Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 charger rt and this past summer my ac stopped blowing hard. There are times in which it will blow normally but lately it has gotten weaker or it stops working all together. Other times when I have it on a higher fan setting, it will blow off and on or at different strengths. I am thinking it is the blower motor, because the air is still cold. I do not think it has to do with a fuse because it occasionally will come on like normal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Are you running the HVAC in "Auto" mode or in manual mode?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The HVAC uses a blower motor power module to control the blower motor speed. It could be this module that's causing the problem. On earlier Chargers the blower motor power module is mounted to the rear of the HVAC housing, directly behind the glove box. Check the wires/connectors attached to the blower motor power module to make sure they're plugged-in tight.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have a 2016 charger rt and this past summer my ac stopped blowing hard. There are times in which it will blow normally but lately it has gotten weaker or it stops working all together. Other times when I have it on a higher fan setting, it will blow off and on or at different strengths. I am thinking it is the blower motor, because the air is still cold. I do not think it has to do with a fuse because it occasionally will come on like normal. Any thoughts?
Hi ethong_81,
I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Charger. If you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The HVAC uses a blower motor power module to control the blower motor speed. It could be this module that's causing the problem. On earlier Chargers the blower motor power module is mounted to the rear of the HVAC housing, directly behind the glove box. Check the wires/connectors attached to the blower motor power module to make sure they're plugged-in tight.

View attachment 291183
Hello, I tried looking for that module but I could not find anything that resembled this. This is what my ac does when it acts up. Video of my ac

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
They may have changed the design for the 2015+ models and either relocated the module or use a different component. If you have a OBD2/CAN scanner that can read all codes (not just Pxxxx powertrain codes) plug it into the car's OBD2 port and see if there's any diagnostic trouble codes logged. The HVAC codes are Bxxxx Body codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had the OBD2 scanned multiple times including by the dealership but there have been no codes found relating to that. I did have a code thrown about an EVAP Purge Valve leak. Since it isn't included in my warranty the dealer will not help. I'm stuck in the water.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Maybe a forum member with knowledge of the 2015+ HVAC system will have some input.
The blower motor speed control uses Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) voltage. With the blower motor power module the PWM voltage is applied to a comparator circuit which compares the PWM signal voltage to the blower motor feedback voltage. The resulting output drives the power module, which provides a linear output voltage to change or maintain the desired blower speed. The newer models may apply the PWM voltage directly to the blower motor to control speed ... I don't know.
Unless there's a DTC logged, or you have the diagnostic equipment to check the circuit, it's difficult to pin-point what's causing the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts