Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Charger SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Charger SE base model. I was driving on a road with water on it. I noticed the water was getting deeper so I stopped and tried to run around. As soon as I stopped my car jolted a little bit. Then it wouldn’t shift and the brakes locked up as in I couldn’t press them. After about two hours I was able to get some help and it’s currently in a parking lot. It’s still currently raining and supposed to rain for a few days. I was told to check the spark plugs and the air filter and all. But could this be hydrolocked? The water wasn’t even up to the door let alone the hood or engine. Everything else still works, windows radio a/c everything it just won’t start or shift now. There’s a check engine light on. Right now I’m just waiting for everything to dry before I do anything. Any help or recommendations?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
If you have comprehensive insurance coverage, call your insurance company and start a claim.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
The lower air duct in the wheel well will scoop up lots of water, doesn't have to be too deep on the road, it will pile up in the grille and flood the wheel well. Pull the air filter, if it is soaked you probably hydro locked her..

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 WB SP
240 Posts
The lower air duct in the wheel well will scoop up lots of water, doesn't have to be too deep on the road, it will pile up in the grille and flood the wheel well. Pull the air filter, if it is soaked you probably hydro locked her..
I did a little Googling and have found out this is kind of a thing for Chargers. Lots of posts with similar stories.

Edit: splelling

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
That is why I removed that lower duct from both cars--water will have to get a lot higher (Scat Pack & Hellcat don't have the lower duct at all, so it is all good)

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Charger SE
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I checked the air filter it was soaking wet :/

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Yeah I checked the air filter it was soaking wet :/
Sorry to hear but I would not do anything else to the car and call my insurance company.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,181 Posts
Damn! Next time I work near mine its coming out...........

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Damn! Next time I work near mine its coming out...........
Keeping the lower splash shields installed is important too. Every car I've owned with a performance engine has worried me because they all induct air at grill level or below and all sit low. Anyone that has driven through a deep dip at a crossroad that serves as water drainage during heavy rain knows how that front end creates a bow wave of rising water in front. It's just the luck of the draw if that water misses the air intake. There have been a couple times during heavy rains that I just kept the car parked ,even after the storms passing, and took something more water resistant.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Bring back carburetors...with air inlets high..And the hood scoops were really functional....Don't recall much talk of hydrolocking back then ! No, not serious...Fuel injection has too many good points

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Factory engineers , knowing the risk of low mounted air inlets, What advantage do they seek...?
To make the engine QUIET.. that is the only reason reason for that duct.. when I removed mine I was reward with beautiful sound

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,181 Posts
Even if you left the lower inlet on, when you installed the HellCat snorkel you you prevented any water draw there. As soon as water covered that inlet it would pull all from the HC Snorkel.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2021 WB SP
240 Posts
Factory engineers , knowing the risk of low mounted air inlets, What advantage do they seek...?
Sound mitigation as Kraut master said. Sometimes they will even be referred to as intake mufflers or intake resonators.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
They have a bazzilion different ducts for various trim levels, the ones for the Chrysler 300 have bizarre anti resonance chambers and holes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thnx for all the info on air inlets....You would think with all the storms, hurricanes, flooding we now have to live with...those engineers may want to reconsider the sound vrs hydrolock vunerability..!
Or does our EPA have a limit on intake sounds...Ha !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 Charger SE base model. I was driving on a road with water on it. I noticed the water was getting deeper so I stopped and tried to run around. As soon as I stopped my car jolted a little bit. Then it wouldn’t shift and the brakes locked up as in I couldn’t press them. After about two hours I was able to get some help and it’s currently in a parking lot. It’s still currently raining and supposed to rain for a few days. I was told to check the spark plugs and the air filter and all. But could this be hydrolocked? The water wasn’t even up to the door let alone the hood or engine. Everything else still works, windows radio a/c everything it just won’t start or shift now. There’s a check engine light on. Right now I’m just waiting for everything to dry before I do anything. Any help or recommendations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem my dad told me to take the oil pen out and put oil in and turn the motor few times and put any kind of oil and keeping that and see what happens and then put the normal oil you put in the car

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,181 Posts
Krautmaster, didn't I read you pulled your horned inlet off? I read once on Allpar some pursuits had an intake that prevented hydro lock but cannot find it now.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I have the same problem my dad told me to take the oil pen out and put oil in and turn the motor few times and put any kind of oil and keeping that and see what happens and then put the normal oil you put in the car
That sounds more like the procedure for a submerged engine, one that was not running when it went under.

If a running engine ingests water, it almost has to be damaged. Does it run at all? Look at what water did to this piston and rod..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts