was great. Then test drove both cars in srt8 version. The acceleration and not only the power but the seats were fabulous. Is the excitement shortlived ?

I mentioned the Mercedes and Bmw. I liked the cars because of the name more than anything. Good cars but something about the rt and srt8 that has got me hooked. I don't even want to look at a cadillac or suv. Am I nuts?
I just turned 24 several days ago (bought a 2014 R/T Max the day after my birthday), but I've also owned quite a few vehicles (13 to be exact) including a Cadillac CTS, BMW Z3, and Jaguar X-Type so I can relate to your luxury car desires. Before I bought the Charger, I was looking into a 2008-2013 Cadillac CTS as I owned a 2007 CTS a couple years ago and loved it. I decided to go with the Charger because in my opinion it looks nicer, is significantly more powerful, and has more options than a comparable CTS Premium from what I observed. Since you are used to luxury cars then I will bring up the bottom section of the seat is very comfortable, but the back section of the seat is firm and not plush which you will notice for drives that are longer than a "test drive". Other than that the only complaint I have about the Charger is the stock exhaust is way too quiet for a V8, but that is something that can easily be fixed with an aftermarket exhaust...you may not even have an issue with the sound.

I have never driven the SRT8 because they only make them in RWD and I live in upstate NY so I needed something with AWD as my daily driver for the winters. Plus I have a 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 so I don't really "need" another high horsepower RWD sports/muscle car. The R/T has 370 hp vs the 470 hp that the SRT8 has. If you live in the Northeast like I do or a location where you get a lot of snow and you're planning on making this a daily driver then I'd recommend the R/T. However, if you are looking at buying a car as a weekend driver or live in the South or a location that doesn't snow then I'd go with the SRT8...just my opinion.

Oh, as far as the does the excitement get short lived part: When I first test drove a R/T and stepped on it, it threw me back in my seat but I was somewhat disappointed in it AT FIRST. I was comparing it to the Viper which is like comparing apples to oranges so it was a bias comparison. I then looked at the Charger for what it is: a sedan that weighs around 4,300 lbs (give or take a hundred) and all I can say is I have never been in a sedan that threw me back in my seat like the R/T did. According to the internet, the Charger will do 0-60 mph faster than my first car (a 1996 Firebird Formula) and my friend's Camaro Z28.

I hope you found this useful and good luck in whatever decision you make!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Your story was helpful. Sounds like you got some money to play with. I can get tbe used charger srt8 but have little as a nest egg to go to . The rt I may have to settle for. The difference between the 2 is around $4500 or more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're welcome. I did a quick search on ebay and you can get a "1st generation" SRT8 for under $25k with under 40k miles. To be fair, you could get a 2011 R/T with less miles for the same price. I'd say the next few months will be a buyer's market considering most people will be paying off their debt and bills from the holidays (or selling their toys to be able to pay the bills) and won't be looking for a new car until they get their tax returns back so I'm sure there will be deals to be made if you have the patience and determination to search ebay, craigslist, autotrader, cargurus, etc. on a daily basis. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a SRT8 from a private individual for the same price (or close to it) as a dealer would charge you for a R/T if that is the route you want to go. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
that is ironic! When i was car shopping, i saw quite a few gtos on dodge dealer parking lots. Guess those owners didn't go back to gm after pontiac got axed.

Gto_04:beerchug:
gto_04

·
Registered
183 Posts

Nearly everyone has said buy the SRT when you asked the question directly.

Time to make up your mind and stop the inquiries. Buy the damned car!
Lol now that's funny. For me shopping for a car with the wife is like hunting with a game warden. Its no dam fun.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol now that's funny. That the best way to describe buying a car when you ask for your wife's input for something you both agree on. I'm with Ddaddy on this one though sh*t or get off the pot.
--------------------'
It is funny and it's easy to say.dDaddy is shopping for a purse, shoes or a dress for his wife and dDaddy doesn't say to his wife who is taking 3 hours to decide which purse to buy sh*t or get off the pot honey. Its like dancing with the gorrilla. You stop dancing when the gorrilla is done, not before.

I am considering options. Some here have mentioned thst they should've bought the srt instead theg got the rt. Sometimes when you got to take s sh*t, wait. Lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
I test drove a 2010 SRT Challenger and while it was a lot of fun, for over $40k(Canadian).. I think you'd be crazy to buy a 6.1L SRT car. Not fast enough for the price they have.

Haven't had the pleasure of driving a 6.4L car yet, maybe the increased power is enough to justify the high price.

I suggest you spend more and get a 6.4L car, you may feel you overpaid with a 6.1L.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts